The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 4, 2018, 09:28 AM   #26
feets

While perusing the gun show on Saturday I stumbled across a 10" octagonal 30 carbine barrel for my Contender. It was at a good price so it followed me home. That afternoon saw the temp hit 100 degrees outside so I grabbed the new toy and my 30 carbine Blackhawk for a trip to the indoor range.
Yes, 30 carbine handguns are a hoot at an indoor facility.

After burning up 100 rounds (and allowing other curious shooters try the Blackhawk) I packed up to leave. Stepping into the retail area of the facility gave me the pleasure of seeing some kid who looked barely old enough to buy a gun step through the door with a somewhat lost look on his face. We've all seen the typical beginner appearance. Well, this guy fit the bill. Tan cap on backwards, black T-shirt, tan pants, unkept approaching-mid-length black hair, and a fully Tapco'd tan and black AR hanging from a chest rig.
You could see by his expression that he was harmless an unsure of himself but he really wanted to fit in. I suppose he didn't expect to see people dress like, well, people with their guns politely put away.

This kid simply didn't know what he was doing but he really wanted to look like an old hand.

I'm no FUDD. In fact, I've done work on several ARs. I don't particularly care for them (prefer Garand actions) but I have no problems with other owning or shooting them.
Old June 5, 2018, 09:14 AM   #27
CLC

Lol. I never once said I hated FUDDs. If shooters are being safe I dont care how you look or what you shoot. For the most part I mind my own business. So if this wasnt a saftey issue, in what way were you effected? Honestly lots of young people are getting into shooting sports because of semi autos and AR type rifles. We needs those young people right now.

Also, some of us only have public ranges to shoot at.
Old June 5, 2018, 09:35 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

About caps on backwards. There is a sociological explanation of why that habit became cool among the young. Not for here.

Anyway - when I see it on the range, it's stupid unless the bream actually interferes with a scope (so adjust it).

Here's a reference for the cool guy. https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....-on-the-range/

At a recent match, a young lady and stud came out to shoot for the first time. They had their caps on backwards. During the match, I casually mentioned to her to reverse it to prevent brass hits. She saw the wisdom of that. Stud was annoyed but she thanked me at the end of the match as she saw brass flying around.
Old June 5, 2018, 04:50 PM   #29
J.G. Terry

A Couple of points about the mall ninjas etc.

A Couple of points about the mall ninjas etc. First up, I've not heard of any of these mass shooters belonging to any shooting organization. The anti-gunners use the mall ninjas and tacticool types as stereotypes in propaganda. The faux commandos are poster children for the anti-gun groups and their fellow travelers. Providence is unkind to us when the tacticool's and mall ninja's show up as spokespersons in the media.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; June 5, 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old June 5, 2018, 06:23 PM   #30
Onward Allusion

Ya know, us gun owners/shooters are a funny lot.
Old June 5, 2018, 06:49 PM   #31
xandi

So I guess my Alice web gear is fine then? It’s not a chess rig(;
I like the mall ninjas, they leave all that once fired brass
Old June 5, 2018, 06:55 PM   #32
CLC

Sounds like a solid case of "Stop liking things I dont like!".
Xandi - people like op will tell you to stop playing army man
Old June 5, 2018, 07:27 PM   #33
MTT TL

Quote:
First up, I've not heard of any of these mass shooters belonging to any shooting organization
Nicholas Cruz was on an NRA sponsored air rifle team. There were likely others.
Old June 7, 2018, 08:35 AM   #34
J.G. Terry

Who is a menace:

Who is a menace: Don't you think we would have heard all about recent school mass shooters being in the NRA? With the media doing background checks such membership would had been left out? Don't think so. May be wrong, but don't think so. I'd appreciate an example other than the air rifle team. Many of these people are mentally ill isolates that don't join anything.

