The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 18, 2018, 07:54 PM   #1
LineStretcher

Thompson Encore Hunter

Got a buddy that has this rifle with barrels in .308, 7mm Rem Mag and 500 S&W. He wants me to give him 1500.00 for it. I know why he's selling it so I'm more about helping him out rather than wanting the rifle. This model can also convert to a pistol. A 30-06 pistol would be interesting.

He sent me a picture of it and I'm going to go get it later this week. Interesting single shot rifle if nothing else.
Old June 18, 2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Ruga Booga

I have a couple different TC pro hunters. One in 444 Marlin and one 500 S&W. The 500 with 275 grain Corbon ammo really vaporizes watermelons. They are quality firearms for sure. Both mine have a Bellm no. 3 spring kit. Very very light trigger pull on both of them and much tighter lockup
Old June 18, 2018, 09:51 PM   #3
LineStretcher

Quote:
I have a couple different TC pro hunters. One in 444 Marlin and one 500 S&W. The 500 with 275 grain Corbon ammo really vaporizes watermelons. They are quality firearms for sure. Both mine have a Bellm no. 3 spring kit. Very very light trigger pull on both of them and much tighter lockup
After reading about it on the Thompson website it does seem to be an intriguing rifle or pistol if I get the additional barrel(s), grip and handguard. Honestly though, it will probably just sit in my safe until my buddy gets back on his feet. He has medical issues and bills to pay right now but he always rebounds and I know he's offering it to me because he knows he can have it back when life gets better for him. It hurts to sell a rifle that you've wanted all your life and I know that so it's his when he wants it.
Old June 19, 2018, 04:42 AM   #4
fourbore

Conversion of an encore rifle, sold as a rifle to a pistol is a major felony. You need to verify the frame was sold as a pistol frame. I think you can ask TC to lookup the serial number and make sure they paid the federal tax for a pistol prior to sale. IMHO a legal mess. I think odds are no one would ever know. It is a risk I would not take. I mean a risk without checking out the frame in question. If I got it transfered as a pistol VIA an FFL, that would satisfy me. I guess.

As for the price. I think a new frame and stock is probably $4-500. They just ran a rebate sale. Barrels start at $350 each. It is only a fair deal if you actually want those exact barrels and willing to pay full/max price. Or you get a scope and some rings.

If your friend needs a loan and you want to help, by all means - yes. Otherwise, I would want "my choice" or barrels for a price like that.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:02 AM   #5
cptjack

bought one wit 4 barrels and 3 scopes. little cheaper than that ,the22 250 is a tack driver
Old June 19, 2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Pahoo

Might be a good deal !!!

Quote:
Conversion of an encore rifle, sold as a rifle to a pistol is a major felony
You need to do a little more homework as this is not the case for the Contenders or Encore family. The courts settled this, a number of years ago...

LineStretcher

This is a fair retail price if these calibers interest you. As far as converting them to a pistol, The required furniture is pricey and not fun to shoot. I have hunted with lower calibers and presented a number of surprises. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2018, 08:49 PM   #7
LineStretcher

I picked up the rifle today and it is pristine. The 500 barrel has 32 rounds through it, the 308 has 40 and the 7mm rem mag has zero. The 308 is a Thompson barrel while the 500 and 7mm are both match grade machine company (MGM) barrels. the 500 has iron sights and 308 and the 7mm both have weaver bases. Today, I can have barrels made for 650.00 each plus shipping.

I think the price I paid is on the upper end and I didnt haggle since I was helping a friend. I did tell him to take the money and pay me back when he could but his pride wouldn't let him do that.

I cleaned it all up and oiled it for safe storage so if he ever wants it back he can have it.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:04 PM   #8
LineStretcher

Quote:
Conversion of an encore rifle, sold as a rifle to a pistol is a major felony. You need to verify the frame was sold as a pistol frame.
If I was to do that it would still be a legal 16" rifle but I would have to pay the 200.00 to register it as a short barreled rifle if I put the pistol grip on it. It is legal. Originally, the rifle was sold as a kit with a separate pistol action. That was sold prior to my purchasing the rifle.
Old June 23, 2018, 10:52 AM   #9
LineStretcher

Changed my mind, (I can do that can't I).. LOL.. I put the 7mm Rem Mag barrel on it and a mgm barrel matched full length Weaver style base. I have a setup that I put together that allows me to laser align bases to barrels. Sometimes I have to do a little machining on my mill but most of the time they're within my OCD tolerances. I developed my little system so I can swap scopes from rifle to rifle and still have a pretty good chance that they'll only take minor adjustments at the range. But I digress.

I already have a .308 that shoots very well and I have a .500 S&W Revolver that makes more sense to carry in Bear country than a single shot rifle. The only logical move was to put the brand new, never been shot, 7mm Rem Mag barrel on it and break it in. I also had a 100 rounds of new factory 7mm Rem Mag that I got from a buddy so, why the heck not use them.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore
Conversion of an encore rifle, sold as a rifle to a pistol is a major felony. You need to verify the frame was sold as a pistol frame. I think you can ask TC to lookup the serial number and make sure they paid the federal tax for a pistol prior to sale. IMHO a legal mess. I think odds are no one would ever know.
It has been said, but in order to clarify with actual documentation, this is NOT true and has not been for quite a long time.

From the article:
Quote:
Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or reassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made.