The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 17, 2002, 03:34 PM   #1
nutzo

Norinco 12ga.

I was wondering about the Norinco 12ga. I have several personal weapons, including handguns and long rifles. I do not have a shotgun and I think one would be in order for me. I went to Gunbroker.com and found a Norinco. I do not know much about them though. Anyone have any info...neg or pos? They are priced pretty low, but I do not want to sacrifice price for having a piece of junk. Thanks.
Old March 17, 2002, 03:50 PM   #2
nutzo

oops, a hot topic.

After I made my previous post I decided to do some searching and found a bunch of info on the Norinco.....As I do not come here often I didn't see any Norinco info on the first page, but there are plenty after. It seems like it is a touchy subject to some and I was able to get enough info for me, so if the moderator wants to close the thread before it gets ugly its ok with me....All I want is info on the weapon, not a class on the evil communist nation of China. I did see where some guys said that weapons made by the communist are junk but I do not agree. It seems to me a lot of our boys over in Vietnam wanted that AK47 pretty badly....just my opinion.
Old March 17, 2002, 05:52 PM   #3
Adamantium

They sold the Norinco Ithica 37 copy and the SxS where I used to work (yesterday was my last day there, and I couldn't be too happy ) and they never impressed me much. Neither was finished very nicely and both had very stiff actions even after being lubed. On the SxS you couldn't even open it fully unless you built up quite a bit of speed to get it open that last bit. The buttstock of the Ithica would often have to be braced against something to open the action on that also. Also the wood on the Ithica copies forend was very flimsy, and it was poorly fitted to the barrel. And you can't use steel shot in them either from my understanding, it is either the choke tubes or the barrel that isn't rated for it but I don't recall off the top of my head. So politics aside I wouldn't recommend one, you'ld be better of geting a new or used quality gun.

And this being your first shotgun I'd even more strongly recommend one that isn't of questionable quality. Ideally you should be focusing 100% of your energy on your personal shooting ability instead of various problems a cheap gun could give you.

Though some people really like the Norincos, I've never seen much of a quality distance in the 15-20 I've handled. Good luck gun hunting also.

Sincerely,
Adam
Old March 17, 2002, 07:32 PM   #4
Kevan

I was thinking about a Norinco 97, but when I looked at it closely, it just seemed "cobbled together." I bought a Winchester Defender instead and am very glad that I did. Did I say that I was very glad that I did? I thought I didn't like shotguns until I got that Defender. Now I'm a 12 gauge shootin' fool! I didn't know how much I loved shotguns until I got one.
Old March 17, 2002, 08:55 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Leaving the "Politics" aside....

There's a few good reasons to buy American guns.

First,warranty work is closer. After some frustrating experiences with a Spanish handgun long ago, I know that guns shipped long distances are more likely to go astray.

Second, shotguns from the Big Three have great parts availability, and gunsmiths that can work on a Mossie are neither as rare nor as expensive as those that can give a Purdey its due.Aftermarket accessories is a marvelous way to upgrade one's equipment.Clones do not have this capability.

Third, many used specimens of modern pumps are for sale at reasonable prices. $200 will get one a beater 1300, 500 or 870 that looks a bit rough, but will function perfectly for decades.

5000 rounds through a 1200,1300 or 500 series is just part of its working life. Same rounds through an 870 are just a good start. My hunch is the clones would have given up well before this.

And, 5000 rounds is less than a year's worth of shooting for some of us, and a few years worth for many more....