The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
outlawzrider83

just came home from gun show!!!!

well people are definatley losing their minds in west virginia!! feg ak's for 1100.00 -1800.00 ..used glocks with crap loads of holster wear priced at 550.00, while at the same time im carrying my two week old xdm 4.5 45acp and this dude walks up and says" ill make you a fair offer on your xd" i was like well not really wanting to sell it but shoot. he says "375!"

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 6, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old January 6, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Yep, trust me I know what you mean. I had a customer at my local gun store tell me he would give me a whopping $1200 for my HK MR556 ( which was Unfired). I laughed and said, yep I bet you would. He swore that before all this panic, he was buying the HK for just under a $1000. I assured him I would buy everyone he could find at $2400. I wonder where these people come up with this...lol.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 6, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

I haven't been to a show lately, but I remember going to Wanamacher in '08. I'd never seen anything like it.

Panic is a strange thing.

But to the OP. That dealer is just looking to make money, and he's looking for a sucker to enable him to do that. It's just business. Don't take it personally.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Just got home from a OGCA show. People there had all herd that AR 15s were bringing huge prices so they all brought a AR or five to sell. The closest price I saw to reasonable was a newish Colt HBar for 1400. I saw some home built crap with $2000+ price tags too. Nobody was buying them, just bringing them in thinking that there would be someone looking to pay $400 for a stripped no name lower.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Deaf Smith

Most of the people buying these $2000 ARs and $1000 AKs are people who own maybe a shotgun or deer rifle and are afraid Obama might ban guns like Clinton did (or worse.)

Savvy shooters already have theirs.

Deaf
Old January 6, 2013, 06:10 PM   #6
JustinBiscuit

For whatever reason people who are selling (or trying to sell) assault rifles for more then their worth just **** me off. I have 10+ weapons that may be banned and I would never sell, register, or give away.

Normally Armslist.com is bad but now its a whole new level. Actual conversation --> "I paid $500.00 for this pistol 3 years ago, neglected it and now want 750. Yes, I know that you can get a new one for $450, however this one is no questions asked!"

At the end of the day I'm a gun guy....Money will always be there.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:18 PM   #7
9mm

Quote:
*** these people have fell and hit their heads on stupid rocks lol
LOL...... Yeah I went to gunbroker the other day and AK's like $1000, all shops here have no "evil guns".
Old January 6, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
psychohellbilly666

It's like I tell friends and family new to guns when they ask what they should do regarding mags and ammo. If you find a good deal buy it. If not move on. The prices will settle again. It happened to ammo when Obama first took office. I simply check out wal marts, rural kings and dicks sporting goods for ammo when I'm close to one. I've quit looking for it at gun shops and gander mountain. $50 for 9mm wwb 100 packs have made sure of that. Luckily don't have to deal with the overpriced ARs as there's none being sold locally.
I do question why in the hell 22lr ammo has been picked clean though.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Koda

I'm halfway decent on most of my stuff, mags for everything except one pistol. Decent ammo of ammo too. But, yes, the stuff has hit the propeller, and that's fine. Panic buying means that people are going to be invested in guns, literally, and people always vote their pocketbook. This liberal baloney will end someday.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
RUT

I gave up on gun shows long ago. No bargains to be had, especially now!
Old January 6, 2013, 07:47 PM   #11
9mm

Quote:
I found in the past lcr-357 for $370, and lcr-22 for $350 other places $400+
Old January 6, 2013, 08:05 PM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
while at the same time im carrying my two week old xdm 4.5 45acp and this dude walks up and says" ill make you a fair offer on your xd" i was like well not really wanting to sell it
I have to ask, if you weren't "really wanting to sell it", why were you carrying it in the first place? Gun shows are what they are. People make offers and it's a simple matter to decline if the offer is out of line in your estimation. I've bought and sold more than a few guns over the past several decades at gun shows and will continue to do so. But I'm not put off by people wanting a "deal". That's why many attend-and there are some (deals) to be had if you excercise a little patience and use your head.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:17 PM   #13
psychohellbilly666

I think some forget what a gun show really is. It isn't a guarantee you are going to get a deal. It's not a guarantee to get rich on something you're selling.
It is a gathering of like minded folks. A greater gathering than a gun shop or classifieds.
Old January 6, 2013, 09:28 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

If Obama has his way, they will all go in the melting pot. If you belileved that business about not taking your sporting weapons, you were a real idjit, because the campaign is already on to ban "military style sniper rifles, good only for killing innocent children at three miles". That is Joe Biden's description of a bolt action hunting rifle with scope.

