The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2018, 01:57 PM   #1
LilPewPew

Percent of Paycheck on Ammo

So I don't have that much 5.56 ammo right now and I was wondering what you guys might think a reasonable percent of my paycheck I should spend on ammo
Old April 7, 2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Nathan

40%....unless you are serious, then 60%!

80% when stocking up!

BTW, I'm totally messing with you. I cannot answer this question...only you can.
Old April 7, 2018, 02:31 PM   #3
LilPewPew

Alright mate, what percent do you spend on your ammo?
Old April 7, 2018, 02:34 PM   #4
TXAZ

Ha Ha Ha. How do we know you're not a divorce attorney trying to spearfish one of us?

As Nathan said, whatever you can afford. If you're thrifty you can probably afford 10+%. If you're strapped, you might be buying one round or small box at a time.

To your second question:
It depends on if I see a deal. Might spend 20% if it's a lot of BMG match ammo if it's a steal, but more like 1-3% per month on average.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 7, 2018, 02:47 PM   #5
LilPewPew

Alright sweet, and thanks
Old April 7, 2018, 03:22 PM   #6
hdwhit

Quote:
reasonable percent of my paycheck I should spend...
Are you married (or previously married)?

Do you have a mortgage? Child Support? Car payments?

Are you currently saving for retirement? Are you saving for your children's college?

What's your gross monthly income?
What is your disposable monthly income?
What is your discretionary income?

HINT: If you don't know what your disposable or discretionary income is, then the answer is zero percent.

At present for pretty much anyone living in the United States, ammunition is a luxury (professional and subsistence hunters excepted) and until you're living comfortably within your means and have all of your necessities covered, you don't need to be spending anything on it. Once you are living comfortably within your means then you should be able to easily determine how much you can spend without cutting into otherwise prudent financial behavior.
Old April 7, 2018, 03:54 PM   #7
SonOfScubaDiver

My son buys one box of ammo, sometimes two, every payday. Since he doesn't go shooting every week, he has amassed a nice stockpile for himself.
Old April 7, 2018, 04:57 PM   #8
lamarw

I would suspect it largely depends upon what your after taxes and medical insurance income is per year. Figure it into your entertainment expenses.

I reload all of my ammo with the exception of maybe a box or two a year for defensive purposes. I order online in bulk lots to cover hazmat portions (primes and powders). I order bullets in the thousand round lots. Generally, I have plenty of brass and shot shell casings. I also shoot on my own property and do not have range expenses.
Old April 7, 2018, 07:57 PM   #9
jmhyer

I will pretty much second what hdwhit said.

Once you've paid all your bills, are debt free, have an emergency fund, have tithed, and have contributed appropriately to retirement, you can spend the rest on luxuries...such as ammo.
Old April 7, 2018, 08:21 PM   #10
bn12gg

Jeeezzz. Buy and shoot a bulk 22 compatible firearm.

Old April 7, 2018, 09:18 PM   #11
moosemike

I pick up a box every payday. I usually rotate centerfire caliber purchases but also grab a .22 long rifle too.
Old April 8, 2018, 01:20 AM   #12
mr bolo

try to buy it by the case, maybe one case a month, and dont shoot any until you have built up a decent amount to last years.
Old April 8, 2018, 07:25 AM   #13
Nathan

I all honesty, I’m probably 3-5%. Most of it is in reloading supplies. It would be closer to 8-10% if all store bought.
Old April 8, 2018, 07:30 AM   #14
Nathan

Quote:
try to buy it by the case, maybe one case a month
This is good advice.

1000 9mm is about $200
1000 45 $300
250 SD rounds. $200
1000 5.56. $350
500 308. $400
200 hunting $400
Old April 8, 2018, 08:44 PM   #15
riffraff

I buy extra ammo and mags when I order ammo. Not a ton, like a savings account - 420 rounds for me, 120 rounds for the pile. 2 new .308 mags for me, 2 new 5.56 mags for the pile. When I'm in wally world I poke my head into the ammo area, buy a box of this or that or this and that..

For me - it's not spending $1000 on ammo, I make little payments, maybe I pay a little per round, but doesn't require lots of consideration that way either.
Old April 9, 2018, 09:21 AM   #16
lamarw

There are times when we read about something and it just doesn't make any sense. This is not a slam against the OP but rather just an extra thought on my part.

I understand what he is trying to compare and for what purpose. It is just this procedure does not cover it for a comparison purpose.

Lets say the OP and I shoot a comparative amount every month. His net income is two hundred thousand a year and my net income is a hundred thousand a year. It will require me to spend twice the % as it will cost him to shoot the same amount. So the real comparison is not the cost of ammo but rather the amount of income.

So, once again, this procedure will not serve as a reasonable comparison. For a reasonable comparison you will have to compare apples to apples.
Old April 10, 2018, 12:28 AM   #17
ballardw

Maybe I'm a tad too analytic but:
Decide how much you want to have on hand for each caliber. Could be "days/weeks/months/years of practice/hunting whatever".
Be honest about actual consumption/use.
Calculate rounds (or reloading supplies).

Example: I shoot 50 rds per month of XXX caliber and want 2 years on hand: 50 x 2(years)*12(months) =1200 rds.
If you can buy it, do so. Or 100/200/300 more per month then you shoot until you have the 1200. Cycle through at normal use and replace monthly or so.

My current budget allows about $100 per month to split between 3 hobbies. So my ammo purchases tend to be a brick of 22 and/or a box of bullets for reloading, or maybe a brick or two of primers, or a pound or two of powder. But for most calibers I shoot I'm in that cycle through and replace mode.
Old April 10, 2018, 08:56 AM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

We are not personal finance managers. Find a book or website or advisor for such.

Closed.