The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2018, 02:05 AM   #1
MrBot

Aero Mid-length 5.56 16" Carbine Sans Rear Sight & Stock

I can pick this up for 10% off $520 (maybe). It has no rear sight, buttstock nor handguard but that's ok by me. For a mid-legnth carbine with a 4150 CMV bbl & QPQ corrosion resistant finish (not sure if that's as good as it sounds or not) that sounds good to me. This'll be my 1st (could build or buy another 1 day) AR to be set up as a bedside unit. Some forum responders say the AR isn't their 1st choice for hd but I'm not sure why. I'd think a firearm with a longer bbl than a hg would be an improvement--better accuracy for starters. I'll add optics when I decide on what to go with.
.getting lots of opinions on optics from another post. I've seen wireless lights controlled by a replacement grip that contains a switch. That'd be cool since there'd be no wire to get hung-up & I could control the light with my thumb of my shooting hand. Most of what I've read about Aero has been good. The most common problem seems to be a poorly fitting charging handle, but I've read where some are upgrading it anyway. Any opinions--especially on the Aero?

Last edited by MrBot; June 24, 2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old June 24, 2018, 02:33 AM   #2
lordmorgul

Aero Mid-length 5.56 16" Carbine Sans Sights & Stock

That is a great gun and reasonable price. I’ve got two of their M4E1 enhanced upper/lower combos with enhanced gen2 15” rails. Love them.

I have one with 16” AP midlength barrel, swapped that barrel to another gun and replaced with 16” ballistic advantage Hanson profile midlength, another good choice. Second gun has 20” Green Mountain Rifle barrel stainless fluted rifle length and love that one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old June 24, 2018, 07:04 PM   #3
riffraff

From a recommendation on this site I was turned onto Aero for an upper, after lots of consideration I went w/ their enhanced upper - Gen2 12 inch guard w/ a solid rail on top, m-lok slots elsewhere, 16 inch QPQ barrel 5.56..

Later I became increasingly interested in a bare bones lightweight upper, so got an atlas s-one w/ a pencil barrel, similarly 12 inch guard, QPQ barrel 5.56..

At the moment I have a .308 20-inch and a 5.56 18-inch on order that should be showing up next week, both of those are coming with 15 inch guards with the solid rail on top like my 16 inch, and are rifle length.

My feeling on what I've got so far is this - the barrels are more accurate than I'll ever be, the enhanced Gen2 stuff is really really nice - the way the guard and upper receiver fit together is very solid as they use a proprietary design of 8 threaded points on the receiver the guard "bolts" to - ie better than other free float guards because it's a better design more positively locked together. The quality you see appears very high and I get comments from others who are much more in the know than me on what a nice upper it is as well.. Very sold on that setup.

The Atlas s-one I've got - meets the goal - is very light, is a dream to handle, other than that I continue to say "not sure about this one". It's a standard mil spec upper and clamp-on sort of free float guard, which is very light but strikes me as easily damaged. I don't think I like the slim hand guard as much as I thought I would - actually do not see the lure of them at all other than shaving ounces. I might end up selling this one off. It's not the pencil barrel I object to rather it's the handguard setup compared to the other Aero version or I may keep it for what I got it for - a light special-purpose close range rifle.

Both of those run great w/ the nitride BCG's, one w/ a Raptor CH, other a standard Aero..

Keep in mind w/ Aero, they have different versions of both uppers and lowers. The lowers all take mil spec parts but the enhanced ones have some improvements.. With the uppers, you cannot use any of their guards on any of their uppers - a mil spec upper will not take the Gen2 handguard setup I'm mentioning. All their enhanced AR15 upper stuff is also on sale at the moment, 15% off, and likely for 4th of July their may be better sales too.
Old June 24, 2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Mobuck

"I'd think a firearm with a longer bbl than a hg would be an improvement--better accuracy for starters.:
For strictly HD use, not much "accuracy" is required.
100% function is required. As for the "poorly fitting charging handle", I've never seen this or didn't notice it as being a problem as long as the latch prevents the CH smacking the shooter's nose.
I keep an AR "pistol" hanging above my headboard knowing full well the monumental muzzle blast will wake the dead. I'm nearly deaf so the bad guy will be the loser on that.
Old June 25, 2018, 02:16 AM   #5
marine6680

Aero is my first recommendation for a budget AR. (followed by PSA) On sale the complete basic rifle can be had for around $600...

Their basic carbine is built just about as well as the basic carbines from Colt, FN and others. They are not "mil spec" like the Colt/FN, but not in a detrimental way.

They use QPQ Nitride finish on their steel parts rather than the mil spec finishes. But this isn't a bad thing. Nitride is a great treatment to steel. Its better than parkerizing for corrosion, it also has a lower surface friction. Chrome lining is better for high volume of fire, but most civilians will not need worry about that in a semi auto.

Is THIS the version you are talking about?

Good choice.

As far as a stock, I am a fan of the Magpul SL stock. I also like their SL pistol grip, but if you want something thicker, the BCM Mod 3 pistol grip is great. The Magpul MOE K2 is also good. (all of these grips have a more vertical angle than the original A2 style, this makes them more ergonomic when using an AR with adjustable stocks and modern shooting stances)

The handguard is trickier... There are a few good handguards available that fit over the standard barrel nut on the rifle. This means quick and easy install. The Samson Evo Keymod, Centurion C4, and Fortis Rev II are examples of this type of handguard.

If you do not use one of those, then you will need to remove the barrel, and replace the barrel nut with the one designed for the new handguard. This involves removing the muzzle device and gas block as well. Not hard exactly, but requires the tools and knowhow, and the supplies, like a new crush washer.

I haven't heard of issues with the charging handle, but an upgraded CH is always handy on a HD rifle.

I recommend the Radian Raptor LT as a very good ambidextrous option, that is reasonable in price. I have a few of these, and recommend them highly.

I also like the BCM Gunfighter CH, it is very good as well, but the ambi version is $30 more than the Raptor LT.

As I mentioned in your other thread, with proper ammo selection, the AR is an excellent HD option. One of the better options in my opinion.

As far as lights...

Generally its a bad idea to have anything that is controlled by your dominant/shooting hand.

Seen more than one video of a negligent discharge due to a grip laser on a pistol. One video had the guy shoot himself in the hand. From the looks of it, he was checking to see if the laser was still working, by pointing the pistol at his hand and activating the pressure switch. The second time he did it... BANG... bullet through the hand.

Your primary hand already has two of the most important jobs, working the safety and the trigger... leave it at that.

Many guys have been using tape switches with a wire... And have had no issues.

The Streamlight Protac Rail Mount light has a tape switch and a wire. It also comes with small zip ties to secure the wire and prevent issues.

And like I said in the other thread... An HD rifle should have a red dot optic. Keep it simple.
Old June 26, 2018, 03:14 AM   #6
MrBot

marine6680, Yes, that's the one. I was 1st turned on to Aero @ pewpewtactical. They consider the complete version of the 1 I bought as being "Best bang for the buck." From what I've seen I tend to agree. Most reviews (no 1 ever bats a thousand. You could put a Rawlings Heart of the Hide baseball glove up there & someone would find something wrong with it) rate Aero Precision favorably. I scoured the 'net & found a lot more good than bad. What a wealth of information I'm being allotted on my op. ..grateful. I will study your recommendations on furniture. I've x to choose wisely. One that caught my interest is 1 from Israel. It holds a 10 rd mag. Now that sounds cool. But I'll definitely study the options. ..great point about the light. I'm onboard with your reasoning. I've now scratched the idea of having the light switch contolled by my shooting hand. ..probably leave off the Red Dot--but will probably add 1 later--& get to know the new li'l gem with irons.
This is funny: Up 'til a few mos ago I had no desire to own an AR and I've been a bit of a firearms enthusiast for 50 yrs. Then I watched a vid of that hot-as-fire, pro-2A Liz Wheeler--highly recommend her--extolling (I think that's the right word) the virtues of the AR. From there over the course of maybe 3 mos I went from a mild desire for America's favorite rifle to "I GOTTA HAVE IT!" Go figure. And I must admit: Building 1 really does sound like fun.
Old June 26, 2018, 03:46 AM   #7
MrBot

riffraff, Dang! Your giving me ideas. ..could there be an AR build in the future? 1st gonna complete the 1 I have though, field strip, clean & lube the Aero 'til I can do it in my sleep, send some lead downrange & in general enjoy the heck out of it. That should all be easy--and fun. This has been crazy. It usually takes about a yr from the x I want a new gun 'til I actually buy it. This 1 took literally days. ..never done that. But I really wanted to get this done. The $ part of it was largely irrelevant. ..was condidering other choices that were a whole lot more than the Aero. But quite frankly I coulda been happy with any of 'em. On another day I may have gone with something else. That made the process of pulling the trigger on this sale a lot easier--I had no pre-conceived notions as to what I had to have--I instead figured that out as I went along. Of all the carbines on my short list this 1 was the least expensive. But it got the nod not because of that, but rather because it has all I concluded is needed in a hd long gun. It'll compliment my hgs nicely. Great input @ thefiringline. ..made it all easier.
Old June 26, 2018, 04:17 AM   #8
MrBot

Mobuck, I totally agree: What you have for sd absolutely, positively has gotta work. That's why I carried a Ruger SP101 .357 snubby for over a yr after getting my cc license. It works! But I must take issue with the accuracy thinking. From what little I've read it's my understanding that hitting a target in a high-stress sd shooting can be darned difficult, especially with a hg. For starters you have that tiny li'l sight radius working against you, not to mention you may have little x to line up the sights. Plus, your assailant may not just stand there while you take shots @ him. I read an FBI report once that concluded if confronted by someone with a hg, if there's much distance @ all between the 2 of you, you should run. If you do within a second or so, assuming you have any wheels under you @ all, you'll soon be far 'nuf away that getting hit would be unlikely. That same conclusion would apply to your home invader. I've shotguns loaded with buck in the house & I'll soon have the 5.56. I've shot many a bird & rabbit with the scatterguns no problem @ all. I would have ended up with a lot less meat on the table had I been looking down the bbl of say that li'l Ruger. In a home invasion, if I can get to one, I'm grabbing a sg or the AR before a hg.
Old June 26, 2018, 04:21 AM   #9
MrBot

lordmorgul, Like I say: You guys have got me thinking. No 1 says you can only have 1 AR, right?
Old June 26, 2018, 12:43 PM   #10
marine6680

The more ARs the better. LOL

When it comes to stocks, I tend to pass over gimmicks, and go with what is simple and works.

Magpul is proven, and not very expensive. (Some models anyway) BCM also has a butstock, which I like a good deal, and it's reasonable in price as well.

The Magpul stock has a longer length of pull when fully extended than the BCM stocks, about an inch.

So if you are taller, the Magpul may work better.
Old June 26, 2018, 08:15 PM   #11
Mobuck

"But I must take issue with the accuracy thinking. "
Hd= home defense, correct? At 30', 6 MOA is still a pretty small strike zone.
Old June 26, 2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Kirosha

Home defense can include property defense. Animals from predators, MIL Suite being broken into, expensive equipment being stolen.

That said, the key to SD situations is muscle memory in my mind. That way you don't think about it, you just do it. The key to defending your home is a bit more foggy. Ignoring the legals, making a shot out to "n" yards while Joe is kicking down your pool house door that your teenager sleeps in...

