The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 3, 2016, 09:19 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Magnified red dot, 2x-4x

Does anyone make a red dot that has small amount of magnification like 2x-4x (not variable).
I want something with quick target acquisition but still a bit of magnification to help see target at 100-150yds. I have see magnifiers for red dots but I dont want a 2pc unit on a rail mount. I want a single unit preferably a reflex style but I can work with a tube style if thats all thats available. Needs to be a quality unit that will handle big recoil. Also it needs to be a tight mount for handgun. Under $2k
I currently have a Lueopold 2-8x on top of my XVR. The scope is great for target shooting but the view is to restricted for quick acquisition of game.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 3, 2016, 10:42 AM   #2
rpseraph

So just to clarify... you want a 2-4 power red dot sight for PISTOL, to shoot out to 100-150 yards?
Old August 3, 2016, 11:21 AM   #3
BoogieMan

Correct. I want a 2x, 3x, 4x to shoot out to 100yds.
If I cant find a magnified version I will settle for a RMR or Delta Point or similar.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 9, 2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Venom1956

they dont really make magnified reddots. They dont work that way. An illuminated reticle on a variable pistol scope would be about what you want.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 9, 2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Pahoo

How about illuminated reticle, low power optics ??

Quote:
they dont really make magnified reddots.
Well, they use to and don't know if they are available anymore. The ones I remember were fixed very low power, like 2X. ......

However, not all is lost as you can get a variable, low range scope, with illuminated reticles and I "think" these would fit the bill very well. Some even come with quick-disconnect mounts. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 9, 2016, 02:43 PM   #6
Chaz88

I think your limiting factor is it going on an XVR. Unless you are only going to shoot target loads the recoil is too much for most handgun optics to hold up for long.

I am using a 2.5-8x32 VX-3 on mine. Unless I have it cranked all the way up the 32mm has a good view, for me.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old August 9, 2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Venom1956

Look up vortex spitfire 3x that would be pretty much what u are looking for Im not sure about the eye relief. Id have to dig mine out and check.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 9, 2016, 02:51 PM   #8
Pahoo

Very good video

BoogieMan
Might want to take the time to check this video out as it should clarify some of you concerns. Lots of good information but worth every minute ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8cnYpjHFkQ

Take Care and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 9, 2016, 05:13 PM   #9
rkbanet

It sounds like one of the Trijicon ACOG's may fit your needs.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...t1.php?id=ACOG
Old August 9, 2016, 05:44 PM   #10
Chaz88

Quote:
It sounds like one of the Trijicon ACOG's may fit your needs.
I might of missed it but I did not see anything with magnification that would work on a handgun.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old August 9, 2016, 06:42 PM   #11
MarkCO

Burris, Trijicon, Vortex and a few others do make red dots that are fixed power at 2, 3, 5x. For instance, the Burris AR-332. They are typically intended for ARs. As such, the eye relief might give you issues as well as mount height.

There are a few illuminated reticle pistol scopes, but they are not considered to be very good. NcStar makes one. I don't think Leupold makes theirs anymore, but I have seen them used here and there.