The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 21, 2020, 01:01 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Steel 22lr SA Revolvers

Who makes quality 22lr/22mag revolvers? I have no chance at finding one on the shelf at LGS. So, I have to order. I dont want to get a light die cast gun. I am told the Ruger Single Six #0622 is a quality steel gun. What else is out there?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 21, 2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Uberti: https://www.uberti-usa.com/1873-cattleman-22-revolver

5.5" barrel in a 6-shot configuration, all three "classic" barrel lengths in 12-shot.

Most people would probably prefer having 12 shots without reloading rather than 6. I'm old enough to have grown up watching Gene, Roy, and the Lone Ranger. My dinosaur brain still thinks a six-shooter should hold six shoots, dadgummit.
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Gene, Roy, and the Lone Ranger's six guns held 20-30 rounds!
Old September 21, 2020, 03:04 PM   #4
ballardw

Ruger's Single-Six is steel and lots of it for the caliber.
Old September 21, 2020, 03:30 PM   #5
BoogieMan

@Aguilla Blanca- Do you know if the Uberti Stallion is steel as well? Uberti lists them as CH Steel. But, I have heard many are actually die cast with a CH steel appearance.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 21, 2020, 04:53 PM   #6
ghbucky

S&W Model 17 Masterpiece

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...17-masterpiece

OOPs, I missed OP is looking for SA. Well... this still applies, just shoot it SA
Old September 21, 2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs
Gene, Roy, and the Lone Ranger's six guns held 20-30 rounds!
Gene and Roy, maybe, and some of the bad guys. The Lone Ranger never needed more than one shot. More than once he was ambushed by a guy with a rifle -- who missed -- and the ranger took him out with one un-aimed shot from his trusty six shooter.

Must have been those silver bullets.

Of course, in the pilot for the television series, the Ranger killed a buffalo with one shot from his Colt.
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2020, 06:02 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Looks like Pietta has them, too: http://piettausa.com/Maverick-Models_c_36.html
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2020, 07:06 PM   #9
shurshot

I have the Uberti Stallion 6 shot, 5.5" .22. Nice shooter, once it was fixed under warranty (hammer kept slipping out of full cock, brand new gun). Keep in mind, Benelli USA refused to pay shipping, that was on MY dime. So the revolver cost me about an extra $109.00 over the original price for Fed Ex overnight shipping.
That minor gripe aside (it WAS a new gun, it should have worked properly, and they should have paid shipping), the gun is very nice. They did fix it, and fixed it properly too, function is now perfect. Walnut grips are amazing, fixed sights shoot to point of aim (I have no problem blasting rotten eggs at 15 yards or so). Its a fun little plinker, has the Swiss-safe feature (4 click hammer), cylinder bolt can be pushed in deeper to render the weapon inoperative, in case it is dropped. Case colors are ok, nothing Special. Fit and finish are ok as well, one rough spot near the loading gate latch, but for the price I can't fault Uberti. Pretty cool little Colt SAA copy in my opinion.
Great small game / pest control, Saturday afternoon backyard or camp plinker. Great rat / squirrel gun around bird feeder. I like fixed sights on handguns and especially six shooters. All Steel too (I believe), no plastic or zinc castings that I can see.
I sure wish Colt would introduce an all steel (not a Zinc alloy), .22 SAA revolver. I would gladly pay extra for a top of the line plinker made in the USA. Until then, I guess the Uberti Stallion will have to suffice.

Last edited by shurshot; September 22, 2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old September 21, 2020, 08:20 PM   #10
Grant 14

My eyes may be old, but the Uberti 12 shot photo shows a cylinder that only hold 10 shots. Maybe it is like in the movies where everybody has 30 shot revolvers. When I was a kid, my grandmother had an 8 shot 22 revolver. I think it was an H&R. Nice little gun. Grant.
Old September 21, 2020, 08:55 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14
My eyes may be old, but the Uberti 12 shot photo shows a cylinder that only hold 10 shots.
You're right. I didn't bother to count. And the video says it's 10 rounds. I wonder why the web site claims twelve.
Jeepaholic
Old September 21, 2020, 11:30 PM   #12
Hawg

Some of the Heritage guns have steel frames. FIE used to import a small frame SA .22 with a steel frame and gorgeous case colors.
Old September 22, 2020, 05:46 AM   #13
darkgael

Ruger Bearcat.
If you want small....really small.....look at North American Arms.

Last edited by darkgael; September 22, 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old September 22, 2020, 03:12 PM   #14
Obambulate

Ruger Wrangler is very inexpensive
I like the NAA Black Widow for a small but shootable pocket gun. SA .22lr/.22mag
Old September 22, 2020, 04:23 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obambulate
Ruger Wrangler is very inexpensive
But the Ruger Wrangler isn't all steel.
Jeepaholic
Old September 22, 2020, 04:50 PM   #16
stinkeypete

I had a Ruger Single Six and was disappointed at the accuracy. I believe it's because the Single Six is also convertible to the .22 WMR and... (long winded throat and bore and blah blah) and I didn't want to shoot .22 WMR!

I replaced it with a Ruger Bearcat and although it's not more accurate, it's much smaller (shorter sight radius), has fixed sights and it's light and cute as a bug. Same accuracy from a much smaller gun that's lighter to carry and a real classic.

