The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2009, 09:54 AM   #226
TLeo

You could be right but I hope not and hope that folks don't forget how they have been treated. I for one, certainly will not forget. I'm a very patient, easy going guy, but once you lie to me they way they have, I never forget it and never trust you again.
Old July 4, 2009, 07:26 PM   #227
3StrikesNC

S&W (Shutup & Wait)

Anybody have their PPKS received by Smith on or AFTER April 7th and have it back???

I wrote them about the feed problems I had, maybe that's why the delay? or could be because it's a .32 ACP?

This sucks.

I got mine at Christmas, '08.

Smith will soon have posession of my gun longer than I

BTW, I wrote them a few weeks ago, got a standard DBU email a week later.
Old July 4, 2009, 11:47 PM   #228
MartyG

3Strikes, I'm sorry to hear your story. But I HAVE to commend you on the title of your message! - S&W = Shut up and Wait!
Very good!
At least you're maintaining some sense of humor. Don't despair, all good things come to those who wait.... That's what my mom used to say.
Old July 5, 2009, 08:28 AM   #229
bignz

I had actually asked for some additional work to mine (SW received 4/7). Twice (in about 800 rounds) my ppk/s got stuck in a strange half-cock position and I wrote about it in my letter accompanying the recall. They replaced all sorts of hardware under the hammer and extending toward the trigger.

I used to have a slide lock/ejector (whatever you call that little metal piece on the left side that holds open the slide after the last round) that would pop our easily when cleaning and was a pain to reinstall. They gave me a new one that doesn't want to pop out. So I'm pretty happy with everything they did (except the double tap mark - see previous message, and it goes without saying that the lack of communication and length of time were awful). I took it to the range and put 150 through it and not a single problem.
Old July 5, 2009, 05:11 PM   #230
3StrikesNC

Bignz;

Thanks, encouraging words. Is yours a .32 ACP or .380?

As I wrote, I hope it's taking this long because they're addressing the feed jams that I continously put up with.

But it's still Shutup & Wait ...., (3) months and nothing but a DBU form (email) letter response a week later.

Last edited by 3StrikesNC; July 5, 2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old July 5, 2009, 06:44 PM   #231
bignz

Old July 12, 2009, 08:02 PM   #232
3StrikesNC

Shutup & Wait

Still don't have my Walther back. "Soucey" signed for mine on April 7, 2009. It was brand new waiting for an owner on the shelf late on 2008. Smith has now had it in their posession for over three months, almost longer than I have at this point.

Believe me, I will not forget this ! No customer contact, "canned" responses that take a week or more to receive. Just very poor customer contact, in fact, it's not even customer service.

Yes, I am upset. So much so that I'm sorry to say I own five of their firearms, all purchased since the Clinton years. I thought they were a different company. Guess not.

Old July 13, 2009, 06:24 AM   #233
TLeo

3strikesNC, I know exactly what you mean. Mine was received march 30 and still nothing. I only had mine a couple weeks before sending it in. I wont forget the crappy service either and let them know how I felt. At this point I don't care if I ever get it back,,I'll never own a S&W product again!
Old July 13, 2009, 07:52 PM   #234
OnTarget

Update from another board

Here is a post from another board re the PPK:

"...this is the response I got from them Friday July 10 via email...

'We are taking care of the recall repairs and shipping an average of 300 firearms per day, the PPK model requires an additional part that the PPK/S model does not, the original time quote was missed due to us not having the part. After we received the part we completed the level test to prove the repair will work and we are beginning the repairs on the PPK this week. We are told by the Walther repair group they will have everything in house completed within six weeks.' "
Old July 14, 2009, 06:52 AM   #235
TLeo

I hope that timeline is right but I feel it's just more of the same old crap from S&W. They told me a month ago that they had the spring and were starting work on the ppk. :barf:

Last edited by TLeo; July 14, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:40 AM   #236
bronson5

Folks, I'm happy to report that I received my PPK ( not PPK/S ) back yesterday. Haven't had a chance to test it but it was sure good see it again. So... the reports are true, they are now doing the PPK repairs.
Old July 15, 2009, 12:33 PM   #237
Jacobie

So I have decided that today is the day. If there is not a UPS or FedEx post it note on my door when I get home from the office, S&W will never see any of my money ever again.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:36 PM   #238
hhb

S&W recall

I'm in Smith&Wesson's corner on this one. They started receiving the returned Walthers on or about March 30th. From then to today, excluding weekends is 77 work days. The recall affected 92000 pistols, and if they got them all back for repair, the repair rate would be be several hundred. The PPK/s models are being repaired and returned, and the PPK models are starting the way back home. I got burned on a Ruger SR9, an LCP, and now it looks like my LCR models may have issues with flame cutting of the frame.
That's three strikes for me.
Old July 15, 2009, 04:43 PM   #239
TLeo

hhb, I would probably agree with you except that S&W continually lied and misled us. Yes-- they had large numbers to work on but had they been upfront and honest about the ppk from the very start I would be more patient and understanding, but instead, they chose to purposely and constantly give misleading and false estimates from the very start. I would have also waited to send mine in when the rush calmed down instead of at the very first. Now, I see (bronson, I think) folks getting theirs back that were received more than a week after mine so that's another indication they are handling the whole thing poorly. I'm happy for him that he got it back but doesn't make sense to not have mine back ahead of his. They are not doing them in any order apparently. I have someone willing to buy it if it ever gets back and I also have another S&W for sale if anybody is interested.

