The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2020, 01:46 PM   #1
tlbaxter

Some Newbie Questions on a .22 Pistol (TX22)

I'm totally new to guns so bare with my ignorance. I have a few general questions.

I'm a soon to be new gun owner (getting a Taurus TX22) and I am wondering if it's safe to dry fire the gun. My understanding is that it's perfectly safe to dry fire a centerfire pistol but because the TX22 is a .22, it's a rim fire (is that right?) and it's not safe to dry fire such a gun.

If it is safe to dry fire a centerfire gun, then what's all the fuss about snap caps? What's point of snap caps if I can safely dry fire a particular gun?

Also, I read that FMJ ammo is preferable because it doesn't leave behind lead residue in the barrel but it seems most .22 is non-FMJ (not sure what it's called, but it's not FMJ). Why isn't there any FMJ ammo for a .22?

Sorry for so many questions (I have a lot more).
Old September 21, 2020, 01:52 PM   #2
ghbucky

Quote:
Why isn't there any FMJ ammo for a .22?
There is:
https://www.surplusammo.com/products...00-rounds.html

Bring the questions. That's the only way you'll get answers. And welcome aboard!

[edit] on dry firing, go to your manufacturer and see what they say about it, or ask them.
Old September 21, 2020, 02:40 PM   #3
TailGator

The reason for the general recommendation against dry fire of rim fires is that the firing pin is aligned with the wall of the barrel in order to hit the firing compound in the rim of the cartridge. In the absence of a cartridge, the pin hits the rim of the barrel, and keeping it up causes peening - deformation of the metal in that area.

The firing pin of a center-fire cartridge is lined up with the bore of the barrel, and so the end of the firing pin doesn't hit anything. A lot of people use snap caps for center fire pistols, though, reasoning that even if the tip of the firing pin doesn't hit metal, something has to stop the firing pin, and having it hit a snap cap keeps other parts of the firing pin from impacting internal structures and causing undue wear there.
Old September 21, 2020, 02:45 PM   #4
ghbucky

Quote:
reasoning that even if the tip of the firing pin doesn't hit metal, something has to stop the firing pin, and having it hit a snap cap keeps other parts of the firing pin from impacting internal structures and causing undue wear there.
Springfield says excessive dry firing can cause premature wear, so use snap caps.
Old September 21, 2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I have READ that the No 4 drywall anchor makes a serviceable .22 snap cap.
One poster said that the blue ones from ACE were tougher than the usual yellow plastic.
Old September 21, 2020, 03:06 PM   #6
jmhyer

Taurus states that the TX22 is dry-fire safe.

22LR ammo is either lead or lead that is plated with a thin coat of copper. And, while hollow point 22LR is fairly common, I've never been very convinced that there is much real world difference between hollow point and non-hollow point 22LR.
Old September 21, 2020, 03:48 PM   #7
DaleA

Goodness jmhyer, you derailed a whole thread with FACTS.

IMhO part of the fun of a new .22 is finding out what particular ammunition that gun likes. It's possible that your Taurus TX 22 might not like the same ammo a different Taurus TX 22 likes. So grab a box of every .22LR you can find and TRY them in your gun. See which ones cycle the action, which ones turn your pistol into a jam-o-matic, which ones are accurate, which ones lead the barrel, etc.

Fun.

Also, to check the accuracy I'd shoot my test group from some kind of supported position. Could be as simple as sitting behind a table with a rolled up towel under your hands that are holding the gun. You'll see what the gun is capable of doing and then you'll be shamed into practicing a lot to try to meet that standard.

As I said before, fun.
Good luck.
Old September 21, 2020, 04:20 PM   #8
wbw

It is OK to dry fire the Taurus TX22. I have about a thousand rounds through my first one and about 500 through my second one with absolutely no issues. I usually run CCI Mini mags.
That TX22 is a fun shooter.
Old September 21, 2020, 05:08 PM   #9
tlbaxter

Follow up question:

I ordered some (embarrassingly expensive) Armscor 22 LR Precision 36 Grain High Velocity Hollow Point. I just wanted to verify that this ammo is appropriate for this gun. It's not going to damage the gun in any way, right?
Old September 21, 2020, 05:51 PM   #10
wbw

I wouldn't think so.
Old September 22, 2020, 06:05 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post
There is:
https://www.surplusammo.com/products...00-rounds.html

Bring the questions. That's the only way you'll get answers. And welcome aboard!

[edit] on dry firing, go to your manufacturer and see what they say about it, or ask them.
Copper plated, not FMJ.
Old September 22, 2020, 07:38 AM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbaxter View Post
I'm totally new to guns so bare with my ignorance. I have a few general questions.

I'm a soon to be new gun owner (getting a Taurus TX22) and I am wondering if it's safe to dry fire the gun. My understanding is that it's perfectly safe to dry fire a centerfire pistol but because the TX22 is a .22, it's a rim fire (is that right?) and it's not safe to dry fire such a gun.
With some .22 LR guns it is safe to dry fire. What does the manual say?

Quote:
If it is safe to dry fire a centerfire gun, then what's all the fuss about snap caps? What's point of snap caps if I can safely dry fire a particular gun?
An extra measure of protection against damage.

Quote:
Also, I read that FMJ ammo is preferable because it doesn't leave behind lead residue in the barrel but it seems most .22 is non-FMJ (not sure what it's called, but it's not FMJ). Why isn't there any FMJ ammo for a .22?

