The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 6, 2011, 08:37 AM   #1
guitars and guns

Kahr CW9 Fail to Feed

At the range on Saturday, my CW9 had a fail to feed. The ole tap and rack took care of it but I noticed as I racked it, it had not fed. This is the first failure it has had since the first 200 round break in period. It has about 1000 rounds through it already.

I'm guessing that 1 failure after break in is still good considering it has had approx 800 rounds since. This gun will be my main CCW so I am hoping this will be an isolated incident.

After the tap and rack fix, I proceeded to fire another 100 or so rounds without any failures. I just want to be able to have full faith in my CCW. Should I be concerned or just brush it off since it doesn't seem to be the norm with this pistol?

edit: I was using Federal FMJ from wally world. Haven't had any failures with the Federal JHP that I will be using for carry.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:48 AM   #2
hulley

I wouldnt be concerned with one FTF in 1000, especially with cheap ammo. I'm hoping to get a P9 soon and that wouldnt bother me abit.
Old June 6, 2011, 09:34 AM   #3
catnphx

My CW9 is humming smoothly now after a couple of FTE/FTF issues during the first 200 rounds. With 700-800 rounds through the gun now, I've only had one issue since and that was one FTF of the Golden Saber 124gr +P, which can be an issue for some in my reading at Kahrtalk. My Gold Dots work well and I'll be trying Federal HST this next weekend too.

The Federal stuff from Wally is very good range ammo. I wouldn't be too worried unless it continues to happen. I've started to carry my CW9 on a regular basis now and feel good about it's realibility with the Gold Dots.

By the way, are you using the slide release lever to feed the 1st round?
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old June 6, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
guitars and guns

Yeah, I usually use the slide release to feed the first one. Is it better to hand rack with this pistol?
Old June 6, 2011, 09:46 AM   #5
catnphx

They say use the lever, which feels weird at first since most/all of us usually use the sling shot or some other method involving the slide release. I've gotten pretty good using the lever now so I've gotten used to it.

I must say, compared to my other guns, they recommend using a lot of oil on the CW9. So much that I actually feel uncomfortable using that much. This gun needs to be clean after each session too (I'm assuming you do) but it gets dirtier than most of my other guns because of all the oil they recommend you put on it after cleaning.

Love the gun though.
Old June 6, 2011, 09:51 AM   #6
guitars and guns

Yep, I clean it after every range trip. I have noticed it gets pretty dirty too.

I love the gun as well. I am also more accurate with it than with my Sig P250 .40/357sig, but I have owned and shot the CW9 for longer and am still getting used to the P250.
Old June 6, 2011, 10:01 AM   #7
catnphx

The trigger pull is certainly long, much like my .357 revolver. It took a little getting used to but it works well for me and I've actually gotten very accurate with it; my double/triple taps can be done quickly and accurately.

The recoil is very reasonable and the gun hides away nicely with my IWB holster at about 4:30. If I know I'll be sitting for some time (like at the movies) then I'll move it to 3:30 so that the grip doesn't jab me in the back. With a thin t-shirt, nobody can see the gun, which is very cool. I also carry an extra mag too.
Old June 6, 2011, 10:17 AM   #8
guitars and guns

Long but certainly very smooth. I have learned to start the next pull on the way down from the recoil so when I get back on target, the pull is short. I have become pretty damn accurate with it. I am still trying to get the hang of double taps with a DAO, but I am getting closer each time I go to the range.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:28 AM   #9
Eagle0711

If it were me one out of 800 rounds wouldn't bother me. I'd carry it. You always have the one in the chamber for sure, so make that one a good shot.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:22 PM   #10
KyJim

After a thousand rounds, it may be time for a new recoil spring. They need to be replaced pretty often in short barreled guns.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:34 PM   #11
catnphx

Quote:
After a thousand rounds, it may be time for a new recoil spring. They need to be replaced pretty often in short barreled guns.
Really? That's the first I've heard of that. A thousand seems pretty quick to me. If that is the case, several of my guns are due but I've had no problems.
Old June 6, 2011, 09:57 PM   #12
LukeA

I polished the feed ramp on mine shortly after getting it. I haven't had something like that happen to me in at least 1000 rounds.
Old June 6, 2011, 10:02 PM   #13
catnphx

Quote:
I just posted the question of 1,000 rounds needing a new recoil spring over at Kahrtalk and they state that Kahr actually recommends this. A couple of folks (one being a moderator who stated 1200-1500) stated 800-1500 rounds is what Kahr recommends. Yes it's a wide range but my point is that it appears that Kahr supports this statement. The guy that stated 800 rounds said if the gun is being used for SD purposes ... the whole realibility thing I suppose.

I wouldn't go out and start replacing springs unless you start getting regular issues (I don't think 1 in 800 rounds is sufficient evidence of an issue) but something to keep an eye on. It might be worth orderomg a spring replacements just in case the issue continues. Again, I'm over 2,000 rounds in each of my M&P's and they are doing fine but nothing lasts forever.
Old June 6, 2011, 10:36 PM   #14
guitars and guns

Seeing that a recoil spring is only about $8 and I AM using this gun as my CCW, I will go ahead and replace every 1000 rounds or so.
Old June 6, 2011, 10:58 PM   #15
catnphx

Sorry, forget to add the link to the discussion over there. 1,000 rounds seems too soon to me but for $8 and considering it's your (and one of mine) CCW then it's probably not a bad idea.

Kahrtalk Discussion on Changing Recoil Spring
Old June 7, 2011, 07:09 AM   #16
PSP

First; I agree that the recoil spring may need replacing and replacement after 1000 rounds or so is prudent, especialliy if you carry the gun.

However; one FTF in 800 isn't a huge concern. Could be a fluke, but it could be a symptom.
Old June 7, 2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Squibb

Personally, any misfire in my ccw would cause me concern. I'd be all over that thing trying to figure it out. I would not be comfortable otherwise, as it takes only one misfire. I've learned that sometimes you only get one shot.

Do all of the paranoia jokes you want, it would be out of rotation, completely disassembled and cleaned, and then I would be looking at the ammunition. Finally, it would have to cycle a couple of hundred rounds perfectly before I would consider carrying it again.

Kahrs do like to run wet, even to the point of using oil rather than grease. And, if I'm carrying my CW9 I make sure it is lubed properly before it goes into the holster.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:25 AM   #18
guitars and guns

Just ordered a replacement recoil spring from Kahr. $8.80 + $5.65 for priority USPS shipping.

Definitely will be doing this every 1000-1200 rounds. A small price to ensure my CCW is in proper order.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:40 AM   #19
guitars and guns

From the Kahr Forum:

Quote:
Some suggest to buy a new spring kit and set it aside after testing it for functionality - use the new one for self defense and the 'old' one for the range.
This is a good idea. I will be doing this with the recoil spring. Keep the old for range and after testing the new one, use it for carry. It takes all of two minutes to change it out so why not?
Old June 7, 2011, 01:20 PM   #20
catnphx

Yes, I saw that too, G&G, but it seemed like a pain in the butt. Just make sure the new spring gets a little bit of a workout at the range so that you know IT is reliable too.
Old June 7, 2011, 01:23 PM   #21
guitars and guns

Yeah, I will put a couple hundred rounds through it to make sure of that.

I love excuses to go to the range.