The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 24, 2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Mike.22

My first Multi caliber Can...

Hey y'all, newbie here to brag about my first suppressor build
It took me a really long time to get it all figured out and find odds and ends that fit to make it work, but in the end the assembly of it turned out really easy. Heres the build video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UuyaVnp93o
Old September 24, 2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Mike.22

Looking for feedback on the build, improvements/ suggestions, and feedback on the video.
Old September 25, 2018, 07:55 AM   #3
9x19

Well done, both the silencer and the video.

For folks in the US, please remember you need to have an approved Form 1 BEFORE you assemble the silencer.
Old December 30, 2018, 04:03 AM   #4
hbk80rice

My best is an Omega made by SilencerCo....
Shoot everything from .22(dont reccomend personally), 4
7, .223, .243, .308, 300BLK, 300 Win Mag,...well basically ANYTHING from a 5.7 to a 300 Win Mag with no problems at all. It will also shoot all of these in full auto as long as the barrels are these lengths:
.223 / 5.56 – 10″
300 BLK – 8″
.308 Winchester – 16″
.300 Winchester Magnum – 20″

So far the best can and QUIESTEST can that I've ever shot out of a dedicated .223/5.56 or 30 cal can, and this can isn't a dedicated can. Also while we were shooting 300 BLK subs it WAS QUIETER than the MP5SD we had.
Old December 30, 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Mobuck

Rim fire suppressors can be fairly simple and still be effective.
Some of the utoob stuff is pretty hokie and I don't even go there.
Old December 30, 2018, 08:24 AM   #6
jpx2rk

I have a Harvester in jail which should (hope) will be a good multi-purpose can for me. Right now all I have are 204 up to 22-250, but I seem to be expanding my inventory just like my waistline. LOL
Old January 1, 2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Mobuck

"I have a Harvester in jail which should (hope) will be a good multi-purpose can for me."

That's what I started with. While it's an improvement over open muzzle blast, it leaves a lot to be desired on a 22 caliber. On a 6.8 to .30, it does a decent job, if you can handle the length.
Old January 7, 2019, 08:04 PM   #8
Drm50

Are you allowed to build your own silencer from scratch with the permit? And does it need
a serial number like when you build a gun from scratch? The only experience I had with a
silencer was a GI model for m16. Where it came from I don't know but it had gone through
several hands before I got it. The guys that had it prior to me were to dumb to know it needed subsonic ammo to work. After a few guys used standard ammo and full auto to boot
it was burnt out before I got it. Unlike the movies silencers weren't general issue. Only the
Special Ops guys & CIA had access to them and ammo. I only saw one the whole time I was
over seas and never came up with the ammo. I saw a article some years later that a GI m16 silencer with no guts would silence a 22lr. It was written by a guy named Dater who I
think designed the GI version. I'm not that interested in silencers but they would be really
good for squirrel hunting with a 22. Here in Ohio I guess it's legal to use silencers while
hunting. I know what they are and how they work but I think the average guy doesn't know
the MV you have to sacrifice in order to use one. Speed of sound is about 1086 fps and that's about 1/3 of the velocity a lot of CFs are operating at.
Old January 7, 2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Mobuck

"I know what they are and how they work but I think the average guy doesn't know
the MV you have to sacrifice in order to use one. Speed of sound is about 1086 fps and that's about 1/3 of the velocity a lot of CFs are operating at."
Even with super sonic ammo, the lack of muzzle blast changes the entire game animal response to a shot. The sonic signature of the bullet is still there but not the "boom".
Old January 9, 2019, 07:51 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
Are you allowed to build your own silencer from scratch with the permit?
Yes, but it’s not a permit. It’s a one-time tax payment of $200 and the silencer is registered to you.

Quote:
And does it need
a serial number like when you build a gun from scratch?
Yes, it also needs to be marked with the caliber and with your name and location (city, state).

Quote:
The only experience I had with a
silencer was a GI model for m16. Where it came from I don't know but it had gone through
several hands before I got it. The guys that had it prior to me were to dumb to know it needed subsonic ammo to work.
Almost nobody who wants an effective firearm uses subsonic ammo with .223/5.56. Subsonic 5.56 is barely better than a .22 LR and it won’t cycle the action without modifying the firearm. It’s really not a thing beyond range shooters who want the novelty of a super-quiet, single-shot rifle. I’ve worked at three gun shops over the last 7 years and I’ve only been asked for subsonic 5.56 ammo by people who had no idea of its terrible ballistics and the fact that it would turn their rifle into a single-shot. And once I told them they had no interest (we didn’t carry it anyway).

So when the military (and almost everyone else) suppresses their 5.56 rifles, they’re using supersonic ammo. You still get the supersonic crack, but the overall sound is much quieter.

Quote:
After a few guys used standard ammo and full auto to boot
it was burnt out before I got it.
Even the very first centerfire rifle silencers designed by Maxim were intended for use with supersonic ammo. If that silencer you’re talking about was shot out it was either because they shot too many rounds through it too quickly, or because the silencer simply had reached the end of its service life: Every shot from a centerfire rifle erodes a silencer’s internals a little bit and eventually the performance is degraded. This usually takes many thousands of rounds, though.

Last edited by Theohazard; January 9, 2019 at 08:01 AM.

Tags
diy silencer , form 1 , how to make a suppressor , suppressor