The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 2, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
308Gunner

Thoughts on Georgia Arms Ammo?

Just as the title suggests, anyone have thoughts or reviews on GA Arms ammunition? Specifically the 'Canned Heat.' After just shilling out $40/100 rounds of .40, the idea of getting a better deal for my dollar is rather appealing. Never had an issue with mil-spec surplus before, and realize that there will probably be a couple 'throw aways' out of a box of 500, lol. Also wondering how reliable the company is as well.

— George Mason

Last edited by 308Gunner; September 2, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

I have used their pistol ammunition for years. Never a problem, and I'm very fond of their 185gr .44 Special loads.

During the Great Ammo Panic of 2009, they were ramping up production, and there were some problems with their .223 stuff. I saw some of that. I've not heard any further complaints in over two years, however. I've never heard a whisper of trouble with their pistol ammo, though.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3
shootniron

I have shot thousands of rounds of their .223 and several thousand cumulative rounds of several calibers of their canned heat centerfire handgun ammo and have never had an issue with it.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
surveyor

no problems with 45,38,9mm,308

i've been using it for 7+ yrs

the 308 match in 168 gr groups real well
Old September 5, 2011, 07:08 PM   #5
ohen cepel

I haven't shot a ton of their stuff. However, the 500 or so round I have shot were all good stuff.

I would buy from them again without hesitation.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old September 5, 2011, 07:40 PM   #6
armsmaster270

I'm a satisfied customer.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:48 PM   #7
MLeake

I haven't shot any GA .40.

I've gone through around 2000 rounds of Canned Heat .38 158 SWC and LSWCHP, and around 2000 rounds of Canned Heat .45 185gr FMJ, and another 1000 Canned Heat 9mm 115gr FMJ, though.

No failures so far with any of it.

The lead rounds are on the dirty side, but work well.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:54 AM   #8
PigFarmer

I order from them on a regular basis for my .40. Love it and if you buy the canned heat you have an extra ammo can after your done. And you can never have enough of those.
Old September 7, 2011, 03:19 PM   #9
308Gunner

Guess I'll give 'em a go Thanks for all the input, guys.

— George Mason
Old September 7, 2011, 03:57 PM   #10
greentick

I thought their 30 carbine was a little anemic BUT it did go bang every time and make a hole in the paper, can etc without any noticable accuracy issues.

Their 10mm "+P" was also on the anemic side at 1050fps IMO. Otherwise worked fine.

They did have good prices tho.
Old September 10, 2011, 12:28 PM   #11
brmfan

GA's 175 results

Here's a group I shot this morning with some GA's 175 match loads I recently ordered. I was using a Remington 5R mounted in an AICS II stock (unbedded), Sightron SIII, and shot off the bench @ 100 yards using a bipod.

** One thing I forgot about GA bulk ammo is that they try to stick with the same brass per lot, but usually you get some different brands thrown in so you need to sort out the rounds (which I forgot to do) if you are going for top accuracy. Sometimes you get mostly Lake City, other times Winchester etc. Just someting to keep in mind.

Anyway... The group in the pic (which got turned 90 degress when I uploaded it so it looks like the shots strung horizontal) was 4 shots using all reloaded Lake City brass, and the lower 'flyer' was fired from a Remington case, so I'm going with that as my excuse!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GA175M.JPG (72.3 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by brmfan; September 10, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old September 10, 2011, 07:27 PM   #12
jmr40

I live about 1/2 hour from where they make their ammo and have bought straight from the factory. They also have a table at all gunshows so I often stock up when at a show. I've used their pistol ammo almost exclusively for years without a single problem.

I reload my rifle ammo and can do better accuracy wise for less money so I've used much less of the rifle ammo, but never had any problems with what I've shot.

Since they will let me bring back my used handgun brass and give me a credit towards my next purchase I've found it easier to just buy my handgun ammo from them and return the used brass and let them reload it.
Old October 15, 2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Wishoot

Brand-new GA customer here.

Just fired a couple hundred rounds of their .38 spl. The brass was in great shape and each round fired as promised. Pretty darn accurate too. Placing another order for some .357 and 40 s&w soon.
Old October 16, 2011, 07:55 PM   #14
NickW

I can’t say enough good things about GA, I’ve been buying their Pistol ammo for years and never had a problem until a month ago when I purchased 50 rds of .44 mag GA range loads to shoot in my 329NG. To make a long story short, the recoil is so quick on these scandium framed revolvers that the kinetic energy pulls the bullets out of the brass, the result are bullets sticking too far out of the shells keeping the cylinder from rotating. I informed GA of this and they immediately offered to replaced the ammo or refund my money, they were very apologetic and only requested that I return the unused ammo to them so their lab could check it out. Apparently many manufactures are having the same problem in high performance light weight big bore pistols to the point that the big manufactures have started adding glue too. Great Customer Service.
Old October 16, 2011, 10:38 PM   #15
Crazy88Fingers

Luckily they set up a (large) table at my local gun show about every other month. So I can stock up while they're in town. As greentick pointed out, the loads are a bit on the light side; they are practice rounds. But they do go bang, and generally go where I point them. I'm working my way through some Canned Heat .38s and some other revolver calibers. So far, so good.
Old October 18, 2011, 04:21 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

store-bought?

Recommend.
Old October 24, 2011, 09:48 PM   #17
22-rimfire

The load quality stuff consistantly. Buy with confidence.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:34 PM   #18
shooter_john

My employer (a county sheriff's office) uses GA Arms ammo exclusively for training ammo. The pistol stuff seems very consistent and reliable.
The rifle ammo that we have however (.223 Rem) is JUNK as far as accuracy is concerned, and I've had some other issues with it as well.

One day I was running of it through my Arsenal AK in .223 and I found that I was getting A LOT of pierced primers. Those that didn't get completely puched through were either badly cratered or otherwise mangled more so than would seem appropriate. So, the next time we qual'd on patrol rifles (DPMS AR's) I checked some of the spent cases from the AR's and noticed a similar trend. The AR rounds weren't nearly as bad (out of the 2-3 handfuls I picked up none were pierced) but a lot of them were still cratered or deformed in their appearance. Needless to say none of that ammo will find itself in my AK ever again, and I couldn't tell you a lot number or manufacture date on the batch those rounds came from. I'm simply telling about a couple of experiences I've personally had with it.

As for the accuracy, I shot some of the GA Arms stuff at an Appleseed and shot a 213. I then switched over to some Hornady TAP and shot a 236. That is significant improvement that was made simply by swapping ammo.
Old October 28, 2011, 11:52 AM   #19
Major Dave (retired)

BRMFAN, why didn't you

lay out a nickle, dime, penny, etc.? The dollar bill just doesn't visually "click" in MY brain.

I'm just saying.
Old October 28, 2011, 02:06 PM   #20
brmfan

Major Dave,
I didn't have any coins on me at the time. I tried to hold up a spent .22 case but my fat fingers got too much in the way to achieve any sort of scale.