The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2000, 05:39 PM   #1
Rod WMG

A few weeks ago, someone here mentioned getting his wife to join him in deer hunting. I said mine never would and had no interest. She had hunted a few squirrels and rabbits, but never shot a centerfire gun. But, when we got to deer camp this year, she saw the overpopulation conditions, coupled with a severe drought and decided to have a go. (She'd said, "NO," when I asked her just before we left if she were going to hunt.)

She got her brother's gun out of storage (he lives out of state) and I coached her in how to use it and where to aim. After a couple of shots to verify zero, she was ready.

She got 3 does her first day! And completed her license a few days later with a broken-horned buck. Four shots; four deer! I asked her what she'd do for an encore?

She was very pleased and proud and I'm very happy for her. We have a new hunter in our ranks.
Old January 7, 2000, 06:12 PM   #2
Long Path

Congrats! Where in the world do you live, where a license comes with 3 doe tags? In highly-overpopulated areas of S. Central TX, you can get a 3rd tag from Parks and Wildlife for $10, but that's rather new and unusual...

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old January 7, 2000, 07:45 PM   #3
LoneStar

I believe in Texas, you have 4 whitetail tags. 2 Anterless only, and 2 Buck or Antlerless. I had a good season, so don't have any tags left to verify for sure (2 does, a 9 point, and a freak 6 point )
Some counties differ.
Old January 7, 2000, 10:32 PM   #4
Rod WMG

Thanks, Long Path. Lone Star is correct. The regs for Mason County, Tx, where we hunted, state: "Bag limit for all [whitetail] seasons combined: 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks." Texas has various regulations for the various counties and they are listed in the "Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual" in alphabetical order.

On the license, the tags for whitetail are: 1 for buck, 1 for either buck or antlerless, and 2 anterless.

[This message has been edited by Rod WMG (edited January 07, 2000).]
Old January 10, 2000, 08:51 AM   #5
Long Path

You're almost right, guys, but not quite:

Texas has quite a few "five deer counties," in that they allow 3 bucks and 2 doe. I just finished last Sunday in such a county (Uvalde, though I was N. of Hwy 90, where it's only 4 deer). My hunting license had tags for two antlerless whitetail (used)(#5, #6), and then has a tag for whitetail buck in "1 or 3 Buck Co. or antlerless in 5 Buck Co." (#7), "Whitetail buck valid in 2 or 3 buck Co. or antlerless except in 2 antlerless Co" (#8), "Whitetail Buck Valid In 2 or 3 Buck Co. or Antlerless except in 2 antlerless Co." (#9), then two mule deer tags (one buck, one antlerless; [#10, #11]).

You can now purchase 2 extra tags at $10 apiece for antlerless or spike only from TPW for special areas that have been declared dangerously overpopulated. Often these may be used on state parks where the deer have exploded in population. Imagine: if you did your part there, and tagged out in a mule deer county that allowed does (not Brewster, eh, Art? ), you could legally bring in 9 deer in this great state of ours.

Then draw an antelope tag and a desert bighorn permit...

But all that takes some running around...

Best,
L.P.

------------------

Matt

Old January 10, 2000, 09:09 AM   #6
Long Path

Okay... got out the Outdoor Annual for 1999-2000, and found that... I was very mistaken. Texas used to only no more than 2 doe in ANY counties. Looking at the wording, I now see that you are absolutely correct. I could technically have taken a third doe in northern Uvalde County, with no worries but to make sure I doled out my tags properly. Be durned! Things change...

Texas has quite a few "five deer counties," in that they allow 3 bucks. I just finished last Sunday in such a county (Uvalde, though I was N. of Hwy 90, where it's only 4 deer). My hunting license had tags for two antlerless whitetail (used)(#5, #6), and then has a tag for whitetail buck in "1 or 3 Buck Co. or antlerless in 5 Buck Co." (#7), "Whitetail buck valid in 2 or 3 buck Co. or antlerless except in 2 antlerless Co" (#8), "Whitetail Buck Valid In 2 or 3 Buck Co. or Antlerless except in 2 antlerless Co." (#9), then two mule deer tags (one buck, one antlerless; [#10, #11]).

You can now purchase 2 Bonus Whitetail Deer tags at $10 apiece good for buck or antlerless from TPW for special areas that have been declared dangerously overpopulated. Often these may be used on state parks where the deer have exploded in population. Imagine: if you did your part there, and tagged out in a mule deer county that allowed does (not Brewster, eh, Art? ), you could legally bring in 9 deer in this great state of ours.

Best,
L.P.

------------------

Matt

Old January 10, 2000, 09:10 AM   #7
Long Path

Okay... got out the Outdoor Annual for 1999-2000, and found that... I was very mistaken. Texas used to only allow no more than 2 doe in ANY counties. Looking at the wording, I now see that you are absolutely correct. I could technically have taken a third doe in northern Uvalde County, with no worries but to make sure I doled out my tags properly. Be durned! Things change...

Texas has quite a few "five deer counties," in that they allow 3 bucks. I just finished last Sunday in such a county (Uvalde, though I was N. of Hwy 90, where it's only 4 deer). My hunting license had tags for two antlerless whitetail (used)(#5, #6), and then has a tag for whitetail buck in "1 or 3 Buck Co. or antlerless in 5 Buck Co." (#7), "Whitetail buck valid in 2 or 3 buck Co. or antlerless except in 2 antlerless Co" (#8), "Whitetail Buck Valid In 2 or 3 Buck Co. or Antlerless except in 2 antlerless Co." (#9), then two mule deer tags (one buck, one antlerless; [#10, #11]).

You can now purchase 2 Bonus Whitetail Deer tags at $10 apiece good for buck or antlerless from TPW for special areas that have been declared dangerously overpopulated. Often these may be used on state parks where the deer have exploded in population. Imagine: if you did your part there, and tagged out in a mule deer county that allowed does (not Brewster, eh, Art? ), you could legally bring in 9 deer in this great state of ours.

Best,
L.P.

------------------

Matt