The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 23, 2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Jim Bronson

Pa. Groundhogs

One of my favorite pastimes *WAS* Woodchuck hunting with my son. Now the areas where we hunted together have either had housing sprout up or now are posted as "No Hunting" for one reason or another. I know that, like fishing, favorite woodchuck hunting spots are a closely guarded secret. But I'm asking if anyone in NW Pa. knows, or has a place, where my son and I might find suitable hunting grounds. I'd be willing to lay down a buck or two for the chance to hunt with him again. I truly miss those times spent with my boy (now a 27 y.o. man) even if I never fire a shot. Time goes by so quick and I'm not getting younger....
Old January 23, 2021, 09:21 PM   #2
sako2

I have never met a farmer that would deny you hunting groundhogs. Year ago i stopped at a dairy farm and asked if i could hunt groundhogs. Been hunting there ever since. He's given me sweet corn for shooting them.
Old January 24, 2021, 10:20 AM   #3
ocharry

back in the old days,when i lived in Ohio

i went over to the feed mill and ask if i could put up a post for ground hog hunting,guy at the counter said i could

then we got to chatting and i had two places before i left the place

put my phone number on the post

my old neighbor and myself did a lot of shooting for a couple summers

especially in the spring over them new bean fields

we met a lot of nice people too....lol....killed a LOT of whistle pigs

might give that a try

never know

ocharry

Last edited by ocharry; January 24, 2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old January 24, 2021, 10:44 AM   #4
Jim Bronson

Oh there are plenty of farmers who would welcome groundhog hunters. But the problem lies in the fact that there are houses surrounding the farm lands. it's just not safe to shoot there. There a *LOTS* of woodchucks but just not safe to hunt them anymore.
Old January 24, 2021, 07:45 PM   #5
Drm50

I live in SE Ohio in small farm town. Me and Bro shot groundhogs almost every evening. It use to be 500 was the number you tried for. My wife would shot 50 a yr out of the gardens.
Had 9 varmit guns. Then about twenty years ago the coyotes moved it. They are up about all the small game in this area. The coyotes have moved East and South and now groundhogs are rare. I have herd that in some parts of Ohio they are making a come back. Now I won’t shoot one. Now we have explosion of Bob Cats. This stuff isn’t natural. Some DNR is fooling with Mother Nature.
Old January 25, 2021, 12:08 AM   #6
Colorado Redneck

These same types of things have happened to me, only in Colorado it's prairie dogs. For several years there has been a pretty large dog town, several hundred acres. I shot there 4 or 5 times per year, and really enjoyed it. It's Forest Service land located in the Pawnee Grasslands. I drove out a couple weeks ago and two guys were on ATVs poisoning the doggies. Other times dog towns have plagued out. It's discouraging to say the least. Good luck! Perseverance my friend.
Old January 27, 2021, 02:06 AM   #7
bamaranger

check

PA has a lot of public hunting land, there may be some near you that is agrarian in nature and has groundhogs. Quite a few years back, I hunted groundhogs in rather suburban Adams county (not NW, I know) on SGL. Check with your local WCO, he may be able to point you towards public or private land where there are opportunities as well.
Old January 28, 2021, 08:34 AM   #8
Jim Bronson

There are lots of SCL's near me but they're all heavily wooded areas. Not may woodchucks