The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 29, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
JW74

Need Help With New Browning Citori

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding my new Browning Citori 625. I haven't had it to the sporting clays range yet (going tomorrow) but have been using snap caps to get a feel for the gun and trigger pull. The problem I am noticing is that after I pull the trigger the first time the gun won't reset the trigger and allow me to fire the second barrel without first engaging and then disengaging the trigger. I have never had this with any other O/U shotgun I have fired in the past. Does anyone have and ideas as to what could be causing this? I really want to shoot it tomorrow but this issue will ruin my round of clays having to monkey with the safety each time before firing the second barrel.

Thanks for any help.
Old September 29, 2011, 06:32 PM   #2
JW74

Got it figured out. The trigger reset is recoil activated. Explains why it wouldn't work with only snap caps!
Old September 29, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
M4BGRINGO

You answered your own question. I just bought a 525 but have not used it for Sporting Clays yet, only Trap, so I haven't seen how the trigger reset actually works yet.

What really annoys me is that the gun feels great, but I still shoot better with my Remmington 870. Guess I need more time with this Browning. It is a lot lighter than the 870 and I seem to be swinging it around too much.

I bought it for Sporting Clays, hopefully will get a chance soon to try it soon for that. Good luck with yours!
Old September 29, 2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's called an inertia trigger.

Easier to make,hence cheaper, than a mechanical setup. But, inertia triggers rarely need maintenance. They may need a little cleaning up and adjustment, like any other firearm.
Old September 29, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5
zippy13

Inertia or mechanical triggers is something that should be considered before purchasing a shotgun, not discovered after the fact.
Old September 30, 2011, 12:28 AM   #6
JW74

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's much appreciated! I didn't know about the inertia trigger on this gun. Reason being is that I won it @ a sporting clays tournament and didn't actually shop for it. I have been shooting clays with my Winchester SX3 for the last year, which I love. I'm looking forward to shooting my new Browning. They are a classy gun for sure!
Old September 30, 2011, 12:34 PM   #7
BigJimP

Nothing wrong with the Inertia trigger system that Browning uses...unless you want to consider having the gun "tubed" for sub-gagues ....then you'll probably have to have it retrofit with mechanical triggers as part of the "tubing process".

Nice door-prize ..../ hope you like it ...and I hope it "fits" you well.