The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Ultravox

Uberti Cattleman Hombre

I bought one of the cheap Hombres that Tanners Sports Center is blowing out the door over on Gun Broker.

I bought it in the "manly" .45 Colt caliber.

It arrived on Tuesday. I tore it down and cleaned out all the packing oil.

First impressions:
  • I like the matte black finish, but not the matte brass so much. I'll probably polish the brass.
  • The fit and finsh is very nice except the grips are a little proud of the frame. Nothing some sanding can't fix.
  • The trigger feels pretty nice. I should measure the pull.
  • The wood for the grips is very plain. I may try and make a new set.
  • The timing seems good and it locks up well.

I need to slug the bore and measure the chambers to see what they are like.

Now I need to buy brass, boolits and dies so I can afford to shoot it. .45 Colt goes for about $40 a box around here.

Old February 2, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Hellgate

I got a pair in .357. One of them went out of time and it turned out to have a broken trigger/bolt spring. I used one from a Colt Navy/Army and I was back in the saddle. $250 is a great price. I already had all the brass, bullets, etc. for 38/357 so I did not behave as manly.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 2, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Crunchy Frog

A friend of mine bought a pair in .45 Colt for SASS shooting; he shoots a couple of matches a month, plus practice (cowboys get lotsa use out of their guns).

He broke a spring but ordered replacements, plus a spare, and was back in bidness in no time. The flat springs can break but the Colt clones are pretty simple to repair.

At $250 each you can hardly go wrong.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Ziggy925

I got the same gun for Fast Draw. I like it a lot, except the finish is a but funky although it looks like it can live through a nucleur haulicaust. I've already replaced the springs with Wolff springs, and that made a world of difference in both cocking and shooting. The spring kit is very cheap and it's definitely a DIY project.

Some owners of the gun who don't like the grip finish just sand off the shine and refinish it with a stain and oil, and I've seen some really cool looking grips.

While I love shooting the .45, keep in mind many CAS shooters choose the .357. Fast Draw shooters select the .45 as the ammo is supplied by the host and it's all .45 wax bullets. You can save money by loading your own, otherwise I haven't found ammo for less than around $30 for 50.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Ultravox

I started polishing up the brass tonight. I think it's going to turn out okay.

I polished up the grip frame. I'll take some before and after photos before I hit the trigger guard.

I wet sanded with 400 grit and 600 grit, then hit it with the buffing wheel. Then I polished it with Flitz.

It looks pretty good, but I might go buy some 1500 grit to hit it with before the buffing wheel.

I'm thinking about trying to make a set of grips. Should be an interesting project (like I need another project.)
Old February 3, 2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Ultravox

Oh, and I slugged the bore. .450" on the nose.

I also took a .45 ACP bullet that measured .452" in diameter - it fit through all the cylinder bores with no issues.

Should be good to go to load .452" boolits.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Hellgate

Ziggy,
Where'd you get the Wolfe spring kit?
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 8, 2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Crunchy Frog

Academy Sports has the Hombre in .357 on sale this week for $259; that's even cheaper than the GunBroker price when you factor in shipping.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:40 PM   #9
kokopelli

I just got my pair for SASS on Monday. I knew what to expect from them- I had one a couple years back...

This pair looked 'rougher' than the last one I had- there is an obvious difference in the brass' finish; way more 'dull' on these. One of mine has the plain looking wood stocks, the other one has a very nice grainy stock with a high gloss, like the ones that Cimarron puts on theirs.

All this is fine to me, as I want to 'antique' these anyway. The one issue I'm concerned with is that there is an obvious slight gap in the seam between the barrel and the ejector rod tunnel.
Old February 9, 2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

I bought one of it's cousins, also made by Uberti. The Cimarron. Mostly because of a sale price, and Club Cabela's points reducing my price to around 2 bills out the door. I actually prefer the case color frame, and tarnished brass grip frame look. I think the matte barrel and cylinder will "wear in" to kind of match. I still need to figure exactly what load I want to shoot in it, and do a little elevation adjusting with my final choice, but accuracy is quite good with tight groups, dead center windage wise, but the point of impact is a lot lower than I would like.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 9, 2012, 02:16 PM   #11
ZVP

Bass Pro's ran a short sale on these and I just missed the only one they had in stock... Yea, the sales stunt ****** me off! Now the have them in stock but I had to spend the money on P/U repairs so I will just have to keep shooting my .357 Vaquero.
There's nothing wrong with shooting the full power .38's in CAS, just no squibs! Cost was my reason for going to a .357/.38, you can get CAS ammo from Cabela's for $24 a box. Of course you have to figgure in shipping costs too.
ZVP
Old February 10, 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Crunchy Frog

$24 a box for factory cowboy loads? I assume a box of 50 at that price?

I think my cost of components for .38 cowboy loads is about seven bucks per fifty. My local club matches consume about 120 rounds per match. I could not afford to shoot factory ammo.

Cowboy shooting will make a handloader out of you in short order.