The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 4, 2018, 08:18 PM   #1
MasterBlaster357

Issues with k98 mauser

Howdy fellas, got an all-matching S/N k98 mauser. Gun is in exceptionally good shape. (Except it won't shoot, lol) It looks to me like the bolt face has been altered. (Possibly chamber as well) Firing pin is striking as it should, yet the cartridges seem to go just barely too far into the chamber. The bolt face and extractor seem to have been modified to accomodate a rimmed cartridge. A .410 shell will fit perfectly into the bolt face/extractor - but the brass will not fit into the chamber. The chamber seems to fit the 8mm rounds in terms of diameter, but as I said they seem to go a little too far in and the bolt face/extractor is too big to grab on to em.

I'm wondering if it would shoot a .30-.30.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:39 PM   #2
big al hunter

Sounds like someone modified it and didn't stamp the changes into the barrel. Take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber cast to see what it is actually chambered for.
Old September 4, 2018, 09:28 PM   #3
jonnyc

Ditto! Don't play musical cartridges, let a qualified 'smith determine the caliber.
Old September 4, 2018, 09:29 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to tfl!

get a chamber cast done and measured to determine what the chamber is now. DO NOT shoot the rifle or TRY to shoot the rifle until after you have done this and can be reasonably sure what ammo is the proper fit.

DO NOT try a .30-30 round "to see if it works".

There have been a lot of 98 Mausers made, and remade in a huge amount of variations. Civilian and military. What are the markings on the gun? Good clear pictures would help.
Old September 4, 2018, 09:59 PM   #5
MasterBlaster357

It's a German k98. SS gun(not sure if that makes it special). My granddad brought it back from the war. I'll post some pics
Old September 5, 2018, 03:20 AM   #6
eastbank

might be one of the 8 mm rimmed target rifle cartiges
Old September 5, 2018, 02:38 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...shoot a .30-.30..." Highly unlikely. Slug the barrel(hammer a cast .30 cal bullet or suitably sized lead fishing sinker through the barrel from the chamber end with a 1/4" brass rod and a plastic mallet and measure with a micrometer.) to determine the calibre and have or do a chamber cast.
An 8mm Mauser round is 3.228" long and uses a .323" bullet. A .30-30 uses a .308" bullet and its Max OAL is 2.550".
"...A .410 shell will..." It makes no difference whatever what a .410 shell will do.
"...not sure if that makes it special..." Probably isn't anyway, but it still makes no difference for shooting.