The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 18, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1
microman

Update: on new shooter :)

Well, my girlfriend and I finally got around to going
to the indoor range here. It was her first time shooting
a firearm.

I asked her before we left which one of my guns we should
try and she choose the RIA 1911

We purchased some Tula .45 ammo at Walmart, that ran out
pretty fast and we ended up buying some more ammo at the
range "expensive" but well worth it.

She held tight groups at the 7 yard line and we worked on
basics.. like breathing and sight picture etc. She loved it!

Next time we will go for shooting at longer distances. Just
want her to get comfortable. She wants to bring her sister
next time. So, I think I just introduced someone to a who
new World here
Old June 18, 2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Mr.Blue

Tight groups using a .45acp at her first ever shooting session? You've found yourself a keeper!
Old June 18, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Smaug

It's great to have an open-minded woman like that, eh?

Winning them over to our side, to show them the reality of guns and shooting (vs. the media and TV version) can really be an eye-opener.

Whenever someone comes with me to my local range, and they see how safely it is run, I am beaming with pride. There are lots of wives there. Just today, there was a mother and she had brought her probably 8 year old kid. He was shooting 22 at 100 yards; she was supervising.

I just wish there were more people like her in urban areas.

My wife comes shooting with me sometimes, maybe a few times per year. She is a good shot, and always enjoys herself, but she is not willing to give up things like manicures and facials, so the frequency of her visits is low.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old June 18, 2011, 10:23 PM   #4
9mm

Quote:
She held tight groups at the 7 yard line and we worked on
basics..
I wish I could do that, it seams like all my firearms the sights are off or I am a idiot, because I do much better with rifles.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:28 PM   #5
4runnerman

Congrats microman.You have a keeper as stated earlier.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:31 PM   #6
9mm

How do you like your 1911 RIA? I have heard nothing but A+ reviews from almost everyone who owns one. I heard its the best 1911 on the market for the cheapest price.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:00 PM   #7
shaunpain

I would also like to know what you think of your RIA. I am in the market soon for my first 1911 (I know, I don't wanna hear it!) and I'm looking at something inexpensive but rugged like the RIA, but also considering a Ballester Molina.

Either way, kudos to you and your girl! I have been finding lately that when gently introduced to the intrigue that is firearm obsession, lots of people are way more open to it if they trust you. I've turned many "scaredy cats" into maybe not rabid fans, but intensely curious.

In gun hating Chicago, they are very intriguing to people that were never raised with them around (except in the hands of LE and 15 year old sticker-uppers).
Old June 19, 2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Amin Parker

Well i think its time to buy a Ruger 22 now.

My wife went from anti to official gun nut very very quickly. Be prepared to start spending on ammo and have bleeding thumbs from loading magazines. Lol

My wife and two sisters easily out shoot almost everyone at the practice range. They were gonna start officially taking part in competitions when both my wife and two sisters fell pregnant within months of each other. Their husbands are not too fond of guns.

Well, my youngest sister is tiny. Probably weighs 45 kilos at most and she only wants to shoot 45acp, 357 and bigger. She always has a 1911 with her. When she visits, she will open my safe, drop her gun in there and take another 1911 and politely ask me to clean and service her old one. I get a huge kick out of it lol.

My other sister loves compact pistols and when my Glock 19, cz 75 compact etc go missing, you can probably find them at her place.

When the girls shoot, they basically try and empty the gun through a single hole. They get pretty mad when they have flyers. You guys gotta see this.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:04 PM   #9
shaunpain

I swear, based on scientific evidence alone, women with guns could be a hundred times more deadly than any army of men! The ability to use more faculties of the brain alone probably make them better and faster shots.
Old June 20, 2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunpain
I swear, based on scientific evidence alone, women with guns could be a hundred times more deadly than any army of men! The ability to use more faculties of the brain alone probably make them better and faster shots.
I'm not so sure about that. Being deadly is usually in a high pressure situation. Talking about women target shooting is one thing. But a scared woman is probably no better than a scared man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin Parker
When the girls shoot, they basically try and empty the gun through a single hole. They get pretty mad when they have flyers. You guys gotta see this.
Show us then!

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old June 20, 2011, 05:58 PM   #11
MLeake

Smaug, when they were my age, for example, I'd have been much happier with the gun in my mother's hand than in my father's.

They are comparable shots, as neither practices all that often. He works more at it, she's more of a natural. Big difference, though: He might hesitate. She's Sicilian.

My grandmother (maternal) would have been formidable, too.

My great-aunt didn't even need a gun. 4'10", and she could make large men veer off just by staring at them. (Nickname: Laser Eyes)
Old June 20, 2011, 05:59 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. Being deadly is usually in a high pressure situation. Talking about women target shooting is one thing. But a scared woman is probably no better than a scared man.
Aye, but an angry woman, on the other hand ....... "Hell hath no fury....."
Old June 20, 2011, 06:01 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
I asked her before we left which one of my guns we should
try and she choose the RIA 1911
There was a problem with bringing an assortment? Women like lots of choices ..... just sayin'.
Old June 20, 2011, 07:31 PM   #14
microman

Quote:
How do you like your 1911 RIA?
Haven't had it very long..about a years time but, I really
enjoy it. I have nothing but, good things to say about it.

I always wanted a 1911 style gun but, needed something
a little more in my price range. The RIA met this need