The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 10:44 AM   #26
stubbicatt

RLI, Meopta have a good reputation. I believe they use Schott lenses made in Germany. I would not hesitate to buy one of their optics.

IOR Valdada make a good optic with the same glass, and they are very rugged scopes. I am a big fan of theirs. I do not know how they compare in price to the Meopta.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:42 PM   #27
RLI

I'm going crazy in order to find an optic. What brand should i choose ? Zeiss, leupod, nikon, meopta, burris or others ? How much should i spend ?
I prefer to wait and save money to buy a better optic. Buy once buy well.

Last edited by RLI; March 11, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:45 PM   #28
DarcyPotter1

I have been a Leupold man all my life in part becouse they are made by my freinds to the south of me American made that being said I just put a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on my Modle 70 Supper Grade it is allso made in the U.S.A and it has more eye relief than the Leupold.I cant speak to the long term on the Zeiss but I have Leupold scopes that I have had for over 30 years with out a isue ar all and I do know when I did break the turret on a scope by droping it down a mountain Leupold replaced it as repair was not a option and it was at no cost to me. I have the Zeiss becouse the stores in Grande Prairie Alberta did not have a Leupold 3-9x40 in stock . If you can just loose mount the scopes you are looking at in the rings of your rifle at the shop you are dealing with and see what you like best you are looking at high quality glass and that is very smart .A rifle with a foged or falty scope is a club compare $to$ scopes I tend to spend at least half the cost of the rifle on glass and in some cases more
Old March 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #29
dylanf55

i just bought a tikka t3 lite in 270 for 679.99 in stainless and couldnt be happier with it. straight out of the box i had a scope bore sighted and with that i put 5 shots under 1 inch easy at 100..
Old March 12, 2013, 04:48 PM   #30
Lucas McCain

You've decided on a rifle and your looking for a scope. All the scopes you mentioned are all good well made optics. Personally I don't like the Barska.
What you also need to look at is the warranty that is provided and where it has to be sent to get it repaired. That can get to be expensive with shipping cost and duty charges.
As far as mounts I would suggest that you get Leupold Universal mounts and Burris Signature rings. That is the ring with the plastic insert. They are great because they don't put your scope in a bind because of any misalignment issues. On top of that there are offset rings available that allows you to better align the scope to the rifle allowing the cross hairs to be very close to the center of the adjustment range of them. Take some time and check out their website for more info.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Firing Line. There is some great people here talk about guns.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:24 AM   #31
BornToHunt

First of all how much are you willing to spend?? Straw away from the cheap Remington 770s. The tikka t3 is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. They are currently at 549.99 at cabelas. Next a rem700 or savage. I'd say for your first rifle a .243 would definitely suffice. Very fast, flat shooting bullet that can take down anything from varmints to elk. Just gotta know where to shoot great bullet variations from 55 gr to 115gr. Excellent round.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:52 PM   #32
Mauser8mm

Mossberg MVP .223 Bolt Action Rifle

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifl...p-patrol/27755

MSRP: $681.00

Accepts standard .223 AR15 magazines! (Big Plus!!)

Will dominate at 200 yards with no doubt.

Optics:

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 - $500

http://www.opticsplanet.com/zeiss-3-...-reticle1.html

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt