The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 28, 2010, 10:03 PM   #26
uncyboo

Lap your rings before you mount the next scope....can eliminate alot of internal stress if they are out of line much.
Old March 4, 2010, 10:26 AM   #27
BruceM

Before you buy a 1 piece base, lap rings or any of that stuff, check the ring alignment. The .30-06 is not a particularly hard kicking round and should not be trashing any but the most inferior of rifle scopes. Most problems of this type can be traced to incorrect ring alignment which flexes the scope's tube and raises hell with the erector system. Do a little checking before throwing big money at the problem. If you don't have the necessary tools, a gunsmith can do this check for a small fee.

Bruce
Old March 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #28
spotter123654

this problem is frustrating as can be i had similar problem but i bought bigger scope rings
Old March 4, 2010, 11:52 AM   #29
Hunter Customs

I agree with everything BruceM stated.
Most scopes are trashed by poor ring alignment.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.hutercustoms.com
Old March 4, 2010, 11:53 AM   #30
mrawesome22

So lets see. $300 gun, new stock... $200? Bases, rings, 3 scopes... priceless.

Should a' had a Remington. LOL
Old March 4, 2010, 02:32 PM   #31

*A one piece Weaver base eliminates most of the external ring-to-ring alignment problem.

xThe worst is two piece Weaver-style bases with aluminum rings. There is no provision for adjustment, vertical or horizontal. How they screw on, is what you get.
Old March 4, 2010, 03:10 PM   #32
uncyboo

Quote:
xThe worst is two piece Weaver-style bases with aluminum rings. There is no provision for adjustment, vertical or horizontal. How they screw on, is what you get.
This can apply to any ring/base set up. How the screw holes are drilled and tapped in the receiver has as much to do with 2 pc. bases aligning as anything. That is why it is recommended to lap the rings, regardless of brand or material, one pc. or two.
Old March 4, 2010, 03:12 PM   #33
golfballshootr

Quote:
There's an old saying "Buy the best and cry once".
This is very true! Go with what many folks are telling you, Leopold, Burris, or Nikon. You can most of these in their mid-range scopes for +$250, depending on where you shop. I personally have 2 of the 3 brands listed above as well as one NightForce. I would not recommend the NF for the Stevens though.

I, many years ago, went the cheaper route, funds were a lot more restrictive for me way back then, and I had some of these same problems, but over time, I have converted to a quality scope on every gun, and the end results is great.

Good bases and good rings along with fit/finish/alignment is one of "my" main points nowadays. I can almost always take a so called "cheap" rifle, put on decent optics and make the cheap rifle shoot better, (with a good cleaning) with good quality ammo. Your main objective is to have a rifle that you shoot, hit what you aim at, where you aim at and put up for the remainder of the year, shoot a couple confirming rounds before next season starts and go again. And if you constantly have to by ammo to re-zero or replace the scope, how long will it take to offset the cost of going with a quality scope the first time?

I will not slam any quality scope brand out there, because we all have our "pets" but you have been given some quality info from many folks on the choices available.

Good luck!
Old March 4, 2010, 04:14 PM   #34
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
The bitterness of poor quality will always outlast the sweetness of low price !! Buy the best you can afford , not the cheapest you can find !
Old March 4, 2010, 06:39 PM   #35
James R. Burke

There correct you need better mounts and optics to hold up. You dont need to spend a arm and a leg, but something with alittle more quality.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:49 PM   #36
slab11

how many people have actually had scopes break?

I have had probably 15 scopes, from tasco, simmons, millett, leupold, zeiss. I have had all of the simmons fog internally (you have to look hard but you can see it). the tascos just simply have terrible optics when comparing to leup and zeiss. Out of all of these, i have never had ANY of the scopes actually BREAK. Most were/are mounted on deer caliber rifles, including up to 7mag. Seems like it is pretty rare to break one unless mounted wrong or maybe gun malfunction?? What does everyone else's experience tell them?
Old May 3, 2010, 10:28 PM   #37
DnPRK

I've had one where an internal lens came loose, one that would not hold zero for beans, one where a spacer came loose and would rattle around inside blocking the sight picture, one with a strange cloudy film on the inside of the objective lens (fixed under warranty by Leupold), and one where the power adjustment flopped around (fixed under warranty by Swarovski).

Tags
savage , scope , stevens , stock