Jim
Old January 6, 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Mobuck

I went to a gun show Saturday with a couple of AR carbines to sell. Ended up making a decent trade on one but should have cut my price and sold the other rather than holding ground and bringing it home. The folks who really wanted to buy an AR didn't have the cash and the guys with "logo ego" were trying to buy a high dollar AR for cheap.
I won't starve or go bankrupt holding onto these rifles and they'll always be worth more than I've got invested.
I was in a Sportsmans' Warehouse today while they sold the last AR in stock with 10 or so buyers left standing. Again, no one had cash-only credit cards.
We hit the 3 big name sporting goods stores in a large midwest city and there were no AR's left on any shelves. Ammo was hit and miss but very little 223 anywhere.
At this point, you either have a magazine fed semi auto rifle or you'll pay what the seller asks or do w/o.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Nanuk

Went to the gun show here today, it was insane. People were selling AR's for $1800 and AK's for $1200. Not a Glock in the place, two dealers wanted to buy mine one offered my $400 and the other $250 and I actually laughed in his face..... Then they turn around and jack the price on everything up. There were no cheap guns left either. It is like people are buying everything. Glock mags were $40-$50.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 6, 2013, 10:51 PM   #17
outlawzrider83

i was carrying it because it was my carry gun at the time. i was open carrying, i might have traded it if the right deal came along but stupidity isnt the way to deal.i mean i didnt go to his table and say omg that g23 is in aweful shape ill give ya 250.00
Old January 7, 2013, 11:58 AM   #18
dgludwig

That's interesting to me, outlawzrider83. I've attended literally hundreds of gun shows in more than a couple of states and I've never been to one that would allow a loaded gun to be on the premises (I assume your gun was loaded if you were "open carrying" and it was your "carry gun at the time"). But then, I've never attended a show in W.V.-and doubt that I ever will if, in fact, shows there permit attendees to tote loaded guns around.
Of course, if your "carry gun" was unloaded while at the show, I can only surmise that you did "really want to sell it..." Why else would you be carrying it?

Last edited by dgludwig; January 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Mr_Jumper

Agreed with dgludwig, haven't been to a gun show where attendees were allowed to carry their EDC (loaded or otherwise).

I have not owned a firearm back in '08, but I did hear about the craziness back then. Seems like it's lot worse with this one (in terms of people panic), but I believe it'll blow over and things will settle down to normal levels, hopefully sooner than later.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:52 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Agreed, they're insulting to. How they low ball you like you were born yesterday. Really? $150 for my High-power? Get out...And yes, prices are ridiculous as can be, especially now.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:23 PM   #21
outlawzrider83

dude , it had to be unloaded but im not leaving it in my vehicle. its beckley w.v. you dont leave valuables in cars here when theres pill heads running rampid. and i should have stated that maybe i was lookin to trade .,or sell given a fair price....im sayin some people think their stuff is worth a gold mine and yours is dirt. it &!$$@$ me off. and should any "gun person".
Old January 7, 2013, 10:31 PM   #22
psychohellbilly666

Shows in Indiana will allow you to carry whatever as long as its unloaded and zip tied. I personally take my carry gun in with me as ( has already been said ) its safer than leaving it in the car.
Although its not the best place to sell something except to an individual some dealers at shows are flat out insulting. The idea that they fell like they are untitled to a profit on your gun as well as the gun they are selling is absurd.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:33 PM   #23
TennJed

Quote:
....im sayin some people think their stuff is worth a gold mine and yours is dirt. it &!$$@$ me off. and should any "gun person".
If that makes you that mad what you do when something that is actually bad happens? Trying to sell something for too much or offering to buy something too low is really not a big deal. Say no thanks and move along

I am a "gun person" and I try to concern myself with more important matters
Old January 7, 2013, 10:41 PM   #24
outlawzrider83

well tennjedd, some insulting remark is pretty bad...making an offer like that on a like new gun is almost like someone grabbing your wifes butt, to me..what happened to common curtisey in the good ol usa, im 29yo and have more respect than most 50yo around here...but then again like i said i was in beckley too..im not from that part of the state and try to avoid it....this post is actually about peoples morals and manners , also the panic induced stampede of the sheeple now days more than my .45
Old January 8, 2013, 09:47 AM   #25
spanishjames

Quote:
making an offer like that on a like new gun is almost like someone grabbing your wifes butt, to me
I understand both scenarios would bother you, but think of it this way.
One is personal, the other is business.