The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 18, 2011, 01:15 PM   #1
308Gunner

AR-15 Flip Up Sights

I'm more or less curious why flip-up sights gets such a bad reputation? I've talked to a bunch of AR-15 owners and ex-military who have used them, and it seems like a 60/40 split against flip-ups. They seem to have become a common thing, so apparently there's enough of a majority out there that likes them. I, personally, have not gotten a chance to use them. I am planning on getting a rear flip for an AR I'd like to build hopefully early next year. Just wondering why there seems to be such a love-it-or-hate-it attitude with them

— George Mason
Old August 18, 2011, 01:39 PM   #2
NWPilgrim

Never heard anything bad about them in general. If you have optics (most anyway) you need flip ups as the fixed rear sight will not allow the optic to be mounted or at least not optimally.

Troy makes rock solid rear flip-ups that are the benchmark standard. Many others make solid ones as well. I also have an inexpensive Magpul rear flip-up sight that has been great.

I think most people would prefer fixed if no optics used or the mounting of the optic allowed for it. But if you need flip-up rear sights there are several excellent quality options.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old August 18, 2011, 03:51 PM   #3
B. Lahey

I have some Troys (not on my AR, though, on my funky MSAR bullpup with an ACOG). They work great, no complaints.

What is it about them that people don't like? Can't say I've heard any of this scuttlebutt you speak of...
Old August 18, 2011, 05:13 PM   #4
308Gunner

Quote:
What is it about them that people don't like? Can't say I've heard any of this scuttlebutt you speak of...
A couple of my buddies who are ex-Army and another few who are cops all swear up and down they don't like flip-ups. Maybe it's just a case of 'I don't like change,' because they all prefer the carry handle with a handle-mounted scope I dunno, I guess it's nice to know that there's nothing wrong with flip-ups then, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I go out and get a set in the future

— George Mason
Old August 18, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Microgunner

I own a set of Troy folding battle sights and they're top notch.
I also own a set of Ncstar folding sights and they're complete junk.
You get what you pay for, as the saying goes.
Old August 18, 2011, 07:02 PM   #6
rjrivero

BUIS.

I prefer a solid front site. Even if using an Aimpoint or Eotech, if the Murphy's law bites you, and you're optic goes down, you can Halo the window around the front post in close quarters and still hit center(ish) of mass. At longer ranges you can throw down cover fire enough to work your way to cover and pop up your rear site, and put you effectively back in the fight.

Of course this was the Dogma of my senior officers. It made sense to me then, and it still makes sense to me now.

Popping up a front sight isn't something that takes a "lot of time" but when you're in it, time becomes relative. That quick reach off your front hand to the button to pop up your front site can seem like it takes FOREVER, if you have to do it at the absolute WRONG time.

To each his own.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:04 AM   #7
hja4941

As a general rule I prefer a fixed BUIS when using a red dot or eotech. I use a fixed front A post with a DD A1.5 rear and have them co witnessed. That way if your electronic sight fails you are still on with the irons at all times.

With magnified optics I still use the front fixed A post, but a rear folding BUIS is called for. In this case you have to use a high quality rear which locks up and has no movement, and is durable. I prefer the Troy battle sight. The new Colt sight issued on military guns is not very durable and overly complicated. And I have not found the Magpull to be durable enough for my use.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Skadoosh

For awhile I used a fixed BUIS in conjunction with an EoTech 512. But because the EoTech's reticle will stay aligned no matter if your head and cheekweld shifts slightly on stock, it was just getting in the way. Which meant slower sight alignment for fast "snap" shots. I tossed my fixed BUIS for a fold-down BUIS and am no longer hampered in my sight alignment by the BUIS getting in the way.