Last edited by TLeo; July 15, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old July 15, 2009, 07:41 PM   #240
Billy M

My ppk/s came back today. 12 weeks excatly, 4/22-7/15. shipped to me via Fed Ex. It was very dirty and needed a good cleaning before going to the range. I shot 50 rounds of hornady critical defense. The only issue was a light primer strike on the first round in mag #3. That has never happened before. I hope this helps others who are still waiting get a better idea of their timeline.

Bill
Old July 15, 2009, 08:16 PM   #241
3StrikesNC

I believe the S&W lawyers advised them to get every PPK & PPK/S that they can out of circulation, pronto. The customer moans and groans could be dealt with by Shutup & Wait. Afterall, it's much cheaper than lawsuits.

And yes, I personally am still ticked off. Soucey signed for my PPK/S on April 7th. I STILL DO NOT HAVE IT BACK !!!! I STILL DO NOT KNOW IF IT HAS BEEN REPAIRED!!! I STILL DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE DEVIL MY GUN IS !!! AS FAR AS I KNOW, IT COULD BE LOST IN THEIR WAREHOUSE OR RETURN UPS SHIPPING !!!

So I called Shutup & Wait this past Monday. You want to hear their lack of professional customer service ??? Here's the conversation;

- "Hi, my name is ------, and I sent my Walther PPK/S in for the recall and you guys signed for it on April 7th. Can you tell me why it has not been returned to me yet?"

- "Sure, do you have your serial number?"

- "Yes, it's -------."

- "Well yes, I see here that it was received on the 7th. It's really unusal that you don't have your gun yet, why don't you wait until the end of this week and if you don't have it by then, call us back next week and we'll expedite it for you".

- "But ...., can you track it for me and tell me if it has been shipped , or even repaired yet."

- "Just give us a call next week, but you should have it by the end of this week."

So, I was dumbfounded . I've never experienced such a lack of caring about a customer, especially on a supposedly "premium $" product.

So I guess I should just Shutup & Wait and thank the great S&W gods that I have the opportunity to own one of their products.

Unless they've done something really "special" to my pistol, S&W willl never see any more of my $. PERIOD. I should have continued my boycott of their back-door, Clinton friendly company. I thought they changed. Yeah, I got sucker punched.
Old July 15, 2009, 08:19 PM   #242
bronson5

TLEO, I suspect you are right. Truth is I had been relentless with my calling for updates , emails and calling them out on their attempts at deception so perhaps I was added to the squeaky wheel list. In fact ,one e mail reply said they could not give any priority in it's return which was odd because and none was asked for. Just honesty. I do hope yours is returned quickly.
Old July 15, 2009, 08:26 PM   #243
bronson5

TLEO, I read back posts, looks like our guns arrived on the same date. Mine left UPS 3/26 and was signed for 3/30 so perhaps yours isn't far behind.
Old July 15, 2009, 08:59 PM   #244
hhb

S&W

S&W didn't lie to me, I didn't call them. After seeing the number of handguns in the recall, I bit my tongue, and settled in for the long haul. My only hope was that it was back home before we left for vacation this summer, and got shipped back to Maine because it couldn't be delivered.
Old July 16, 2009, 07:12 AM   #245
TLeo

Bronson5. glad you got yours back. Must have been thinking about someone else who sent it in after me. hhb I wasn't concerned about the wait at first but I started seeing and hearing condradicting statements and info from S&W so after almost two months that is when I emailed them. I was told 2-4 weeks left to go....fine, no problem... Then I began hearing about this new part they had to either buy or make so I emailed just for clarification and was told they had the part and started on the ppk line and mine was 1- 3 weeks out. Then I got more info that they did not have the part and had to make it, so that is when I called and asked for the true facts and they admitted they never had the part from the very beginning yet were telling some others as well as me earlier that they had it and were doing the ppk. I don't think I was being over anxious or a pest to them as I only emailed twice and called once after all the different stories. Fact is they lied to me at every step of the way and if they had just told the truth at the start I would not have been upset. That is not the type of company I will ever do business with again.I guess everybody has different points where they finally say enough is enough and I've reached mine with them.
Old July 17, 2009, 06:03 PM   #246
TLeo

Well it (ppk) finally arrived this afternoon so I'm out of this thread. Good luck to everybody waiting!
Old July 17, 2009, 08:19 PM   #247
3StrikesNC

TLeo -

Was it worth the wait?
Old July 18, 2009, 10:31 AM   #248
TLeo

Well, it was worth it only because I had someone with lots of patience still wanting to buy it and payment is on the way. I went out and got a Sig 232 that I like much better, fits my hand better, shoots well and seems to me a better quality gun. As already mentioned, their service has totally turned me against S&W and I've talked with others here locally that feel the same way about them in general because of problems they had in the past with the company.
Old July 18, 2009, 12:09 PM   #249
Jacobie

Look at the bright side fella's it could be worse, my father sent his Colt in for the recall last monday 7/14 and didn't get it back until yesterday, which was 7/17.
Old July 22, 2009, 09:42 PM   #250
OnTarget

Latest e-mail from S&W

(Update: received form letter from S&W om July 23...see attached)

Here is the latest update from S&W ... seems to fit the recent evidence regarding the PPKs being returned. I haven't received mine yet...it was delivered to S&W on March 31 (and made it to the repair area on April 6 per the message below):

"We just started sending out the PPK guns on Monday July 13th. There was a long delay in beginning the repairs due to 1 part that we were awaiting on from our outside vendor.

We are currently repairing approximately 500 guns per day. It looks like we received your gun on 4/6. As of today we have started to send out the early April PPK's so your gun should be shipped out within the next week and a half. It will be shipped back to you by Fed-Ex.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W letter.jpg (81.6 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by OnTarget; July 23, 2009 at 05:53 PM.