The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2018, 08:17 PM   #1
dzavoina

Sig Sauer M17

I finally received my M17 pistol on Thursday.
Has anyone else gotten one? Do you plan on shooting it or hanging onto it as a collectors item?
Thanks,
Dave
Old September 1, 2018, 04:42 PM   #2
hogwiley

I'd consider the civilian version, which is like 700 dollars cheaper than the commemorative military version, but the m17 seems to be plagued with problems, including not being able to reliably feed ball ammunition. How a handgun won a military contract without being able to reliably feed ball ammo is beyond me. I mean that's like, the most important thing.

It's also had issues with the trigger. First firing the pistol when it dropped, and after they shaved off material to make it lighter to fix that problem it now seems to have issues with light strikes, along with other durability issues.
Old September 1, 2018, 04:48 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Yea but he already bought it.

I'm not sure how collectible it will be long term, but to be honest that's never been my wheelhouse. The standard P320 is pretty cheap currently, so you could always save that one and pick up another if you did think it would be collectible.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 1, 2018, 07:44 PM   #4
hogwiley

How collectible it would be would probably depend on which one he bought. The commemorative military version with the 21 round mags, military sights and all tan controls would be a lot more collectible than the vanilla m17 that differs slightly from the military m17. I'm not talking about the p320 fullsize either, which differs from both.

The commemorative version is going for like 1500 bucks, and I doubt you'd ever recoup your cost or that many people would be willing to pay substantially more than that years from now. Its basically for someone that just wants to have THE gun that won the trials and has lots of money to spare.

Me personally, Id shoot it. Its a polymer 9mm handgun, not exactly a future museum piece.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:53 PM   #5
Armed_Chicagoan

Anything being sold new as a collectors item will never be a collectors item, no matter what it is.
Old September 2, 2018, 12:37 AM   #6
Mackie244Bud

hogwiley
Quote:
but the m17 seems to be plagued with problems, including not being able to reliably feed ball ammunition.
This was from a early DOT&E Report in 2017 and does not exist today.
Quote:
Army officials revealed that a new Defense Department policy would allow the service to use "special-purpose ammunition" for the MHS program, a significant break from its past devotion to ball ammunition.
Special Purpose Ammo is Hollow Point's!
Another report discusses the legality of using "Hollow Points" in War..
That would be in-humane...Right.

Quote:
The new Winchester XM1153 is a 147-grain jacketed hollow point bullet and "currently the principal go-to-war ammunition" for MHS, Lt. Col. Steven Power, head of Product Manager Individual Weapons, told defense reporters at a recent round-table discussion.
Believe it or not the Sig's M17 and M18's are the first handgun to use Hollow Points.
The Beretta was strictly Ball Ammo.
Imagine going to War with Ball Ammo?

Quote:
It's also had issues with the trigger.
First firing the pistol when it dropped, and after they shaved off material to make it lighter to fix that problem it now seems to have issues with light strikes, along with other durability issues.
Any Army M17 & M18's Drop Issues were resolved before the public's "Voluntary Upgrade" even went into action.
It is actually where the Voluntary Upgrade" came from.
This was also a early evaluation prior to disbursement to the Army.
It had been resolved prior to the first shipment of guns to the Army and never existed with any gun received by any soldier!

Trigger Issues:
The DOT&E had 2 out of 10,000 guns that a Trigger splintered..
The Army officially stated:
Quote:
Officials also said the two trigger-splintering incidents were “not the result of a design flaw or ongoing manufacturing problem.”
Those were the only two pistols out of an estimated 10,000 purchased that have exhibited that issue.
Makes you wonder how they splintered two Triggers LOL Were they shooting at it?

A simple google search will educate you HogWiley...Old stuff...
if you are going to post problems at least check August 2018 for information.
A year ago's September 2017 DOT&E report is a long time ago when it comes to a guns: Modifications and Upgrades.

https://search.xfinity.com/?searchTe...b&ch=home_riot

Check out this report from April 2018:
Titled: Why the Army's M17 Pistol Could Be a Total Game Changer

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/th...-changer-25619

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; September 2, 2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old September 2, 2018, 07:07 AM   #7
dzavoina

"Anything being sold new as a collectors item will never be a collectors item, no matter what it is."

It wasn't bought as a collectors item, but its a limited edition run of 5,000 units.
It chambers round nosed rounds by racking the slide with no effort.
Old September 3, 2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Model12Win

Myself and many others think it is totally stupid how SIG is offering the M17 to the civilian market.

Why in the HELL does the civilian version have so many changes over the actual military guns? These commemorative models should be the standard, identical in all ways to issued M17s minus the military markings.

What were they thinking???
Old September 4, 2018, 04:43 AM   #9
dzavoina

Model12WIN, what many changes are there?
I know of one, and that's the anti-tamper for the take down lever so that the GI's can't remove the trigger/operating system.
Old September 4, 2018, 01:14 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
It wasn't bought as a collectors item, but its a limited edition run of 5,000 units.
If there is a market for more, SIG will sell them. There will definitely be more runs of these if people want them.

There was a time when folks thought the Mk. 25 pistols would be limited (versus the almost-a-Mk.25 P226 NAVY), but you can still walk into gun stores and buy them new. My brother just picked up one a few weeks back.
Old September 18, 2018, 07:57 PM   #11
Scottcc

I agree that limited edition/commemorative guns are valued less than the standard version. With exception of Colt’s reissued O1911 and O1918; they have increased close to twice the value if unfired and all inbox items are still intact. I have a O1918 that I shoot and I don’t regret missing out on the lost value, because I bought for my enjoyment. I also carry it from time to time. I bought the M17 commemorative for the same purpose, though my LGS sold it to me for $975+tax. That’s still a lot of money, but not the $1500+ they’re trying to get on GB. I’ll shoot the gun because that is what I bought it for.

Tags
sig sauer; m17;