The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 23, 2005, 08:58 PM   #1
gord k

Need firing pin for C.I.L. Model 212 rimfire

Does anyone have or know where I can get a firing pin for a C.I.L. model 212 .22 cal rifle?
Old September 24, 2005, 08:00 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

What does C.I.L. stand for? Or do you have pictures of the firearm to post?
Old September 24, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3
gord k

Re: C.i.L. model 212 firing pin

C.I.L. stands for Canadian Industries Ltd. I believe they were based in Montreal. They may have been affiliated with Savage or bought out by them. The model 212 is a semi auto .22 likely made in the early to mid 60's. I will try to post a picture of the gun as well as the broken firing pin.
Old September 27, 2005, 09:07 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gun Parts Corp has listings for some CIL models but not a 212. Go to http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=40 to see which models they have listed.
Old October 1, 2005, 01:18 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

C.I.L. made all kinds of stuff. Everything from paint to ammo. The old 'Imperial' brand of ammo was CIL made by Dominion Arsenals, for a while. Good stuff too. Until IVI out of Valcartier got the name and the CF contract to make ammo for the CF. Reliable as hell but mediocre accuracy with exactly the same machines and people. IVI is a Quebec company that got the contract for political reasons.
CIL is a paint company now.
A CIL Model 212 is a Savage 7J. Don't know where you'd find a firing pin though. If you have the original, you might be able to have one made, but it won't be cheap.
Old October 3, 2005, 09:56 PM   #6
gord k

firing pin

Thanks for a your help guys. My C.I.L. 212 was actually made by Savage and is the same as the Savage 87J. There were 2 different firng pins used in that model. I located one close to home which of course turned out to be the wrong one. I was able to find another one a little further away and that turned out to be the right one. It's amazing what you can find if you just let people know what your looking for.
Old August 16, 2007, 09:21 AM   #7
bundj

Cil 212

Hey all,

While on the subject, I'm looking for a CIL 212 (savage 7J) 22 cal magazine, I'm also having problems with the shells not ejecting properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Canada
Old August 24, 2007, 11:34 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...if you just let people know what your looking for...." Yep. Although I've been looking for a rich and sickly female with very low standards or a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store with even lower standards for years without much luck. Every time I ask the people I know, they just laugh at me. The women tend to glare at me a lot.
Old January 6, 2012, 04:50 PM   #9
jwiebe

Shells Not Ejecting

Bundji posted that he was having trouble with shells not ejecting. My own model 212 also has issues with this. Maybe its a common CIL problem?
Old January 6, 2012, 08:48 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Savage made that .22 autoloader under the Savage, Springfield and Stevens names in a bewildering variety of model numbers - 6, 7, 76, 87, and letter variations.

Don't blame CIL for the problem, as CIL probably didn't make the guns. Because of Canadian customs laws, several U.S. companies had marketing arrangements where they marked guns with a Canadian company name for sale in Canada. Mostly, the Canadian "manufacturers" might handle U.S. guns as a sideline or be nothing more than an office and a warehouse.

The problem here is that even if a U.S. parts company has the part, they won't ship to a foreign country if the part is on the restricted list. Check with the company before sending money.

FWIW, and in my opinion, those semi-auto rifles were, to be blunt about it, junk. Some of them must have worked, as Savage sold a bunch of them, but I fixed (or tried to fix) so many of them that I got to really hate the d****d things. No matter what the original problem was, it was no sooner fixed than something else broke.

Jim