The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 28, 2008, 02:03 PM   #1
rptrower

Pistol Repair

I have several weapons that I have owned for years or inherited that need repairs. As a retired electrical engineer and a person who has done a lot of fabrication/welding and other precision work, I am interested in gunsmithing.

Please excuse my lack of accurate terminology of parts.

I own a Hawes 22 single shot target pistol that I bought about 40 years ago. The barrell is slightly loose in the action. The button you push to release the barrell for loading had a tapered rectangular piece that fits in a groove in breech end of the barrell. This groove is worn from years of firing. With this wear allowing the barrell to move, the pistol sometimes does not fire.

Can anyone give me ideas or the proper way of building up this groove to restore the tightness to the action?
Old August 28, 2008, 03:30 PM   #2
9x19

Sounds like a task for a good TIG welder (because you can limit heat exposure to the surrounding part) and a mill, or rat-tail file to reshape the barrel lug.
Old August 28, 2008, 03:52 PM   #3
rptrower

Hawes Pistol Repair

The tig welder & file were also my first thought. Didn't know if anyone had a better method. Thanks
Old August 28, 2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Joat

A larger tenon to take up the slop
Old August 28, 2008, 05:04 PM   #5
rptrower

Joat

Thanks for the suggestion however the tenon slides back into an opening in the action so it can't be enlarged. It also does not appear to be worn.
Old August 28, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The Hawes pistol has a zinc frame. The barrel is also zinc, with a steel liner. Don't get heat anywhere near it!
Old August 28, 2008, 07:36 PM   #7
rptrower

Bill,

Thanks for the info about the zinc barrell. I am thinking about trying one of the new epoxies that are supposed to setup as hard as steel and adhere to about anything. It would not be much of a project to fill the worn area then file to correct size.
Old August 28, 2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Tom2

Well in that case, I have used epoxies at work that are filled with metal. Steel and aluminum filled and they are really tough stuff when hardened, and somewhat machineable too. They even look like metal hardened. I could see that sort of fix on a zinc alloy gun and being only a .22 which does not endure alot of pressure and stress like a larger centerfire pistol. Remember fully degrease everything and even remove any oxide from the bonding surfaces and perhaps roughen for better adhesion. But if you enjoy shooting that, perhaps upgrade and invest in a newer gun made of steel! Might even have more fun with that. Of course ask for opinions here and get some ideas before spending money. Some guns out there have their quirks.