The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Remington 870 Police Magnum (department trade in) Review

Remington 870s have been around since the 1940s and over 10 million have been sold since for a reason----they work. I picked up the police trade in gun reviewed today about a year ago for under $300 (should have bought 5 at that price!); it's the 20'' 7+1 model with rifle sights. It was beat up on the outside but looked like it had been shot very, very little. I put on a set of my favorite furniture (Magpul), polished up the chamber with some steel wool, and got to running rounds through it. Quick summary of the pros and cons below:

Pros:
-100% reliable with all loads I've put through it from low brass Walmart ammo to full power 3'' slugs/buckshot
-Parkerized finish
-Tons of aftermarket support
-I'm a fan of the rifle sights
-Combat proven shotgun
-Comes with the forged extractor and heavy carrier dog spring that many Express model users end up installing anyway
-7+1 capacity on this model
-Handles & points very well
-Spare parts are available at pretty much every gun shop in the country should you ever need them

Cons:
-14'' factory LOP. I'm 6'0'' and I prefer a shorter (around 12'') LOP. Most people I know do as well
-The rear sight is somewhat odd. The notch is a little tight and a peep sight would likely be both faster and more accurate. I know they have models with Wilson rings on the receiver but just replacing the rear sight with a peep would still help out with quick acquisition

Here's a review video with some shooting and a discussion of the gun's properties:

870 HD Video Review Link

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; November 3, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
youngunz4life

I was determined to get a remington 870 police magnum when I bought my shotgun(obviously not determined enough), but I had trouble finding it andor the money was high so i opted for the mossberg 500.

ps- thx for the original post
Old November 3, 2012, 09:57 PM   #3
jmortimer

"...under $300 (should have bought 5 at that price!); it's the 20'' 7+1 model with rifle sights."
Yes you should have. As good as a pump action is going to get.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:08 AM   #4
SOUTHERN WOODS

Good guns.

The only dislike I have would be the rifle sights and the rear sight. No need for them in my opinion. A standard bead sight up front is enough for the range and distance of use if this is going to be a combat type shotgun.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:23 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

I understand that the thing to watch for with the police trade ins is that the department armorers often salvage the best parts from the guns to be traded in. Buds had a good rep for the trade in police models they sold, but nothing beats seeing the guns and inspecting them. We had a local department (Anaheim the home of Disneyland) auction off 20 some and I wish I had the time to get up there to inspect them.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Yes you should have. As good as a pump action is going to get.
I know I ordered it, then went back to order a few more the next day and they were sold out

Quote:
I understand that the thing to watch for with the police trade ins is that the department armorers often salvage the best parts from the guns to be traded in
Good point right there. This one looked like it hadn't had 500 rounds through it once I broke it down. The finish is kind of beat up but I'd rather have a rough exterior and good interior than the other way around.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7
jmortimer

AIP Tactical rightly points out that the 870s have an indefinite lifespan if properly maintained. Until you get north of 30k rounds I would not be concerned.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

Agreed. J.D. knows what he's talking about when it comes to Remington shotguns.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Xfire68

Saw one at Cabelas yesterday and the price was $599!
Old November 4, 2012, 04:13 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

One thing JD suggests if you can't budget for a Police is getting a the Express security model and later sending it to him to be parkerized and have a few internal parts upgraded. As I recall, those internal parts cost very little. Actually, and I may be wrong, but I think his builds all start as Express 870's. Of course, it isn't an official "police", eve if it is better than one.

http://aiptactical.com/Refinishing_Service.php
Old November 4, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

I've swapped all the extractors and carrier dog springs in my Express guns. Outside of the chamber issues, I think they're the only parts that really make any difference in performance.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:07 PM   #12
LSnSC

Take a chain saw file and open up the rear notch and replace the front blade with a F/O model. I did that on an 1100 with the same sight set up. Night and day difference.
Also, Midway has the Competition Master Remington 8 shot extension tube for sale. It fits the nut and barrel band already on your gun. I did that for the 870 I use for 3 gun.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Noreaster

Peep sights are ok on combat shotguns but I prefer Williams Fire Sights. Nothing faster at shotgun ranges IMHO. Don't know if you can swap them out but I have a set on my Mossy and they are awesome. My Dept. has 870 police mags and we also find the lOP to long.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:14 PM   #14
drail

Yup, those stocks had to be designed for a knuckle dragger. (or a bass player) But what a gun.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Take a chain saw file and open up the rear notch and replace the front blade with a F/O model. I did that on an 1100 with the same sight set up. Night and day difference.
Also, Midway has the Competition Master Remington 8 shot extension tube for sale. It fits the nut and barrel band already on your gun. I did that for the 870 I use for 3 gun.
I'll be filing the rear sight for sure but I'll likely throw an XS night sight (not the big dot type, regular size) up front (I have one on one of my Express guns and am very happy with it.

That extension will be going on this gun---thanks for that
Old November 6, 2012, 07:54 AM   #16
vba

Plouff, where did you get the shorter butt stock? Agree, the LOP is too long for me as well. Does the company (magpul?) make that model in black?
Old November 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Plouff, where did you get the shorter butt stock? Agree, the LOP is too long for me as well. Does the company (magpul?) make that model in black?

They sure do. I got mine at Brownells but they're availibe at most online shops.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:40 AM   #18
vba

Thanks Plouff!
Old November 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #19
RMcL

I find that opening the rear sight to a wider square notch and installing a square post front sight works wonders for speed of aquisition and gives a positive index of elevation.

Tags