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old June 26, 2018, 11:34 PM   #13
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBot View Post
riffraff, Dang! Your giving me ideas. ..could there be an AR build in the future? 1st gonna complete the 1 I have though, field strip, clean & lube the Aero 'til I can do it in my sleep, send some lead downrange & in general enjoy the heck out of it. That should all be easy--and fun. This has been crazy. It usually takes about a yr from the x I want a new gun 'til I actually buy it. This 1 took literally days. ..never done that. But I really wanted to get this done. The $ part of it was largely irrelevant. ..was condidering other choices that were a whole lot more than the Aero. But quite frankly I coulda been happy with any of 'em. On another day I may have gone with something else. That made the process of pulling the trigger on this sale a lot easier--I had no pre-conceived notions as to what I had to have--I instead figured that out as I went along. Of all the carbines on my short list this 1 was the least expensive. But it got the nod not because of that, but rather because it has all I concluded is needed in a hd long gun. It'll compliment my hgs nicely. Great input @ thefiringline. ..made it all easier.
I think I wrote this on the other thread too but it isn't a build I'm talking about.

All you gotta do is pick the complete upper you want, pick the complete lower you want, the BCG you want, and the charging handle you want, and snap them together. Then whammo - you got a rifle.

Just as you would ship that rifle you are looking at to an FFL, you do the same for the lower you want. Then the rest you can order at your leisure and have it shipped directly to you.

Building on the other hand is when you go picking upper, lower, barrel, guards, flash hider, trigger, buffer tube,etc.. etc.. and you actually assemble it - much different than clipping uppers and lowers together, which like I said you gotta take apart just to clean them.
Old June 27, 2018, 01:55 AM   #14
MrBot

Yepper, like I say: Maybe something scoped in 20". Dang! Which then gets one to the choice of now or later. Let's face it: If a bunch of anti-2A zealots get elected this Nov the price of all this stuff could go up. ..just saying. If so, then what? Do you wanna wait for Lord only knows how long 'til the price comes down? ..hate to scream the sky could start falling, but the other side hates guns so bad they'll do anything to drive up the price. And I like keeping the green in my back pocket as well as the next guy, plus have my guns. ..kinda hate shopping for a fun gun--something to shoot paper targets after having just purchased & not even shot a prior one--but I also know darned good & well I'm gonna want a 2nd AR. I can't see myself getting addicted to these things & eventually owning a bunch of 'em--although if that's what 1 wants then it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing--but I know I'm probably not gonna get through even this upcoming winter b4 I'm gonna want a more accurate, longer range rifle than the Aero I just bought. You guys talked me out of a scope for the carbine & I totally agree with your thinking: A hd gun is a different animal than a target rifle. But now that leaves me without the latter. (Some might call it more a varmint rifle. I'm talking about something I can take to the range & see what I can do kneeling, sitting, prone, standing, with an attached bi-pod & off the bench @ greater distances than I could do with a .22.) It almost looks like it could be a boom or bust scenario: Buy the 2nd AR now, mothball it so to speak 'til winter when I'll have more x to mess with it, or forgo the purchase 'til I can actually get out with it praying to God all along the David Hoggs & mayor Bloombergs of the world fall flat on their asses this coming election. ..hate to even bring this stuff up, but I've been around long 'nuf to know things can go south quickly. So with that maybe I'll just have some darned good fun & have not 1 but 2 li'l jewels to show off to me buds the next x they stop by for a couple o' ice cold frosties. I won't be breaking the law if I buy 2 ARs within a matter of days or weeks of each will I? I wouldn't wanna get n2 trouble doing something I shouldn't.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:00 AM   #15
Kirosha

You won't be breaking any law I am aware of. You can buy as many or as few as you care to.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old June 27, 2018, 02:03 PM   #16
riffraff

I never buy one gun at a time, typically i put a little cash together at the ffl and take them all at once. The only caveot is if you buy more than 1 pistol a week from the same ffl, or if you are in some states near the mexican border same applies to semi auto rifles, the ffl files a special form to the feds with your purchase - is meant to help identify arms smuggling.