The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 6, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
KLRANGL

Mosin Nagant slings you get in the "accessory packs"

So I got my first Mosin at the gun show over the weekend. I tell you what, I am much more impressed with these things than I thought I would be. I figured it would pale in comparison to my Mauser, but it really hasn't. Not yet anyway, but I haven't shot it yet.

Anyway, I bought the accessory pack along with it, with the sling, ammo pouch, and cleaning/takedown tools.
Pretty much exactly what cheaperthandirt had: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MGR330-1.html

I asked him if the sling was original or reproduction, and he said original. He also said the rifle I was buying was a Tula, though I knew it wasn't. Well I didn't really care at the time, so I bought the accessory pack anyway, but I got kind of curious as to when the sling was made, and who it was made for... It seems kind of new-ish. Not faded or worn, but definitely old school build style.
So are these packs repros or milsurp, and if milsurp, what era?

Gracia
Old October 6, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2
M4Sherman

it is probably original since most of the Mosin junk has never been used
Old October 6, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
pesta2

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Russ...blocslings.asp
Old October 6, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
KLRANGL

Great link Pesta. From what I can tell, the sling sold in this accessory kits is a wartime substitute cloth sling. But whether it is legit or not, I cannot say.

I have found that the ammo pouch is a Soviet post WWII type...
Old October 6, 2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Tom2

Could be they are production over runs from the war era or they could have been made during the 50's or whenever they rebuilt the guns. Another good site is www.7.62x54r.net, but if you have Yahoo home page, they try to block you going there for some reason. I suppose maybe there is a specific indicator like color of the sling if it is not dated(guessing) or some other detail but if there is no date on the sling(if they are dated) all you can say is that it is an authentic Soviet sling for the MN. I treat the dried looking leather parts on them to soften the leather and prevent cracking. And it looks better.
Old October 6, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
carguychris

FWIW based on what I've read, the slings and ammo pouches included in the CAI accessory kits are in fact original Soviet items, but they're mostly postwar-era and were never issued.

The Soviets relegated the Mosin-Nagant to reserve duty after WWII upon adoption of the SKS and later the AK-47 as their standard service rifle. Most 91/30s sold recently by milsurp importers were refurbished for reserve duty during the 40s and early 50s, and the accessories mostly date from this same period.

Some of you may be wondering why the Soviets would go to the trouble of making tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of accessory sets for rifles that would probably never be used. A single word is adequate to explain the reason: Communism.
Old October 6, 2009, 05:06 PM   #7
KLRANGL

Quote:
accessory kits are in fact original Soviet items, but they're mostly postwar-era and were never issued.
That seems to be the prevailing notion... I think I'll stick with that explanation until proven otherwise. Thanks guys...
Old October 7, 2009, 09:45 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
it is probably original since most of the Mosin junk has never been used
Junk? Are you referring to the rifles themselves or the accessories?

If you are talking about the rifles, it's pretty hard to categorize a rifle design that has been in service for almost 120 years, seen two world wars, the Korean conflict and Vietnam as "junk." Maybe they don't seem "graceful" to you, but they sure are rugged.
Old October 7, 2009, 11:23 AM   #9
M4Sherman

when I say junk I mean stuff....I own 3 rifles and 2 accessory packs
Old October 7, 2009, 01:21 PM   #10
gyvel

Oops. Got it.
Old October 7, 2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Chipperman

They have so much of that stuff lying around, it would not be worth making repro slings right now.
Old October 7, 2009, 02:51 PM   #12
pesta2

At www.7.62x54r.net if you have any questions just send that guy an email. He is friendly and happy to answers. I had a Mosin that was just not adding up to what was on it. Here we found out it was captured by the Finland troops and retrofitted for their needs.