The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old July 12, 2002, 09:24 PM   #1
ber266148

My experience (so far) with UncleMikes.com

Here's an email chain I promised this person from Uncle Mike's (holsters, etc.) I would be posting here. As promised, I'll also post any follow-up I receive Monday (or thereafter). Note that I purchased the holster online at their site on Tuesday, July 2. (I just received a response to my first email to them today.)
=========================

Dear Kim:

That is not at all satisfactory. You're telling me that you can't ship a product for 2 weeks because of inventory!? And I notice that a full 4 days passed before you even bothered to answer my mail. Moreover, when I called your offices a few days ago, I was informed that your online ordering service sends no shipping notice as a rule. I hope that the person to whom I spoke was misinformed. If not, these practices are examples of terrible customer relations! I really think that you should consider shipping this product to me overnight at your company's expense as consideration for having delayed shipment for so long.

Know this: I will be making this experience known to all five of the shooting-related online discussion groups to which I subscribe. Your handling of the matter from this point forward will probably affect the decisions of many of the readers of my story. Is Uncle Mikes a good company overall who made one blunder but owned up to it and did right by a customer wronged, or are they more concerned about a few bucks now than, perhaps, many future purchases by this and other potential online customers in the future? What shall I tell them? I'll know by Monday, I suppose. If you reply to this message with a Fedex/UPS tracking number telling me to expect my package Tuesday morning, you will have impressed hundreds (perhaps thousands) of potential customers. If you do not, you will impress them, too, albeit in an altogether different way. Your call.

--- Kim BURLISON <[email protected]> wrote:
> We have just finished up inventory. We have your holster in stock and it should ship out
> beginning of next week. Sorry for the delay.
>
> >>> SHAWN STONE <[email protected]> 07/08/02 06:10PM >>>
> Hi, folks.....
>
>
> Any way of knowing the ETA of this holster? I haven't received it yet, and I haven't
> received
> a shipping email, either.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn ([email protected])
>
>
> Note: forwarded message attached.
>
>
> =====
>
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably.
The lesson is... 'never try'."
-- Homer Simpson
Old July 14, 2002, 08:56 AM   #2
harbinger

I understand your frustration, but personally think you went a bit overboard with your letter.
Most companies take an extended vacation around the 4th of July. Probably why they didn't respond to you ASAP. Then again, depending what time you ordered on the 2nd, that should have given them ample time to respond before the holiday. Then AGAIN, most people like to take the first week off for vacation, so they were probably understaffed, and working for a large retail store myself, I know how much fun that is.
Two weeks for inventory seems excessive, but I don't know how they run their operation over there, so.....I think I should stop babbling and finish my morning coffee.
I'd give 'em a chance to make things right, though, before jumping down their necks. Just my opinion.
Old July 14, 2002, 10:01 AM   #3
Quartus

Way overboard. From first question/response to major threats in ONE email exchange. Way out of line.

Yes, a notice about delays due to inventory should have been posted on the web page.

Two weeks in not excessive. This is not GM - this is a small company, and the points about July 4th are quite valid.

I don't see anything here that would discourage me AT ALL from buying Uncle Mike's.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old July 15, 2002, 08:14 PM   #4
ber266148

And their reply, as promised...

Shawn,
I apologize for the inconvenience and the length of time it has taken to ship your holster. We
shipped your holster red label (at our expense) today under the tracking number
XXXXXXXXXXXX. You will receive the package tomorrow.
Again I apologize for the length of time. By no means do I expect an explanation to take away
your frustration, but hopefully it will ease some of the negative thoughts about our company.
Being a manufacturer, we are not equipped to handle consumer orders the same way that a catalog
house does. We offer our products on line as courtesy to those consumers that prefer to order
online directly from the manufacturer and also to those people that are unable to find our
products locally.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Kim Graham
Technical Support Supervisor
Michaels of Oregon CO.
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably.
The lesson is... 'never try'."
-- Homer Simpson
Old July 31, 2002, 09:34 PM   #5
Blackhawk

You went ballistic 10 days after placing an online order with an intervening holiday resulting in 6 business days...?

Relax, maybe cut back on the caffeine....
Old August 2, 2002, 03:44 PM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Well, I guess I need to step in and offer my experience as a Vendor to Michael's of Oregon.

When they have promised to buy ads in S.W.A.T. they have responded professionally and timely....no hassles getting the written order, the artwork or the payment. That's hardly the rule in the print industry.

Aside for comparison:
Recently, my AT&T cell phone went belly-up under warranty. They require 10 business days to send out a replacement. I'm not happy about it, but I do understand it.

I also think Kim's action and professional response say a great deal about the Company.
Rich