One AR shooter comes to the range where we shoot with match grade AR. He is shooting way less than 1" groups at 100 yards. He is shooting factory match grade cartridges loaded with Sierra match bullets. Nothing from China or Russia His scope is a Nightforce with a back up fo top of the line Vortex. His ensemble runs in the thousands. You don't hear much about these people just the Mall Ninjas and Tacticool people.
Old June 7, 2018, 10:16 AM   #35
kmw1954

I have no problem with people enjoying themselves, their friends and their sport. Though I do get nervous when people start running franticly around a range with loaded firearms of any kind. If someone wants to rapid-fire their pistols or semi auto rifles what should I care. I'm not paying for their ammo and as long as they are doing so in a safe manner then go for it.

I will say as someone else mentioned, being at a range that is set up where your neighbors brass is raining down on you is no fun. All lanes should be far enough apart or have dividers so this doesn't happen.

Wear to the range whatever makes you comfortable but when I was teaching my wife I warned her to wear a tight neck and long sleeves and she still got one down the front of her shirt!
Old June 7, 2018, 10:51 AM   #36
drobs

A few years ago shortly after moving to Missouri from Illinois I assembled an AR from a parts kit. Figured I'd go show it to my buddies at the gun shop in town.

Pulled a gun case out the closet, put the gun in the case, put the cased gun in the back of the cab of my pickup and thought to myself...

What the hell am I doing? This Missouri!

Pulled the cased gun out of the back of the pickup. Took the gun out of the case. Inserted a loaded 30rd mag, put the gun on the passenger seat, muzzle on the floor, and drove into town.

Once in town, ejected the mag while still in my pickup, and walked into the gun shop with the gun.
Old June 8, 2018, 02:26 PM   #37
SIGSHR

As long as people don't be poseurs with "war stories" and practice safe gunhandling and range-and-general courtesy-if they want to be "tacticool", that's fine with me. Perhaps there should be a "Tacticool Shooting Society"-like SASS or the N-SSA or the Zootshooters.
Old June 8, 2018, 02:37 PM   #38
rickyrick

I used to have a few chuckles to myself when people started dressing like a Hollywood mercenary, but now I mostly ignore it.
Old June 9, 2018, 12:52 PM   #39
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This is really not so different than that Hogg kid trying to get the AR-15 banned because it was used to kill students.
Um...yes. Yes it is.

I really dislike the whole "Fudd" concept. It creates an arbitrary wedge between us at a time we need unity, and for what? So one group of people can feel superior to another?

No thanks. I had that kind of drivel from the old coots who judged me for my age and appearance when I started competition back in the day.

If there's anything that serves the goals of the other side, it's this kind of infighting among us.

Quote:
I like the mall ninjas, they leave all that once fired brass
We...I mean, they don't need it. The true mall ninja runs silent and deep, and he gets all his brass from the remains of crashed flying saucers.
Old June 10, 2018, 01:51 AM   #40
Machineguntony

Gun owners can be a little too uptight. As long as the activity is safe and not dangerous, there’s nothing wrong with having fun, even if the fun involves garish displays.

I’ll be the first to admit that, except for my EDC gun, every single gun I own is a show and tell toy, and nothing more. Like a prized show dog, my guns deserve to be handled, ogled, look at, talked about, and touched, preferably by women.
Old July 6, 2018, 08:13 AM   #41
J.G. Terry

Don't confuse me with the facts...go my mind made up!

Who shooter where and when: There is a difference here at the club. The people with serious match grade AR's shoot on one range. The magazine dumpers go to another range. To say all AR's owners are mall ninjas is a gross over generalization. On the other hand which type of shooter draws the most attention? Us ordinary people are collateral damage to the mall ninjas and the like.

