The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 27, 2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Excoastie

10/22 alternative

What is everyone using as an alternative to the Ruger 10/22?

I've currently got a 10/22, but I don't like it as much as I feel that I should like it. Before I purchased it (used about 2 yrs ago) everything that I read said that if you're looking for a .22LR rifle, then the Ruger was the way to go.

It's a great rifle to shoot, the problem comes in when it is time to clean it. To put it mildly, it's a major PITA to clean. Let's not get into the debate about how often to clean a weapon; we all have our opinions, that isn't what this thread is about.

What's a good alternative to the 10/22 that is easier to clean? I don't like how difficult the Ruger is to take down, several pins that potentially could get either stuck (they have been) or lost. The bolt is a real mother to get in and out, etc.

I'm looking to spend ~$250 for the weapon, possibly a bit more if it already has a scope mounted. I've considered the Marlin 795 or possibly the model 60, though don't really care for the tube feed on the 60.

I will be using it pretty much only to plink at the range. Nothing serious, nothing fancy.

Exco
Old April 27, 2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Buzzcook

There's the Remington Speedmaster M552. I like it fine.
Old April 27, 2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Mobuck

Get a bolt action.
Old April 27, 2018, 10:00 PM   #4
turtlehead

I bought a quality bolt action and sold everything else. CZ 455 with a quality scope. Once you shoot that you won't ever want to shoot the other stuff.
Old April 28, 2018, 01:20 AM   #5
Scorch

A good quality bolt action is the answer. I have an obsession with accurate rifles, including 22s. I own a Remington 541T and several 77/22s, so I never really got into 10/22s. Not that you can't make a 10/22 accurate, I have built several that shot 1/2 MOA or better at 100 yds, but a bolt action can do it easier and with less weight than a 10/22.
Old April 28, 2018, 01:22 AM   #6
Pops1085

Well as a long time marlin model 60 owner, if you dislike the Rugers takedown, then you’ll dislike the marlin more.
Old April 28, 2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Areoflyer09

I’ve been working through the same question.

The answer is there isn’t much. I’ve come up with best alternatives are the CZ512 & the Savage 64. The CZ is outside your budget range and most forum reviews say the Mcarbo trigger pieces are worth it for the 64.

If you have an AR you could possibly do a conversion kit for it. CMMG’s kit starts around $220. Can’t much easier to clean than that.

I don’t understand the push for bolt actions. I love my bolt actions, but they aren’t a replacement for a semi-auto. Both are fun, just in different ways and they don’t really replace each other.
Old April 28, 2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Pahoo

Get what meets your expectations.

Quote:
What is everyone using as an alternative to the Ruger 10/22?
As an alternative? "Nothing" .....
As far as options, on .22 rifles, There are many great choices and all come with their respective manuals. I take them as they come. .....

Quote:
I never really got into 10/22s.
We are all entitled to our own measure and I have found the 10/22 to be one of the best. I find them to be very user friendly and easy to clean. I routinely do trigger jobs on them and really enjoy working with them. If yours is not providing the same performance as mine, then by all means, look for something that does. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 28, 2018, 10:19 AM   #9
BBarn

Not sure there are any 22 semi-autos that are much easier to disassemble than the 10/22. If it's the pins you don't like, you might consider a Browning 22 Automatic. However, the Browning's recoil spring presents a challenge during assembly/disassembly. And the Browning will bust your $250 budget.
Old April 28, 2018, 04:19 PM   #10
dgludwig

If you can find one, the Norinco repo is an affordable and viable alternative to the above referenced Browning .22 auto.
Old April 28, 2018, 06:28 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Mossberg 702 Plinkster. You're really stuck with just the 10 round magazines as the 25 rounders are hideously large and not reliable. The 10 rd mags are so small however that you can carry dozens of them no problem.

I find that the Mossberg is more accurate than it should be for its low price point. They're under 150 and perform well above that price.
Old April 28, 2018, 06:56 PM   #12
pblanc

If the pins that hold in the trigger group are a little sticky, give it some time and they will loosen up. The bolt retaining pin is usually not a big problem to get in or out. The two trigger group pins are identical so you can't mix them up. The bolt retaining pin is clearly larger. Just put the three pins in a little dish when you take them out.

If you have a barrel band and want to eliminate a step, just leave it off. Many 10/22 owners do and some feel their rifles shoot better without the band. Although removing and replacing the band is insanely easy IMO. The take-down screw is captive, so unless you deliberately take it all the way out, it would be hard to lose it.