If you don't want the cute Bearcat, I would seriously look at the
Ruger Single 10
as it's designed from the start to shoot .22 LR and although I think six-guns should shoot 6 (or 5) or wait... 10 is fine in a .22!
Old September 22, 2020, 05:43 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
But the Ruger Wrangler isn't all steel.
And they're ugly.
Old September 22, 2020, 06:36 PM   #18
shurshot

I agree .... They sure are ugly!!!
Old September 22, 2020, 07:17 PM   #19
rclark

Quote:
I had a Ruger Single Six and was disappointed at the accuracy.
But that is your experience. Mine is nice an accurate... As long as I shoot what it likes to be fed.... I don't know why exactly, but each .22 seems to have a preference .
I really 'like' my Single Six.... And it is a 'proper' six shooter... not a 10 shooter, not a 12 shooter .... a six-shooter.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old September 22, 2020, 07:25 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
And they're ugly.
That, too.
Jeepaholic
Old September 22, 2020, 08:59 PM   #21
Double K

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878657713

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878716123

This is a used gun but it is my favorite of the 3 posted

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879434669
Old September 23, 2020, 01:07 AM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

The Smith and Wesson Model 17 (and its predecessor the K-22) has always been the gold standard of 22 rimfire revolvers. These are double action revolvers. Also available today in a Stainless version as the model 617.

Since your question was specific to single action revolvers, the Ruger Single Six has always been a quality 22 rimfire revolver. Blued Single Sixes have always been all steel except for the grip frame and ejector rod housing, which are anodized cast aluminum. Stainless Single Sixes are all Stainless, including the grip frame and ejector rod housing.

These are the old Three Screw Single Sixes, you can see the different color of the anodized aluminum grip frames. Three Screw Rugers have not been made for many years, they did not have a transfer bar in them and could only be safely loaded with five rounds with an empty chamber under the hammer. Since the 1970s, all Rugers have a transfer bar inside, so they can all be safely loaded with six (or 9 or 10, or however many rounds it takes to fill the cylinder.) You will notice that one of my old Single Sixes has an adjustable rear sight, the other two came with a rear sight that was adjustable for windage by drifting it to one side or the other. They were not adjustable for elevation. Most Single Sixes today come with adjustable sights, although I notice that one model comes with fixed sights, that are not adjustable for windage or elevation.

The Ruger Wrangler is a brand new entrant in the single action rimfire market. Clearly designed to compete with the Heritage 22s in price. The Wrangler frame is aluminum, the grip frame is cast zinc alloy. The cylinder and barrel are both steel. The Cerakote finish on the Wrangler is one way the cost is kept down, it is a less expensive finish than a polished blue finish. The Wrangler is only chambered for 22 Long Rifle, it does not come with an auxiliary cylinder for 22WMR. I don't own one but I have had a chance to shoot them and I was impressed with the quality. I am not impressed with the quality of the Heritage revolvers.

I will probably not be buying a Wrangler simply because I already have my old Three Screw Single Sixes.

Incidentally, the Single Six was introduced in 1953. Colt had stopped producing the Single Action Army in 1940 at the start of WWII and had no intention of re-introducing it when the War ended. Colt figured there would not be much demand for the old design, and weak sales prior to WWII seemed to bear that out. What Colt did not realize was that after WWII GIs would be returning home, and many of them would take advantage of the GI Bill to get a college education and buy their first homes. And a lot of those homes would have brand new television sets in them, and the likes of Hoppy, and Roy, as well as Matt Dillon and all the other TV cowboys would be galloping across living rooms all over the country. When the Single Six showed up in 1953 all those TV sets had created a pent up demand for a single action revolver and Ruger had a hard time keeping up with the demand. In 1955 Ruger introduced their first centerfire single action revolver a 357 Magnum Blackhawk. Colt saw the handwriting on the wall and reintroduced the SAA in 1956.

Personally, I prefer a revolver to be a six shooter, including my rimfires. I do have a ten shot S&W Model 617, I bought it used because I was taking part in a steel match and had to fire 8 aimed shots in 15 seconds. Could not do that with a six shooter. I don't shoot that match anymore, so the 617 does not get out much. For me, putting more than six shots in a revolver cylinder tends to make me go through way more ammunition than I need to.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; September 23, 2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old September 23, 2020, 01:17 AM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
The Ruger Wrangler is a brand new entrant in the single action rimfire market. Clearly designed to compete with the Heritage 22s in price. The Wrangler frame is aluminum, the grip frame is cast zinc alloy. The cylinder and barrel are both steel.
I'm pretty certain the cylinder is either aluminum or Zamak, with steel sleeves. I'm not sure about the barrel, but I thought that was also an [other than steel] alloy with a steel sleeve, as well.

[Edit] Ruger's web site says the barrel is hammer forged, so I guess it is all steel.
Jeepaholic
Old September 23, 2020, 02:26 AM   #24
Driftwood Johnson

It is less expensive to make a cylinder and barrel from steel instead of making them from some other metal and installing sleeves. Wrangler barrels and cylinders are steel.
Old October 8, 2020, 08:06 AM   #25
BoogieMan

I went back and forth with this for a while. Found something that fits the need pretty well, blued Single Six convertible. I would have liked to have had a color case hardened frame, this is close enough. I could always send it to Turnbul.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown