The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2018, 04:12 PM   #26
603Country

I shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips in all my rifles and have done so since they were introduced. I don’t worry about melting tips. And, having read PO Ackley’s book/books, and his high praise of the 220 Swift, I tried deer hunting years ago with my 220 Swift, which had fairly blazing speed but the wrong bullets. The 220 killed em like lightening, or didn’t drop them at all. I guess I’m just not in the super fast tiny bullet camp, though if I had had today’s bullet options back then maybe i’d feel different.

I’ll just stay with the BTs (partly, I’ll admit, because I’ll die of old age before I shoot up what I have). 120’s in the 260 and 130’s in the 270.

I should at least try some of those little Barnes bullets in the 220. Maybe I’m missing something.
Old November 23, 2018, 07:28 PM   #27
rodwhaincamo

I mostly used the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips (130 grn) in a .270 Win. Prior to shooting deer in the neck I was always getting a lot of bloodshot meat. From what I’ve read of those who really love their large caliber guns is that expansion isn’t needed, and that you can virtually eat right up to the hole. Of course the maximum range is cut down quite a bit.

I now have a .50 cal muzzleloader that I’m working on using both a .49 cal 177 grn ball and the 250 and 320 grn Lee REAL conicals. Our Texas deer are rather small so the more meat I get the better, and I’ve never shot anything beyond 80 yds anyway, though I’ve had opportunities and do want a rifle for hunting across fields and such.