The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2020, 08:02 AM   #1
Tygus.Shooting

Does anyone here use 22-round .40S&W Glock Magazines?

I bought a pair that I hoped to use as reloads for my G23, but haven't had any luck with either of them.

These 22-round magazines were a trifle longer than the 17-round (15+2) magazines that I already owned, and they protruded over 2 inches beyond the base of the Glock 23’s grip. Since they were meant to be carried as reloads, however, I didn’t mind their extra length one bit.

What really disappointed me was that both of these new 22-round magazines failed to work properly with my Glock 23.

Every time I loaded them to full capacity and took them to the range with me, they would fail to cough up their full complement of cartridges. At some point during the firing string, the .40 S&W cartridges would always nose-dive inside those magazines, resulting in a failure to feed in every instance. It didn’t matter what sort of .40 S&W ammunition I used, either. The malfunction manifested itself with full metal jackets and with every brand of hollow points I tried.

I have no idea whether this is a common occurrence with these 22-round magazines, or if I simply obtained a bad pair. I have not had the chance to test these extended magazines with a full-size Glock 22, to determine whether they work properly with the larger gun.

Suffice it to say that they have never worked properly with my Model 23, and I would never dream of carrying extra ammunition in these magazines, as reloads for defensive carry. I happen to believe that every piece of carry equipment needs to deliver 100% performance every time, and magazines are no exception.

These two magazines have since been locked away, until I find the time to take them apart and hopefully, find out why they behave so badly.

The folks over at the Glock.Pro forum have suggested that I return the pair to Glock for replacement. Before I do that, however, I'd like to find out if any TFL members have 22-round .40S&W mags that actually work; otherwise, the swap-over is just going to be an exercise in futility.

Kindly let me know!

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!

Last edited by Tygus.Shooting; September 5, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old September 4, 2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Dan-O

I’ve found that some extended mags have too much wobble and during shooting they move too much in the grip. Too easy to inadvertently grip the front end of the mag with a pinky causing the top of the mag to move forward.

I’d take em apart and make sure they’re clean/free of burrs. Then I’d call Glock and see what they have to say.

Stronger mag springs might alleviate the problem too. Been out of the glock game too long to remember if they’re using 22 mag springs in the extended mags. This would explain the sluggish feeding your experiencing.
Old September 4, 2020, 03:48 PM   #3
GarrettJ

I’ve got a couple of them. I haven’t used them extensively, but they have run fine in g22, 23 & 27
Old September 4, 2020, 05:09 PM   #4
lll Otto lll

I'd recommend loading the mags with all but the last round and let sit for few days. You can also manually cycle the mag from full to empty several times to assist in the break-in.
Old September 4, 2020, 05:50 PM   #5
PatientWolf

I’ve run them a few times in a G23 gen 4 with no problem. Mostly they get used in a sub-2000.
Old September 4, 2020, 11:07 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Like post #2, I've had issues with extended mags in Glock pistols, specifically 30 rd aftermarket non-Glock mags, but the 22 rd Glock mag I've had no issues with. Some guns and mags just do not mix and Glocks seem to be very finicky, tho I have had good luck with Magpul 9mm mags.

The 30 rd Glock mags made by ETS and SGM have ran flawless in PCC's I have. I think the fixed barrel in the PCC's makes for a more reliable feeding setup than a tilting barrel.
Old September 6, 2020, 10:49 AM   #7
FotoTomas

I bought three to use with a KelTec Sub2000 and they ran great. They have also worked well in my Glock 22 and 27. My car carry bag has a Glock 22 in it with a 22 round Glock.40 magazine as a spare in a pocket of the bag. In my experience they work great.
Old September 6, 2020, 11:19 AM   #8
Tygus.Shooting

Thank you all for your answers!

Really appreciate the time that every one of you took to reply --- your responses were very helpful.

Looks like my next move is to get these defective magazines back to Glock for replacement, then. And keep my fingers crossed that the replacements work better!

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!