The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 8, 2020, 09:25 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson
It is less expensive to make a cylinder and barrel from steel instead of making them from some other metal and installing sleeves. Wrangler barrels and cylinders are steel.
The Hawes (JP Sauer) Western Sixshooter is Zamak. Both the barrel and the cylinder are sleeved. It also has VERY tight chambers. .22 LR cases fired in my Ciener conversion 1911 won't go into the Hawes revolver -- so I have to keep cases from the Hawes separate if I want to use them as snap caps.
Jeepaholic
Old October 8, 2020, 10:48 AM   #27
aarondhgraham

I own a SAA clone in .22 LR that I purchased new from Taylor's and Company.

If I recall correctly it's called the Cattleman.

It is 6-shot with the case hardened colored finish,,,
I bought it to pair with an Uberti SAA in .357 Magnum.

It's a decent enough shooter,,,
It has more precision than my old eyes can use.

Being all steel it's dang heavy for a .22,,,
I much prefer shooting my Colt Frontier Scout.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 9, 2020, 07:23 PM   #28
Pomeroy

Ruger is my pick. I have an old 3-screw with 22 LR and 22 Mag cylinders. I rarely use the Mag cylinder but am glad I have it. I also have a newer Bearcat in 22 LR. That is a hoot. It is fairly small for my fat fingers but does just fine.

You folks are correct about the M17 S&W. I got one when I was about 14 many years ago and still shoot it more than any other 22 handgun I have.
Old October 10, 2020, 09:52 AM   #29
Arrowhead37

I only own one single six but if I ever run across one like the one pictured in post #25 I will own two. When Ruger switched to the 22LR/22WMR combo gun I said I wouldn't ever buy one but I would make an exception in this case.
Old October 10, 2020, 01:13 PM   #30
The Happy kaboomer

Stainless .22 Ruger single six's are all steel and wood.
Old October 10, 2020, 04:32 PM   #31
zoo

Boogieman, I have the Ruger Single Six Convertible #0626 (stainless, 6.5" barrel).

Excellent single action 22/22WMR.
Old October 10, 2020, 05:27 PM   #32
shafter

It's hard to be a Single Six. Tough enough to be an heirloom.
Old October 10, 2020, 05:40 PM   #33
zoo

Maybe not for a Vanderbilt but I can see the Ruger .22 Bearcat Shopkeeper in the 3.5” barrel version as a someday heirloom type single action revolver.
Old October 10, 2020, 06:14 PM   #34
rodfac

With experience with half a dozen Single Sixes...all but one convertibles...all, ALL would shoot sub-2" groups at 25 yds from a rest with ammunition they liked. I've had good luck with Remington Golden Solids, Remington Target, CCI Mini Mags and Standard velocity rounds. All four will give that kind of accuracy. In fact, aside from the one poster here who had less than satisfactory accuracy, I've never heard of one that didn't shoot extremely well. Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 12, 2020, 09:36 AM   #35
Bhfromme

Not sure if you want SAO or simply SA but if it's the latter, the Smith Model 17 as mentioned is probably the gold standard. I like my revolvers a little smaller so I've been looking at old Pre-Model 34s or a Model 34 predating 1982. Smith also has the 63 if you like stainless. My newest love, however, is my Colt Government Model 1911 Rail Gun chambered in .22LR. It's just a beautiful thing.

My two cents is free!
Old October 12, 2020, 10:34 AM   #36
Bob Wright

For whatever its worth, here are my .22s, a Ruger Single Six, a Uberti Sallion, and a Ruger Bearcat:

I can't recommend the Bearcat for serious shooting, though it is really a fun gun to hold and shoot. If you intend to use your .22 for hunting, I'd suggest a Super Single Six with adjustable sights. But the Ruger and Uberti are mighty fine little revolvers. All of my Single Actions are six shot, and I intend to keep it that way. I'm mighty careful with my guns while shooting, and I don't want to fire five rounds and still have live rounds remaining in the cylinder!

Bob Wright
Old November 8, 2020, 10:39 AM   #37
jstert

Steel 22lr SA Revolvers

get a ruger single action revolver and be done, new or used. built like a brick outhouse with a lifetime factory warranty so used rugers are worthwhile purchases even if cosmetically challenged.

despite its alloy frame consider the ruger wrangler if you only want 22lr and remain uncommitted to the world of single action revolvers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 8, 2020, 09:27 PM   #38
Straitshot

My Taylor is a full sized single action and is a 12 shot. It is a .22 long rifle only and does not have an interchangeable .22 mag. cylinder. It is a terrific .22 revolver and is quite accurate for a single action with fixed sights. It is made by Uberti. It does have the new internal hammer safety and only three clicks, but it is still a very nice revolver. I would buy it again in a heart beat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03351-1-2.jpg (49.2 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Straitshot; November 8, 2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old November 8, 2020, 09:31 PM   #39
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Is the Taylor made by Uberti or Pietta, and is it a full-size SAA or a Ruger Single Six size?
Jeepaholic
Old November 8, 2020, 09:40 PM   #40
Straitshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Is the Taylor made by Uberti or Pietta, and is it a full-size SAA or a Ruger Single Six size?
You posted your post before I finished my post so check my post just before yours. I answered your question.
Old November 8, 2020, 10:02 PM   #41
Drm50

If you are buying new Ruger is the wise choice. Much better gun that the imports. The only one close was the Colt New Frontier, which is no longer made.
Old November 9, 2020, 01:28 PM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

I've had a Ruger Super Single Six (adj sights) Convertible (.22WMR cylinder) since the 80s. I'd have to check but I think the grip frame and maybe the ejector rod housing are aluminum.

For the money, I think its the best .22 SA you can get. I don't use the WMR cylinder, haven't fired two full boxes of the stuff since I got the gun (new), for me, .22WMR is just too expensive for what you get (and that was back when it was $6 a box!)