The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 30, 2013, 07:09 AM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Model 1895 Nagant that my wife though was neat enough to let me buy

Well I was picking up a can of powder at a small shop in the country, and a guy came in and wanted to trade in a Nagant revolver for store credit. The owner told him he already had a whole bunch of them. The guy was not offended, and still bought one of the guns in the case. My wife was talking to the guy outside while I was waiting in line to pay for the powder, and the guy was waiting on the back ground check. When I got outside my wife said to pay the guy $60. So I did. On the driver side seat of my truck I found this. The ammo was in with it, and the brass from the fired ammo was in there as well. (not sure if I am gonna reload for it yet.)

The double action is not working at this time. Though he did not clean the cosmoline out of the inside so I will degrease it tomorrow when I have the time to do so. The little flapper on the hammer is gummed with cosmoline, and sticking. Looks like some carb cleaner, and drop of gun oil should fix things.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:04 AM   #2
ronz

looks like she got you a sweet deal
Old March 30, 2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

$60 for that?

Not bad at all.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
SDC

Can you read any of the markings, symbols or dates on the left side of the revolver? That'll let you know who made this one and when. Also, it's believed that the Russians originally made this revolvers in both SA and DA versions (the DA for officers, who could apparently be trusted with the ability to fire quickly, and the SA for those who couldn't), so yours might have been made that way to begin with.
Old March 30, 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

You got a good deal. The pistol was at least $90 new, the ammo is $25 a box.

You can reload the brass. Save it, at least. Prvi imports may dry up with the new UN treaty, so reloading Nagants is going to become more popular.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:35 AM   #6
zx9rt1

Model 1895 Nagant that my wife though was neat enough to let me buy

SDC is correct on the SA models. Check the hammer hook when you take the side plate off. You came out way ahead on the Nagant. They are a neat little revolver. Years ago they had some that were imported with target barrels on them. Well done sir!
Old March 31, 2013, 10:14 AM   #7
armoredman

You are going to want to reload for that, or get the .32ACP cylinder conversion. Nifty gun, wouldn't mind having one myself, but the ammo is ridiculously high.
Did a quick Google search - only Nagants I found for sale was Cabelas for $149.99...looks like you did VERY well.

Last edited by armoredman; March 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:08 AM   #8
jrinne0430

Great find for $60! Neat revolvers (horrible in DA mode). There are a lot of folks who fire 32s&w in place of the 7.62x38r.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:07 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

There is a large Tula Armory roll mark with the year 1944 on it.

I still have to take it apart, and decosmoline the internals. I have been busy with some other stuff as of late.
Old April 1, 2013, 05:48 AM   #10
noelf2

If I were you I'd get some milsurp 7.62x38r ammo for it while it's still available at AIM Surplus, J&G Sales, etc. The commercial ammo is weak and more expensive (but reloadable).