The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 11, 2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Papa Sbarro

Pietta 1851 Navy Bolt Screw Coming Out

I, had a question about my recently bought Pietta 1851 Navy. When I work the action of the revolver and go to de-cock the hammer I notice that the Bolt screw wants to screw itself out of the revolver. I have never shot it and it’s brand new. Could this just be caused by the screw not being tight enough from the factory? The reason I haven’t tried to tighten it yet is because I do not have the correct screw driver tips and don’t want to damage the head.
Old May 11, 2020, 05:19 PM   #2
44 Dave

When you get a good screwdriver open it up and clean out the factory "shipping grease" out and oil with non-petroleum oil. check for any burs on the bolt and every thing else. If it still moves when oiled properly you can clean the threads and put a little finger nail polish on the threads.
Old May 13, 2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Papa Sbarro

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get a Colt SAA Screwdriver kit from Brownells. People in reviews say it has all the bits to take one apart. I'm hoping it is just a lose screw.
Old May 13, 2020, 06:04 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Sbarro
I'm going to get a Colt SAA Screwdriver kit from Brownells.
Which kit are you going to get? As much as I like Brownells, I do NOT recommend any of the Grace brand "gunsmith" screwdrivers or sets. I bought one, many years ago. They haven't touched a gun. The tips are not hollow ground, which means they're actually no better than a Craftsman or Stanley screwdriver you can buy at Lowe's or Walmart.

Don't buy any Grace screwdrivers to work on guns.
Jeepaholic
Old May 13, 2020, 06:28 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Grace set I bought were hollow ground only at the tip.

I bought a bunch of used screw drivers from pawnshops (flea markets/garage sales can be good too) and ground them down to fit specific screws. I remember spending $45 for a toolbox filled with tools too.
Old May 14, 2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Papa Sbarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Which kit are you going to get? As much as I like Brownells, I do NOT recommend any of the Grace brand "gunsmith" screwdrivers or sets. I bought one, many years ago. They haven't touched a gun. The tips are not hollow ground, which means they're actually no better than a Craftsman or Stanley screwdriver you can buy at Lowe's or Walmart.

Don't buy any Grace screwdrivers to work on guns.
I'm going to get the (080-000-021WB) Colt SAA Screwdriver Set from Brownells. A friend of mine bough the Grace screwdrivers for his Pietta 1851 Navy and stripped almost all of his screw heads. He had to order new screws.
Old May 14, 2020, 09:07 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Good. The tips in that set are hollow ground. Much better than the Grace.

I am amazed that Brownells still sells the Grace screwdrivers.
Jeepaholic
Old May 28, 2020, 11:40 PM   #8
51colt

Sounds like your 51 needs to be debarred. You probably have a burr on your hammer that's binding on your hammer screw. Remove your hammer and look for machine burrs on the screw holes check the hole for the hand as well. I chamfer holes with a drill bit a few sizes bigger than the holes. also, look for burrs on the trigger screw. A few hours with a small file set will pay dividends your revolver will run much smoother and it will make your internals last a lot longer. Go to youtube and watch some videos and you be able to do it yourself. I bought the Brownell SAA bit set only two of the bits fit BP revolvers and one of them I had to narrow up on a belt sander. As someone else posted I bought a few small screwdrivers that I liked and grown to a nice fit. At the range, I use one of these screwknifes that I made myself. https://www.redwingtradingcompany.com/shop I reprofiled an Opinel knife and grown the tip to fit revolver screws. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opinel-No-8...ss!95356!US!-1 They work great for cap jams.

Old May 29, 2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Some years ago, I made these screw drivers.

It is five different sizes to match all of the screws I encountered at that time.

Handles are oak. Shanks are steel and the tips are hollow ground bits from a set something like a Chapman set.

Heat shrink tubing protects the finish in case I slip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD 2.jpg (243.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg SD 1.jpg (733.9 KB, 22 views)
Old May 29, 2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Hawg

If you slip it's going to be the edge of the blade going across your gun. Just sayin.
Old May 29, 2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

As usual...

You are correct, Hawg. But that would be true for any screw driver.

The heat shrink just keeps the bulges and bumps on the screw driver from contacting the finish if I slip.

I didn't mention this but the presence of the heat shrink also allows me to use the screw drivers as prying tools (in the unusual event that is needed) without marring the finish. The screw driver bears against whatever is being moved on the heat shrink covered surface rather than on metal.