The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 15, 2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Doyle

Mississippi permitless concealed carry now legal

The Governor just signed HB786 into law. The bills was created to allow churches to designate armed security guards within its membership but a couple of great cookies were added to it that will benefit all. Among them are permitless concealed carry (although a MS carry permit will still be needed if you want reciprocity with other states and an enhanced carry permit will still be needed if you want to carry in some of the places off limits to other concealed carriers). One other nice little provision was an prohibition of MS law enforcement officers from carrying out "federal executive orders" that did not come from Congress which conflict with either the federal or MS constitution.
Old April 15, 2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Carne Frio

Congratulations to those MS !
Old April 15, 2016, 04:26 PM   #3
FITASC

So, for my education, if I have a FL CWL, and I travel to MS (and will be this summer), where do I stand? Keep it concealed, allowable in restaurants that serve adult beverages, driving down the road.......etc?

Thanks for any insight and help
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Doyle

Quote:
So, for my education, if I have a FL CWL, and I travel to MS (and will be this summer), where do I stand? Keep it concealed, allowable in restaurants that serve adult beverages, driving down the road.......etc?
MS has always recognized FL permits (I still use my FL permit). MS is kind of unique in that it has 2 levels of places you can carry based on what kind of permit you carry. Normal CCW permits (and now permitless carry) and out-of-state permits allow you to carry in most places while an "enhanced" (or Instructor Certified) permit allows you to carry in more places.

This info from HandgunlawUS seems to be pretty current except for today's change. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/mississippi.pdf
Old April 15, 2016, 08:56 PM   #5
FITASC

So, in reading the link, basically no bars, churches, and all of the typical places likes schools, gov't buildings, etc.

If we stop at a Chili's or similar. good to go if not in the bar area?
OK inside the the main compartment of the car and reachable? I try reading HLUS and some of the stuff they provide from the state lawyers can be confusing.

Thanks again
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2016, 09:13 PM   #6
Doyle

Ok inside your car. We don't have any language like FL does about being "encased" but my thought on that is that concealed means concealed. Open carry is actually legal here but I think it just invites trouble.

Restaurants that serve alcohol outside the "bar" area are OK (however, you will find that many restaurants here don't serve alcohol - MS has some REALLY strange liquor laws).