On of my pet peeves has to do with the anti-gun folks. I went to an anti-gun meeting recently. There, it was evident that there was little firearm knowledge. I was explaining background checks and prohibitions of firearms ownership. A woman asked the mic before I was finished. She went on a rant about the whole situation had to do with Evangelicals-as in an evil influence. Went on to explain how domestic abuse exempted ownership. These folks abruptly adjourned the meeting. One lady approached me after the meeting stating, among other things, that we should do it like Australia. Did not have chance that Australia has a active shooting and hunting community to this day. None of these anti-gun people ever offered the means of collecting fifty-three million assault like firearms. How would these people respond to the suggestion that America would become a police state. Don't holler continue to explain.
Old July 6, 2018, 09:40 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
What the hell am I doing? This Missouri!

Pulled the cased gun out of the back of the pickup. Took the gun out of the case. Inserted a loaded 30rd mag, put the gun on the passenger seat, muzzle on the floor, and drove into town.
Actually a good question, what the hell are you doing??? I don't know about Missouri, but in my state, what you would be doing is breaking the law!!!

Loaded rifle in a motor vehicle is verboten in my state, and several others I know of. So is loaded shotgun. Loaded handgun is allowed only IF WORN ON THE PERSON.

And, YOU don't get to decide what is, and is not loaded, your state does. Some places recognize that its not "loaded" without a round in the chamber. Other places define loaded differently. If there are rounds in the gun (chamber loaded OR NOT) its legally "loaded" Some places consider the gun legally loaded if you, the ammunition, and the firearm are all in the same vehicle compartment.

So what the hell were you doing??
Old July 6, 2018, 09:49 AM   #43
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
I used to have a few chuckles to myself when people started dressing like a Hollywood mercenary, but now I mostly ignore it.
Some are easier to ignore than others.

Old July 6, 2018, 12:11 PM   #44
aarondhgraham

^^^ I would love to know the truth behind that image. ^^^

It could be a mall ninja or it could be a fat soldier in training.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 6, 2018, 01:05 PM   #45
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I always assumed it was a bunch of kids playing paintball.
Old July 6, 2018, 02:48 PM   #46
MTT TL

Quote:
^^^ I would love to know the truth behind that image. ^^^
They are all mannequins.
Old July 6, 2018, 02:56 PM   #47
MTT TL

Quote:
Quote:
Actually a good question, what the hell are you doing??? I don't know about Missouri, but in my state, what you would be doing is breaking the law!!!
This is not illegal in Missouri. Nor my home state either.
Old July 6, 2018, 04:37 PM   #48
aarondhgraham

Quote:
I always assumed it was a bunch of kids playing paintball.
That belt-fed don't look like no paintball gun,,,
And isn't that boxy think on the rifle looks a bit sophisticated a bit like a laser.

I'm no expert at all,,,
But it looks like real gear to me.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 7, 2018, 03:40 AM   #49
armoredman

Loaded rifle in a vehicle is not illegal in AZ, either, just a very unwieldly thing with very limited utility inside the vehicle.
We get the posers on the rang,e too - call them Tactical Tommy. Most of them also can't seem to shoot straight past 50 yards without being prone, bipod and scope. Very nice gear, lots of money spent...limited practical abilities, seemingly. Perhaps, not being an "operator" myself, not on my best day 30 years ago, maybe I'm missing what they are doing well. I do get some looks from them at my BREN 805 sometimes, like what I am doing with a rifle like that without a chest rig, thigh holster, tactical glasses and SEAL beard.
Old July 7, 2018, 04:54 AM   #50
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Most of them also can't seem to shoot straight past 50 yards without being prone, bipod and scope.
Sounds a lot like the last two weekends before deer season here, but with deer rifles. Can you imagine the audacity of some of those guys showing up to the range in field clothes, like they were real hunters or something? Some have the nerve to wear camo to the range. {sarcasm}

The notion of calling the folks 'posers' does bespeak snobbery as noted above, like when you were back in school did not considered certain people cool enough to wear certain styles of clothing.

I can't see why people would get bent out of shape because somebody isn't wearing the right clothing or gear...a style decision. Stop worrying about what other folks are wearing and worry about your own targets.