Sorry for so many questions (I have a lot more).
Lubed right (not by you, by the manufacturer), lead leaves minimal residue in the barrel.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 22, 2020, 08:48 AM   #13
jmhyer

The ammo that you ordered will be fine.
Old September 22, 2020, 10:01 AM   #14
tlbaxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
With some .22 LR guns it is safe to dry fire. What does the manual say?
Unfortunately, the manual doesn't say anything about dry firing.
Old September 22, 2020, 10:50 AM   #15
Brit

Do you all remember that old saying? "Let your fingers do the walking?" Give the company a call, speak to a Tec. ask from a list of questions. From a notebook.
That's how you get answers. And there are lots of books on guns. And ammo.
Welcome aboard.
Old September 22, 2020, 11:00 AM   #16
tlbaxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
Give the company a call, speak to a Tec. ask from a list of questions. From a notebook.
Unfortunately, they seem reluctant to pick up the phone. I tried several times... Will do so again shortly.
Old September 22, 2020, 12:12 PM   #17
BJung

Go to the Gunsmith Section and ask them.
Old September 22, 2020, 12:53 PM   #18
DaleA

1. Jetinteriorguy is correct, .22LR rounds are copper plated or copper washed not full metal jacket (FMJ). I think it's because FMJ would be more expensive and the copper wash does about the same thing for a much lower price. It's kind of nitpicky to bring up the difference but he is correct and you might as well get the correct terminology down early as gun guys and gals are notorious for getting the terminology correct. (And this is something I agree with).

2. My advice about getting your hands on all the different .22LR you can and shooting it in YOUR gun is still good. You'll have fun and you'll gain FIRST HAND information about what ammo YOUR gun likes. Your Taurus TX 22 is a modern firearm and will be fine with any .22LR you can find

3. Leading is a minor inconvenience, not a major problem. A little work with a brass brush would get it out okay. There are liquids and devices designed to get the lead out but I really doubt you'd need more than a standard cleaning kit (which everybody needs anyway) to take care of your gun.

4. A class on guns and shooting should be in your future. Find a shooting range and see what they offer. It will probably be fun and informative. Then for a real leap see if the range has shooting leagues where you can compete with other shooters. My experience is they usually have different divisions for new shooters and even if they don't competing is a great way to push yourself to be better and have fun and meet people with similar interests. About 90% of gun guys and gals remember when they were new too and are fun to associate with.
Old September 22, 2020, 01:01 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

Lead residue in the barrel, aka leading, is caused by trying to drive a cast bullet too fast. .22's don't go fast enough. Probably billions of lead bullet rounds have been fired out of .22's with no fuss.
"...ammo is appropriate for this gun..." It'd be best to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol(I think it's a copy of a SIG. That doesn't really matter though.) both shoots well and cycles the action reliably. The price of the ammo means nothing. .22's are just like that.
The Armscor 22 LR Precision stuff is made in the Philippines. Duties etc will run up the cost.
"...What's point of snap caps..." Keeping people employed. Mind you, some of 'em can be used as DP ammo. That's Drill Purpose. Best not to dry fire any .22 without 'em.
Old September 22, 2020, 02:23 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome aboard, tlbaxter!
Quote:
Follow up question:

I ordered some (embarrassingly expensive) Armscor 22 LR Precision 36 Grain High Velocity Hollow Point. I just wanted to verify that this ammo is appropriate for this gun. It's not going to damage the gun in any way, right?
36 grain high velocity 22LR ought to be just fine. It looks like pretty standard 22LR.
Old September 22, 2020, 03:50 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
Unfortunately, the manual doesn't say anything about dry firing.
On their website, on the FAQ page:

Quote:
Can I dry fire my Taurus?
Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols. .22 caliber revolvers such as models 94 and 941 also should not be dry fired. This does not include the TaurusTX™ 22 because it is designed to be dry fire safe.
So, have at it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; September 22, 2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old September 22, 2020, 04:26 PM   #22
stinkeypete

Ammunition:
Try CCI Blazer, Aguila (40 g. standard velocity) and CCI Standard Velocity.

Bulk Ammo: stuff that comes in bucket fulls. Good enough, sometimes. Example: Thunderbolt.

Mid-Grade: CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Blazer, Aguila (regular old standard velocity)- 40 grain bullets going just sub-sonic. Nicer and more accurate than bulk, you will notice the difference.

Match Ammo: Ely, SK, Wolf etc. 3-10 times more expensive than Mid-grade and until you are shooting competitions you won't know the difference except in your wallet.

Specialty Ammo: Light bullets going very fast, Light bullets going slow for quiet shooting, extra power for hunting (CCI MiniMags), very heavy bullets going slow for less noise... these are generally expensive and don't get them until you know what you want them for. MiniMags are a common choice for more power. They generally are not as accurate as the mid-grade 40 grain bullets. You just have to try.

Cleaning and leading- you won't lead up your .22 LR barrel. Give it a good cleaning with a bronze brush and muzzle protector every 1,000 rounds. I am not joking, biggest mistake people make is over-cleaning their .22

Clean the chamber area with a soft dry cotton patches when they get dirty but there is no need to pass a brush down the barrel, in fact you will "clean the accuracy" out of it until the barrel seasons again after about 50 shots.

Dry Firing- some people dry fire A LOT. Like 100 times a day, every day. If you are just dry firing occasionally, you'll be fine.
If you want to practice a lot, it can't hurt to get a snap-cap. Drywall inserts get beat up in a hurry so buy a lot of them. The yellow ones.

Practice- very common club competition is held at 50 feet shooting at NRA Official .22 Pistol targets. See what scores you can get at 50 feet on an official target and the fellas banging away at zombies at 5 yards will seem silly.
Old September 22, 2020, 05:03 PM   #23
wizrd

It IS NOT necessarily safe to dry-fire a center fire pistol. Some revolvers, with the firing pin attached to the hammer - can be broken by dry-firing, without a snap-cap, - S & W's come to mind. Been there, done that.

Tags
dry fire