The bolt is a legitimate gripe. To remove it, it is often easier to pull the charging handle back, invert the receiver, tap the rear of the receiver on a surface and allow the bolt to drop out. Putting it back in is usually the issue. There is a simple tool that makes this considerably easier:

http://www.gunsmithertools.com/gunsm...bar/index.html

You can also make small modifications to your receiver and your bolt to make it easier to remove and install, but you might not want to do that.
Old April 28, 2018, 08:14 PM   #13
imashooter

Had my 10/22 for decades and it remains a great shooter. Last year I purchased a M&P 15-22. I find it to be excellent and the fun factor should be illegal. And very easy to clean.
Old April 28, 2018, 09:35 PM   #14
jmr40

I just counted 90 different versions of the Ruger 10-22 here

https://ruger.com/products/1022/overview.html

Most people only think of the basic 10-22 carbine. I wouldn't have one as a gift. But there are several other versions of the 10-22 that are excellent. I've tried a lot of different rifles but still cannot find anything better in a semi-auto. At least in the right configuration.

I'm really liking this one. Basically any of them without the barrel band and a real stock. The standard carbine stock might fit a 10 year old kid, but not an adult.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Sport...eets/1237.html

Cleaning isn't a big deal. Most everything else will be even harder to deal with.

Winston Churchill
Old April 29, 2018, 07:02 AM   #15
Excoastie

Thanks, everyone I have some looking around to do

Quote:
If you have an AR you could possibly do a conversion kit for it.
I don't have an AR. I don't do much shooting with a rifle, and I don't want to spend the money required for an AR

Quote:
Just put the three pins in a little dish when you take them out.
I have been doing that very thing, but they are still a PITA to get in and out

Quote:
There is a simple tool that makes this considerably easier:
I will also check out the bolt tool.

Exco
Old April 29, 2018, 07:37 AM   #16
turtlehead

The bolt tool makes a big difference in your attitude toward that rifle.
Old April 29, 2018, 01:28 PM   #17
Drm50

I've had 10/22s since before they were cool, when they first come out. I can't
think of another 22 semi that is as easy to work on and clean. Even trigger group is easy. If rifle has not been abused it should be easy to take apart and
clean. It's what you are use to. I also hear people complain about the take down
on Ruger auto 22 pistol. The only ones I have had trouble with are ones that
have been forced, which doesn't work. If it's lined up right it will snap right
together. On 10-22 I don't have any special tools. I will say as far as changing
the Trigger module to plastic it made the gun just another 22. I was a cheerleader for 10/22 until then. I still like them but their quality has suffered
the last few years.
Old April 29, 2018, 01:32 PM   #18
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1085 View Post
Well as a long time marlin model 60 owner, if you dislike the Rugers takedown, then you’ll dislike the marlin more.
Same for me!
http://gunsmithertools.com/gunsmithe...bar/index.html has a bolt install tool that makes it easier. Also, you can make your own.

Bolt actions are definitely easier to clean.
Old April 29, 2018, 02:49 PM   #19
Pahoo

They are still that good

Quote:
I was a cheerleader for 10/22 until then. I still like them but their quality has suffered the last few years.
I can tell that you are informed on the 10/22 and I agree with your measure. I routinely work on them and every time I see the latest models, not sure what to expect. ......

I still think they are still that good or I would not recommend them. You just don't see many older used ones, for sale. Last week I saw an add by a local chain store and they were listing new carbines for $179.00. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 29, 2018, 07:21 PM   #20
riffraff

No idea how accurate it is (and BTW they do have more of a match grade model that is +$200) but I love my S&W 15-22. It's super light, runs on anything I've put through it, and is a great value for the ~$350 you will pay. I'll also say it does not need to be cleaned much - have not run into a situation yet where it was screwing up before I got around to cleaning it. You should be able to go 500 rounds between cleanings anyway.
Old May 2, 2018, 05:49 PM   #21
44caliberkid

Years ago, when my adult kids were 12 - 13, we got the two boys .22LR auto rifles. One was a Ruger 10/22. Of course, they couldn't both have the same rifle, so we got the other one a Remington 597. The after market makes a lot of parts and accessories for them. He's 33 now and still has and uses it.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:24 PM   #22
Blue Duck

I have owned several 10/22's, first one nearly 40yrs ago. I remember deciding to see how long I could shoot my 10/22 without cleaning it. I don't remember now, but it was several bricks. I never broke that gun down, to clean it completely and it served me well for a long time. I eventually traded it off, and regretted it, but acquired another which ended up being more accurate then the first one.
And I have a couple more, one has a factory full length stock, and I was very surprised as to how accurate it is, but have another old one with a carbine stock that never was very accurate.

I have seen varying degrees of accuracy out of different 10/22's but most have been very reliable at least with the original 10rd mags, even when pretty dirty, as long as they have at least had a little oil sprayed on them once in a while.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:28 PM   #23
Blue Duck

Anyway, if you are going to have to keep a .22 squeaky clean, Like others have said, "get a bolt action" or a Marlin model 39 leveraction or something.
Old May 3, 2018, 09:50 AM   #24
Fishbed77

The answer is find yourself a good old Marlin 39A.

Of course, it will cost more than $250. But it's a take-down, and it's easy to clean!
Old May 3, 2018, 10:34 AM   #25
sigshepardo

I've come to really enjoy the new generation of Henry survival rifles.

- easy disassembly
- flush fitting 8 round mags
- ultra lightweight
- decent aftermarket support.
- $250