The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
ColColt

Needle in a Hay Stack

Reloading has gotten to be a real PITA. Components being always back ordered is the biggest problem. I've looked from FL to Casablanca and can't find H322 anywhere. I thought for sure I'd find some at the gun show today as there were four tables selling all sorts of powders, primers and bullets but no H322 anywhere. I want to use this in the .222 Remington but looks like I'll have to try something else. Other powders I have may be as good but just wanted to try this since it stands high on the recommendation list for this caliber...oh, well. I couldn't even find Reloader 7.
Old November 2, 2013, 02:34 PM   #2
tangolima

Improvise and use whatever components available to carry on. It actually opens up a new dimension of handloading for me. Without that push I am probably still using the same old varget powder I started handloading with whiles ago, and thinking it is the best in the whole Christendom. Not bad at all, except that the price for everything is creeping up.

-TL
Old November 2, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
ColColt

Probably, one of the three other powders I have will be just as good in the event I can't find any. It was just recommended highly by others. But, H4895, BLC(2) and H4198 will suffice for now. I was lucky to find CCI BR-4 primers although a bit high.
Old November 2, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
tangolima

BL(c)-2 is probably the best match to H322 among the three. The other two may well work, depending on what you try to load.

Situation with primers has improved a lot. Both cabelas and wideners have at least some in stock. May not be the exact kind I like to use, but I can get by.

-TL
Old November 2, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
ColColt

BLC(2) I have. I have good primers to include the aforementioned CCI BR-4. I wish I had some Remington 7 1/2 and looked today but zero. Most primers Ihave are Large Rifel in Federal, Winchester and CCI. This is the first rifle that required small primers I've had in decades.
Old November 2, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
MarkGlazer

I hear you clearly. I visited a large, local retailer today and did not find the powder that I wanted. The encouraging factor, plenty of primers on the shelves, not behind the counter. I know it's hard to hear but you have to remain patient and buy when you can. As painful as it might be, set up a back order with a vendor, if possible, and stock your shelves as time allows.

My guess is that this is going to be a cyclical experience for a quite a while, unless Washington does something to panic everyone again. I also estimate that the manufacturers are having to rotate production. While I am not a hunter, I can only estimate that production shifted to accommodate the winter season. I look at "Gunbot" frequently and recall powder being "flush" during the course of the summer. I'm hoping that my cyclical theory holds true and we should see a more diverse offering soon.

Take care.

Good luck.
Old November 2, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
ColColt

This whole thing has been going on for a long time so , I doubt is due to the hunting season rush. I think I'm only everyone's list to let me know when this or that comes in. Midway and Graf and Sons are good about letting you know as is MidSouth. Problem is you may get one email from ol' Larry Potter about one powder or primer you asked about and unless you don't need it now I found I'd best get it while the getting was good lest someone else buy it all while I was procrastinating. I hate paying a $27 hazmat fee for one pound of powder I had been looking for that just came in and in two days I'd get notification from somewhere else those 5K primers I wanted were in...another $27 hazmat fee. The guy that came up with a hazmat fee ought to be cut and quartered.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Valornor

I hear you. I also echo a few others in saying that it's also broadened my horizons. I've been force to try 5 or 6 different powders for my .308 win. That's tricky to do considering the M1A has a relatively narrow range of powders with acceptable burn rates.

I've also had to switch from my standard of using only CCI primers to Remington Primers, and have found them to be cheaper, but also softer making me concerned that using them in an M1A is potentially unsafe as the firing pin likes to dent the primer as it chambers a new round. CCI didn't pose a problem but these Remington ones might. (I've only got large pistol, so I won't be trying that for awhile if ever)

I haven't seen a box of SMK 168grn in forever...but I have tried Nosler Match and SGK of the same weights....all of it has added more data to my reloading book and I like to think it has forced me to become a little bit better of a reloader.
Old November 3, 2013, 07:38 AM   #9
NHSHOOTER

I too am having a hard time finding powder, it has kinda forced me to try some of the other brands and burn rates on the charts for my caliber which has turned out pretty well, have worked up some pretty nice loads for my 7-08 in the process. Necessity is the mother of invention..right?
Old November 3, 2013, 08:04 AM   #10
rdmallory

Lessons learned for the past Obama scare. Buy in bulk when the scare dies down again and it will. Find a powder you like and buy a couple 8# jugs and don't worry about it. Keep it dry and cool and it should last 10 years or so. You will save enough buying in bulk on price per pound and haze-mat fees it is worth it. The last time it was primers and .380 ammo. This time it looks to be powder and .22lr.

CMP has Remington 22lr on sale last year for $99 a case. I thought $10 a brick is a good deal (Wally World was selling 350 for about $21). Turned out to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. I can't remember a time when I ever regretted buying too much of something I know I will use.

Doug
Old November 3, 2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Bart B.

Quote:
Not bad at all, except that the price for everything is creeping up.
Prices go up to cover pay raises for everyone in the product or service trail from inception to retail sale. Protest all those price increases by giving back all moneys received via your pay raises.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:51 AM   #12
kgpcr

I found a few old friends ready to fill in. For handgun .38 I went back to green dot being I had a bunch and it works great. I also used Herco for my .40 and again it worked just fine. While they might not be my first choice for those I really don't have anything bad to say about them.
Smith M&P 40
Old November 3, 2013, 10:13 AM   #13
ColColt

I have some great powders that work very well for the handguns to include one of my top favorites for the 45 ACP and 44 Magnum, HS6. Superb groups and low pressure. Add to that Universal Clays and Winchester 231 along with AA #5, Unique and you can shoot about any caliber with the best accuracy.

Unfortunately, my stash of rifle powders is not so elaborate other than two pounds of H4198 that I use in the 38-55 with cast bullets and also aim to try it with the .222. That and a pound of IMR 3031 is it for rifles so far.

Speaking of HS6, This is a ten shot group using that powder at 10.5 gr in the M29...

Another great group with Universal Clays and the 45 ACP...

I don't know anyone close by that reloads or maybe we could do some exchanging-powder for primers or vice versa. My next door neighbor is a gun nut but only shoots factory, he can afford to.