The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2001, 04:17 AM   #1
Nightcrawler

New Remington 870 Questions

There's a Remington 870 Express at the local Dunham's Sporting Goods Store that I have my eye on. It's brand new, with a 20" smoothbore, rifle-sighted barrel, for $279. I have questions.

-About the Remington Stupid-A$$ed Keylock Saftey: Is there a chance that this thing will malfunction and freeze up the gun? Is there a way to permanently disable it? Is it very noticable? Does it interfere with the internals of the gun? I mean, how stupid. If I want to disable a firearm I'll take it apart.

-About the magazine tube dimples. Okay, let's say I have the shotgun at home, and have taken it apart, and have the magazine tube cap off. I'm looking into the magazine tube, and have removed the spring and follower. What, exactly, am I looking for? How far are these dimples from the front end of the magazine tube? What's the best/simplest/easiest way to remove them, so I can add an aftermarket extended tube?

-By the Way: Mossberg sells Reminton 870 barrels for noticably less than Remintgon does. Food for thought. Way to go, Mossberg!
Old July 1, 2001, 07:51 AM   #2
Kingcreek

-About the Remington Stupid-A$$ed Keylock Saftey: My solution to this ridiculous situation was to purchase a complete trigger group and drop it in. I talked a gunsmith out of a brand new group (with a bit of a trigger job) for $60. Threw the old one in the box in case I ever sell the 11-87.
The dimples are near the end of the tube. With the forearm off you can easily see them.
Old July 1, 2001, 09:58 AM   #3
BKinzey

The dimples are close to the end of the tube, pull the barrel off and you'll see them. Use a drill bit just larger (3/16 I think) than the dimple and drill them out. I replaced my Keyed Safety with a Vang Comp big head safety, no problem, popped right in and $10. Wilson Combat / Scattergun has the older factory type in their bargain area for $4.
Old July 3, 2001, 02:41 AM   #4
Nightcrawler

sling??

What's this I hear about Remington 870 express models not having sling swivel studs?? Cripes, that's getting into the realm of super-cheap.
Old July 3, 2001, 06:20 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

NC, most of the other 870 models, and most shotguns in general, come w/o sling studs. They're probably the most common addon.

Never had to do the "Dimples" thing, but friends who have say No Big.

Others and myself have managed to manipulate the keyed safety to safe,w/o a key. An aftermarket safety is not expensive and easy to install, I understand. One correspondent here mentioned it in a thread a while back.

Even a PC-prostituted 870 like this is oneheckuva shotgun. A little work turns it into a great one.
Old July 3, 2001, 06:55 AM   #6
Nightcrawler

True

All the Mossbergs and Winchesters with synthetic stocks come with studs. This M870 has a wood stock, but still. A sling has got to be one of the most utilitarian attachments you can get. Any long gun that's meant to be carried afield ought to have a sling. Even if it doesn't weigh that much, you might want to have your hands free to take a leak, zip your jacket, etc., and may not want to set your weapon down in the mud/water/whatever you might be standing in.

As of right now, I plan on buying a Remington 870 Express when my cash gets in. It'll save me money and give me a good shotgun. Someday, I'll splurge and buy a super-nice semiauto, maybe a Benelli or a Franchi, but for right now, the pumper will do. The only used one I've been able to find has been sold, I think, so I'll be dropping $279 for a new Remington 870 express slug gun, with a 20" smoothbore barrel with rifle sights. Another $67.00 or so will get me 200 rounds of Seller & Belliot 12-ga 2.75" No. 4 buckshot from Cabela's. My friend has a power drill with which I can remove the magazine dimples, in case I decide to buy a magazine extension later on. What size drill bit should I use?

What's this I hear about being able to buy a non-keylock Rem M870 trigger group from someplace?