The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
attila787

Hog trap opinion

I'm looking for a good hog trap because my deer lease is infested with hogs. I'm new to the hunting seen and found this in my area and wanted you guys to share your opinion.

http://www.dkoutdoor.com/hogtrap.html

According the gentlemen when I called it's 3 ft. high, 4 ft wide, and 8 ft long.

Is 3 ft high tall enough????
Old September 8, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Having trapped quite a bit, no trap is going to get very many of the big breeder hogs as they are quite smart. You may get a few but those not trapped will learn as soon as they see one in a trap. You will capture many of the "eater size" from 30-75 pounds with many near a hundred pounds. That trap is fine for the little ones but to small of a door for the big ones.
http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/Fer...2-Trapping.htm
These are not as mobile but cheaper to build. Will catch multiples if you bait the ground right.
More caution must be used in handling the hogs as they can lunge at you.
Here is one of my old box traps, it was 4-5 feet high, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long... making a trap with old bedframe metal and mesh will cost much less.
http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/Fer...2-Trapping.htm

I will freely expound with what I know if you ask more direct questions...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One more point of note... If that is 4 feet wide, it ain't 3 feet tall. 2-2.5 is more realistic.
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
attila787

Thanks for the reply since i really don't have the time to make one myself I'm going to venture out a little and see what else I can find.
Old September 8, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The circle traps erect pretty quick, (under an hour with a t-post driver... But a larger trap may get built cheaper by a local weld shop than these guys on the net. Another thing to consider is a quote for 4 or 6 as the price each will be lower, and results better than one. when you are ready...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...light=hog+bait
Here is my hog bait recipe...
Brent
Old September 8, 2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Hog Hunter

Agree with hogdogs, the traps dont really catch nothin but your smaller pigs. I have caught 200-250 in the traps but just a few. I like to hunt the bigger ones at night in a feild that is well baited, I sit about 100 yrds away from the bait (usally soured corn) just wait and listen, you can always hear them when they get there i have taken many big boars and sows using this method. I only use one baited area to try and concentrait them. Another cheap way i read in a magazine was to take a 5 gallon bucket with top, a peice of rebar or all thread and a 4 or 5 foot chain. Drill 20 or so half inch holes in the bucket fill it with corn drive the peice of rebar in the grond and attach the chain to it and the bucket. Never tried it but the guy said it works.

During deer season try to find where the hogs are generally bedding. place a stand near it and hunt it, when you hear the hogs get up in the morning go and try to cut them off. This method has been one of my most sucessfull next to shooting them at night. Wich You cant do durring deer season unless you have a permit.

Ive never put dogs out on the hogs cause i like to think of myself as the dog when it comes to hog hunting, but it is a very effective way of taking the mature pigs outa the pack.
Old September 8, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Another cheap way i read in a magazine was to take a 5 gallon bucket with top, a peice of rebar or all thread and a 4 or 5 foot chain.
We call these "hog toys" work well but the 5 gal buckets are easily destroyed. We switched to the blue 33-44 (can't remember) barrels. Drill a hundred or so 1/2 inch and 9/16 inch holes all over it. Get the kind with plastic screw on lid and screw 3 screws in the threaded band. Put a hole big enough for your rope and put a good large knot in it in the bottom of the barrel. Fill with up to 2oo pounds corn and several packs of fruit punch kool-aid powder. Leave standing with a little sour corn on ground around it. You will know when they found it as they barrel will be on it's side. We used 30 feet of rope tied to a tree and the barrel would get rolled all over the available distance.
Brent
Old September 11, 2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Foxrr

I haven't done much hog hunting but am gearing up for it now as our West Oz cropping season gets closer. Am nearly finished building a trap with swing-down gate using mainly old steel-angle bed frames and mesh as hogdogs suggested. I don't plan on using dogs but but it's big here in Australia.
In southern West Australia hogs are an ever growing problem, as they are all over the country. Queensland is rife with them. As long as the shooter has permission to shoot on property there are absolutely no restrictions on taking hogs anywhere in Oz. Australia is something of a pighunters' paradise.
As usual you guys give good advice here. Gentlemen, as a hog-hunting tyro I thank you for it. And that 'noble' site is top stuff.