The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 6, 2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Goatwhiskers

AR15 Full Auto

LGS is advertizing AR15's with a "trigger kit" that allows full auto fire. Supposed to be completely legal. Anyone got info on this? This guy is a little strange anyway. GW
Old February 6, 2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Beentown71

Probably a bump fire stock
Old February 6, 2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If it's true "full-auto" it would have to meet all the legal requirements (including being older than 1986) and go through all the legal processes and wait times. If it's a "bump fire" stock/trigger, it's not TRUE "full-auto".
Old February 6, 2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Theohazard

I'll bet your LGS is selling the new Tac-Con 3MR trigger. It has a third selector position where the "AUTO" or "BURST" option would be on a military rifle. When you switch to this third position the trigger has a more forceful reset that aids the shooter in bump-firing the rifle. Bump-firing is perfectly legal; it's still semi-auto and not true full-auto fire, basically you're just using the rifle's recoil to help you pull the trigger really fast.

You don't need any special trigger or stock to bump-fire an AR, they just make it easier; I have friends who can bump-fire their ARs from the shoulder all day long (though they do need to have a lighter-than-stock trigger like a Geissele). That said, I find bump-firing to be a novelty that really doesn't really serve any purpose other than fun, and in the meantime you're wasting ammo and training yourself to shoot a rifle with a poor technique that's only good for bump-firing.
Old February 6, 2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Skans

Sounds fun!!! I'd like to know how well it works...without practice.
Old February 6, 2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
I'd like to know how well it works...without practice.
In the link I provided the guy tried it at SHOT and wasn't impressed. He said the rep had no problem because he obviously had practiced a lot, but he had trouble with it. He also points out that you have to use a less-than-ideal shooting style to get it to work (something that's true with any kind of assisted or non-assisted bump fire).
Old February 6, 2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Sharkbite

A good way to turn loaded ammo (and $) into empty brass.

Other then the giggle factor, which wears off quickly when you are buying the ammo, i dont see the point
Old February 23, 2014, 06:03 PM   #8
BerdanSS

How much are they? If the price is abnormally high....could it be possible they are selling a registered Lightning-Link, that comes with a "free" low shelf AR15 lower?

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 23, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old February 23, 2014, 10:39 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are AR-15 DIAS's for sale that were made before registration was required, and are legal to sell and own without any restrictions. Oh, there is a small hitch. If you put it in a gun, or even own a gun it can be put in, you are in illegal possession of a machine gun.

Jim
Old February 24, 2014, 04:33 PM   #10
MtnCreek

" AR-15 DIAS's "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe atf ruled the ar15 DIAS's to be a MG and possession of just a DIAS would be possession of a MG.
Old February 24, 2014, 08:52 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't think so. They ruled that the DIAS was, of and by itself, a machine gun, and that DIAS's made after that had to be serial numbered and transferred under the NFA. But there were thousands of DIAS's already in existence that were not numbered and of which there was no record. Further, as rumors of the pending ruling spread, manufacturers turned out thousands of them, also unnumbered. BATFE gave up on the idea of trying to seize them all, and contented themselves with the position that one of those was legal if not installed in a gun or if the owner was not in possession of a gun that could accept it. AFAIK, that is still the position, but if someone knows better, I will be glad to hear.

I will note that some registered DIAS's are of poor quality; I knew of one that cost a fellow a bunch of money, the transfer tax and a long wait. It lasted less than a magazine.

Jim
Old February 24, 2014, 11:31 PM   #12
Willie Lowman

James K, http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/9047
Old February 26, 2014, 10:38 AM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the info and the correction. Do you know if that is still continuing or what is going on?

Jim
Old February 26, 2014, 11:29 AM   #14
Willie Lowman

I don't know. This surrounds the case of George Dodson. http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions...3a0528n-06.pdf

Seems to be a case of the ATF reversing a decision.
Old March 12, 2014, 07:42 AM   #15
bostonscott05

tacon drop in

Its a drop in trigger done by tacon...Its not really a full auto setup but allows you to really increase semi-auto rate of fire. as fast as you can pull the trigger this thing will spit'em out....comes with a $500 price tag....here's the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQtCTUq4Y_I
Ephesian Arms Inc
Old March 12, 2014, 09:11 AM   #16
Skans

I like the concept of the taccon, but won't spend anything close to $500, unless the thing simulates full-auto fire consistently and with little or no practice. With enough practice, some folks were able to get those Hell-Fire trigger actuators to work. For $500, the thing better work when your heart is pounding and on the verge of freaking out when the dreaded purple super-zombies attack.
Old March 12, 2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Sharkbite

Quote:
when the dreaded purple super-zombies attack..
Jeeezzzzz. EVERYBODY knows "super zombies" are GREEN!!!