The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2009, 10:54 AM   #1
hyrczyk

v-max question

I am looking at loading v-max bullets for my AKs and RPK and due to not being able to find hp bullets in bulk and prefer not to use cast/sp bullets as a main stay due to potential feeding issues I was looking at the 123gr v-max bullets as to I can get them at a better price and availability than the standard fmj bullets. I know they are a varmint round but would they suffice for deer sized game or for personal deffense if/when shtf out to 300yds? I already have a OK stash of fmj and hp but am looking to add more brass cased ammo but with the high prices I can reload cheaper and get better quality and then keep the cheap wolf fmj for practice/training. Any input or thoughts would be great.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The V-max's seem to be geared toward varmint shooting. Hornady's own information on them refers to the tip initiating "dramatic expansion". That is great for small animals and varmints, but that would not make them the best choice for a deer load. The potential to destroy good meat or stop too shallow and send you on a blood trail tracking expedition is greater with dramatic expansion. Should be fine for self-defense though. Maybe even good for that purpose, since they won't be as likely to have a lot of retained energy after penetration and wind up in the neighbor's home. That's a basic concern with medium and high power rifle rounds for self-defense. Shotguns are great for the purpose.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 27, 2009, 11:46 AM   #3
45Marlin carbine

Graf's has the .310 VMax - they shoot very good in my Mini30. I don't know about useing on deer, but as always shot placement is critical. they would do fine for a base of skull/neck shot for sure.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Oberg

Not the same gun but propli really close. I used a 6.8 SPC for deer hunting this year with 110 v-max and at about 130 yards I had it penetrate a deer for around 30 inches. I know bad shot. but it was hit once by my buddy. And I took 2 other deer with it one head shot (doesn't tell anything about the bullet) and one through and through vitals and it worked very well.
Old February 27, 2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Inspector3711

Vmax for varmints. For deer I'd go with something designed for big game. Nosler Partition is a good one.

Last edited by Inspector3711; February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old February 28, 2009, 05:36 AM   #6
troy_mclure

berger makes some good bulk bullets.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 28, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
furtaker

v-max

I live in Nebraska it is leagal to shoot deer with a 22-250, since 1995 i have killed deer every year except three with this caliber. last three years i have been hand loading 55gr. v-max bullets with excellent results on deer out to 150yds. I have shot steel swinging targets 1/4" thickness at 350yds. it is penetrating half way through the plate. I know this is not the same caliber or gun you are shooting. However with all of my shooting and testing of this bullet I am extremely impressed!
Old February 28, 2009, 03:07 PM   #8
James R. Burke

Like everyone is saying v-max for varmints. They work great for that and they are really accurate. Shot them in alot of differnt calibers. No doubt the Nosler Partition is the one for deer. I also used those and they work great for deer.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Inspector3711

I'm not doubting that you can kill a deer with the Vmax. I just don't think it's the ideal choice. It would be easier to waste some meat with a varmint bullet as they tend to be more explosive.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:23 AM   #10
hyrczyk

Thanks for all of the input. I may try some of the v-max if I can't get my hands on some fmj for general shooting. I already have some factory hp and sp ammo for hunting-I was more looking at getting components set up for down the line when it will get harder to find ammo/more expensive to shoot the AKs. It's the one gun I have that I have not gotten set up for reloading yet and with the way things are going I figured it would be a good idea. I have found the 123 v-max to be a little cheaper per 1k than the standard 123fmj which is honestly the main reason I was thinking about it.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:59 PM   #11
ForneyRider

Sierra BlitzKing, Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint, and Hornady V-Max are all plastic tip wonders. If you are wanting some plinkers, they are available in bulk.

I shot all three and really enjoy them, but V-Max is all I have hunted with of the three. I shot a deer this year with Federal 50gr HP bulk ammo. One shot put it down for good. My Dad has shot several deer and hogs with 50gr V-Max in his .22-250.