The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Old Rusty

Bayard 1908 Project

Hello, Im new the forum so I'm not sure if I am directing this topic in the correct place. I apologize for any confusion.
Ok, here goes. I have been working on a Bayard 1908 .32 caliber pistol. The pistol itself was found in the outside shed of a family member after they passed. Needles to say the pistol was completely rusted and frozen stuck. I've cleaned it to best of my know ability and am considering polishing the slide and dark blueing the frame. I was interested in hearing any opinions or comments on this process or any input about the pistol in general. Thanks , Old Rusty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.6 KB, 46 views)
Old March 23, 2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Roughedge

I have restored guns in worse shape so you should be okay. The hardest thing will be finding parts, hopefuly you want need any.
Old March 23, 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Old Rusty

All of the parts are there. I stripped it down to the springs and reassembled it already. Since the gun isn't worth much I decided to cold blue the frame with Birchwood perma blue and I wanted to mirror polish the slide. The perma blue is blotchy and starting to fade already. I have the slide polished thus far with 600 grit sandpaper. Any tips or ideas are appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (201.7 KB, 25 views)
Old March 23, 2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Roughedge

If you can get some of this http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to....aspx?psize=96 and take a heat gun and heat the part to around 200 and apply and let dry. card off the haze with clean dry 000 steel wool. repeat 4 or 5 time and it should look better. Just make sure there is no oil on anything or it will be blotchy.
Old March 24, 2014, 12:49 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

The gun was originally rust blued. This is the finish that should be applied to it. Rust bluing chemicals are available from Brownell's. It takes a little longer than cold blue but it doesn't fade or stink, and it actually protects the metal better than hot bluing.
Old March 24, 2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Old Rusty

Thank you gentleman for your assistance. I'll explore the rust blue route. Question? How dark or what shade is the rust blue finish!
Old March 24, 2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

It's a soft, dark blue/black.
Old March 24, 2014, 02:52 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, up to the mid-1930's all European guns and many U.S. guns were rust blued. Some U.S. handguns were Carbonia blued, but the caustic salt (hot tank) blue in almost universal use today didn't exist.

Jim

Tags
1908 , bayard , grip screws , refinish