The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1
rebs

which auto powder dispenser ?

I am looking at the one by RCBS and the one by Hornady, do you guys have any preference to either one ? The good and not so good about each ?
Old October 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Brutus

Sorry, Balance beam scale and a trickle charger is the only way to go IMO.
I never trust something electronic as I tried an RCBS digital scale, worked fine for about a year then started giving me bad readings. Thank God I always double checked with my 35 year old balance beam. Keep meaning to send it back to RCBS but I'd always be suspicious of it.
Old October 20, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
swmike

Of the two, buy the RCBS and don't look back. I've been using one for over 6 years and couldn't be happier. Only thing I found necessary was to a) turn it on well before you start measuring out charges. Give it time to warm up. b) wipe all plastic surfaces down well with a dryer sheet to control static.

Since I use mine so much I just leave it turned on 24/7/365 (unless the power goes down and I have to turn it back on).

There are various posts on the net telling how to "soup up" the RCBS by controlling the three speed stages. Helps cut the overall time needed for Fast, Medium, and Trickle phases.

I can load a box of 50 in 30 minutes. Drop charge, pour in case, place pan back on scale, seat bullet, measure, put in box, repeat. The next charge is sitting on the scale ready for the next sequence.

Drops nice even charges that are within .1 gr when checked on a beam scale (tuned). If you want closer charges then just transfer the auto dropped charge to the beam scale and trickle to the exact amount.

Personally I don't find that the minute differences have any effect on my .308 loads that measure down in the single digit SD's and ES.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 20, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4
jepp2

I only have experience with the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo. That experience has been perfect.

About 5 years ago I was where you are now. I was considering the RCBS and the Hornady units. I read the reviews and they were mixed. Both units had too many negative reviews to make me comfortable. But I wanted an electronic scale and reviews on those are pretty mixed also. And I was ready to move beyond the Redding 3BR measure I had used for so long.

So I got the RCBS unit and it has been everything I ever wanted. I got the rebate with it to further reduce the cost.

Operation wise it is very easy to use. I use it primarily for rifle loads and weighing brass for weight sorting. Performs both of those flawlessly. I have also used it to meter Unique for handgun loads. The tuning isn't correct for the lower grain loads of the flake powder. I have not tried to change the software tuning. For stick rifle powder it works great.
Old October 21, 2013, 10:49 PM   #5
AlaskanGuy

Hornady

I been eyeballing that hornady... Price aint too bad, and i been thinking as i get older, i may be becoming more lazy and might wanna try one out. The lines on my balance scale are getting harder and harder to read...lol
Old October 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

I have the basic RCBS Uniflow powder hopper; and the RCBS 510 (closest thing to it now is the 5-0-5) balance scale - both from 1984.

Both have served me faithfully and without any complaints (from them or me ). I have no desire to change a thing.
Old October 22, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
David Bachelder

I have the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500. I have never owned or used the Hornady.

The RCBS unit is excellent. I use it to weigh out charges and as a nice bench scale when needed.

Works for me. Be sure to file for the rebate. 50 bucks is 50 bucks ... know what I mean?
Old October 23, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
cw308

I agree with Jebb 2 & Dave . The RCBS Charge Master has worked great from day 1.
Old November 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #9
coalroller

which auto powder dispenser ?

I have both a Lyman and rcbs and I like my Lyman better.
Old November 3, 2013, 04:49 AM   #10
Valornor

I own the hornady....I haven't had an issue. For the price it's hard to beat.