The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2001, 07:00 PM   #1
KO5A

Ideas on best deer-hunting shotgun?

I guess Winchester 1300 NWTF BUCK AND TOM is going to do it.
Is there anything better?

This one's got:

cammo pattern
"trueglo?"sights
drilled for scope mount

Says here it takes 3" magnum.
This has got to be decided for July 9 "international-firearm-purchase-day."

Ooouch 499.00
I don't need something for Turker as well,
wish there were something simpler, and cheaper?
Old July 7, 2001, 11:21 PM   #2
MiniZ

I am posting strictly on an idea, not as any type of expert(we can hunt deer with rifles here in UT).

IF you don't need cammo, and IF you don't need a drilled and tapped receiver, I think you can probably find an 870 or a Mossberg 500 or 835 for alot less than 499.00, and add a side saddle style scope mount if you plan on scoping the shtogun. Otherwise, 499.0 is probably about right for the features offered.

Once again, I am not offering this advice under the pretense of being an expert, it is just a thought that popped into my mind.

Zane
Old July 8, 2001, 07:00 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Here in the sunny south, I've used SGs with both slugs (required) and buckshot. Not a tremendous amount of experiance, mainly a rifle hunter. Killed or field dressed maybe 20/25 deer, mostly 90 to 140 lbs. field dressed.

Key here is what you have to (or want to) use (buck or slug) and the terrain. For the very thick heavy stuff (SC low country swamps/cane thickets) my 1100 with buck gets the nod. For open areas where slugs are required (Ft. Benning comes to mind) something with sights is the ticket. If your hunting in a mixed area (southern Indiana), the specialized slug guns would be worth the money.

While one of my HD guns is a 1300 Defender, I would probably buy a 870 Express with a barrel set up for my choice of ammo. If buckshot was the ammo, I do like the fast second shot an auto gives.

HTH

Giz
Old July 8, 2001, 07:11 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's lots of good slug guns out there, I prefer 870s, of course.The two here have accounted for maybe 20 deer. Used 870s can be had, some with rifle sighted slug bbls, for way less than $500.

Of far greater import than the name on the receiver is durability,reliability, and the things that really make the shotgun work. These include sights that work for you,a decent trigger, and good fit and form. Enough weight to cut the felt recoil is a prerequisite.