The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 5, 2020, 09:27 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Anyone else in a gun buying moratorium ?

I haven't bought one in so long I've forgotten what it's like. I am far from deprived, I have a closet full of safe queens, never fired (by me, at least), once fired, haven't fired in years. Also what I call sort of fired. I have a Mauser Ge 98, a Remington M1917 and a MAS 1936 each of which I have fired once-with 32 ACPs using a chamber adaptor. Which is a lot fun, by the way, you get to handle a full size rifle, the chamber adapters let you shoot on an indoor range, the blast and recoil are on a par with a 22. My memory is good enough that I haven't forgotten anything I own, and taking a once fired-years ago-firearm to the range is on a par with handling a new one.
Should I go out and buy one as a patriotic duty and to stimulate the economy ?
Old August 5, 2020, 09:35 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

yes, stimulate the economy, but no more safe queens, get a working rifle you can really shoot and enjoy. That or buy some ammo and shoot some of your safe queens.
Old August 5, 2020, 10:59 PM   #3
Ignition Override

Moratorium, yes...because so many of us have a good selection of rifles and handguns.
We acquired certain guns being fully aware that even a familiar type of panic would once again return, but not imagining such a bizarre scenario where multiple factors could replace a single factor.

* First----Have ammo (in your home) before buying a gun with a new (to you) chambering which requires such ammo.

This advice can be qualified, but why assume that even low-demand .32 Auto and 30-06 are always available during this historic panic?

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 5, 2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old August 5, 2020, 11:07 PM   #4
TXAZ

I expect in 10-12 months regardless of who wins, there will be a fair number of private sellers needing cash and selling guns.
-OR-
“We” (gun guys) are very glad we’ve been sitting on at least 1000 rounds in each of 3 or more different calibers.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 6, 2020, 05:28 AM   #5
Hal

Yes both buying and shooting.
In January my ife and I talked about joining a range and going shooting one a week or more for one of our retirement activities.

March put that idea in the crapper.

Things have just gone from bad to worse in that regard.

With luck, this coming Winter things will change around a bit.
Old August 6, 2020, 10:20 AM   #6
peterg7

Anyone else in a gun buying moratorium ?

I’ve bought two so far this year and with one more round of stimulus I’m still looking.

This is unusual because my normal pattern is one new gun every 3 years or so, but 2020 is a very strange year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 6, 2020, 11:17 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

Yes, but it's not intentional,,,

Yes, but it's not intentional.

I have two young friends to whom I want to gift a handgun,,,
But none of my three choices of pistol are available.

I can see where defensive handguns have all been bought up,,,
But a .22 pistol scarcity is very surprising to me.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 6, 2020, 11:29 AM   #8
7.62 man

I buy or build new guns all the time. I just put together a 350 Legend AR for deer hunting this fall. I was in my local gun shop & noticed he had a lot of 9mm pistols. I ask why & the owner said he can't sell them because he doesn't have or can't even get ammo for them. No one wants to buy a pistol they can't shoot. LOL
So it may not be a buying moratorium, they just don't want to buy something that can't be shot.
Old August 6, 2020, 09:31 PM   #9
jonnyc

Unfortunately......no.
Old August 7, 2020, 12:04 AM   #10
Ignition Override

TXAZ: You are quite correct that vast numbers of recent "nervous first-time gun owners" or others will dump guns when they need cash. But the time span might be quite long.

The nervous people will finally have noticed (next year) that they did Not sit on a roof armed with a gun, as we saw among Korean shop keepers in the LA business district ('93).

>>>>>I have a new t-shirt with these guys on it! <<<<<
Old August 7, 2020, 02:21 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

I don't make as much money as I used to so gun buying has slowed to a crawl. I've decided to wrap up all my project guns before adding another to my collection... That said, I can always think of 5 or 6 guns I'd like to have...

Tony
Old August 7, 2020, 06:45 AM   #12
Schlitz 45

I made a New Years resolution that I wouldn’t add any new calibers this year & so far I’ve kept this promise to myself, hasn’t stopped me from buying guns & Mrs Schlitz is helping out too with her three recent gun buys. Currently I’m more concerned with maintaining my reloading component inventory & ammo stash. I’m OK for many months but when your shooting 500-700 rounds a week between us I have keep way out in front to insure we can continue enjoying our hobby/lifestyle.
Old August 7, 2020, 08:46 AM   #13
seanc

Right at the beginning of the WuFlu, I was checking gun prices and looking to finally sell a Shield 9mm I've been trying to get rid of for 2 years (2nd one I didn't need) and saw a pretty good price on a pistol I'd tried and passed on years ago. I low-balled the seller and he took it! Prices shot up a week later on EVERYTHING and I finally sold that Shield.

Total score: n + 1 - 1 = n + $$

Months into the WuFlu and riots, I just sold a carbine for more money than I could have just 4 months ago...

Total score: n -1 +$$$$$$
Old August 7, 2020, 11:05 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

"Anyone else in a gun buying moratorium ?"
Not voluntarily.
Old August 7, 2020, 03:26 PM   #15
jpx2rk

I wrapped up 2 re-barrel projects in the first 5 months of this yr. I ordered the two barrels on 2/14/20 with 4-6 week lead time on each one. One came a bit early (mid march) and was in the process of getting it together when the other barrel arrived (end of March, early April) and I had not even ordered a stock for it. Stock came in about 10-14 days, so got it together. I'm spending my summer doing load development on both, so I don't need anything right now. I do keep my eye out for bargains, or things I am interested in, but right now, I not buying "just cause".
Old August 7, 2020, 03:58 PM   #16
Onward Allusion

I haven't bought a gun in about 6 months. Actually thinking about selling a few and make some spare change to buy BTC. I can't believe Glocks are fetching on average of $700. Crazy times.
Old August 7, 2020, 04:49 PM   #17
ejfalvo

I'm in a holding pattern as far as gun purchases. Nothing in the last year has made me go "holy crap, I want one'. I will look for a good hunting rifle this Fall - that's it.
Old August 7, 2020, 06:10 PM   #18
cc-hangfire

Due to market prices, yes. I’m in a self imposed moratorium.

I went on a revolver buying spree at the end of 2019 & beginning of 2020 since it was a buyer’s market. How quickly things can turn! Since it’s become a seller’s market, I’m cleaning out (meaning selling) some handguns that I care the least about. So far a Bauer 25 & two CZ70’s have found new homes.
Old August 7, 2020, 09:12 PM   #19
Machineguntony

If I see a gun on my list for a reasonable price, I’m buying.

Colt snake guns new and old, HK P7s, certain machine guns, any new release from HK are all too hot to pass up.