The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 25, 2011, 04:07 PM   #1
blincoln

Bulk Ammo Online to Save Money?

Hello,

I went out this weekend with some friends to "break in" the new 92FS... It was a blast, though I went through my 100 rounds relatively quickly.

Are there any decent online sources for purchasing of bulk lower-end 9mm ammo? I am thinking that there has got to be a source that would allow me a cost break if I buy 1000-2000 rounds at a time...

Also - Are there any ammo manufacturers that I should stear clear of? No point in buying 1000 rounds if half are duds...

Thanks!
Old July 25, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
chack

here's 1000 rds for $165:
http://www.surplusammo.com/products/...s%2C-Bulk.html
Old July 25, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
AK103K

Winchester 100 round "value packs" at Walmart are still one of the better deals for 9mm. Basically case lot prices by the box.

I use Ammoman (www.ammoman.com) for most of my bulk ammo. He usually has Federal and Speer at reasonable prices. His price also includes delivery, so while it may look high at first blush, it really isnt. A lot of the other guys suck you in with a cheaper price on the first page, and then beat you up on shipping on the last page when you check out, and more often than not, end up costing you a bit more.
Old July 25, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
sandbag

Online Ammo

Graf&Sons of Missouri and Ammoman of NJ both have decent prices and NO shipping charge,which usually negates the savings on ammo purchased online.
I've never had a speck of trouble with either distributor.
Graf has the nicest people who take calls.They charge a miniscule service sharge which is the same on any order.
Occasionally they will waive it for a large order as a promotion or sometimes they include extras gratis-I've gotten a set of BSA binoculars and some neat targets that show yellow when hit-I forget the brand name.
Graf can get almost any caliber that is available-heck,they sent me some 8mm Nambu a few years back.
Ammoman has no sevice charge,but has a more limited selection of calibers and brands-they seem to really like Federal.
Old July 25, 2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Silent Titan

Yeah its easy to blow through 100 rounds fast. I almost never go to the range with less than 300 rounds + a few hundred .22's. I get most of my 9mm from Dicks Sporting Goods. If you pay attention to thier weekly adds the will do buy one get one half off on bulk packs, whenever I see that I go stock up. Im sure its not the best deal around but its brass cased ammo for a decent price (my local range really only has two requirements for ammo, no AP rounds and only brass cases). The store closest to my house keeps lots of UMC and WWB bulk packs in stock.
Old July 25, 2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Billy Shears

Graf & Sons occasionally has good deals as do some of the other major online sellers, but if you save your brass and buy yourself a $35 Lee Hand Press you can load up your own bulk ammo for about $6.50 a box. Just a thought...

PS...and congrats on the new Beretta. Fine pistols.
Old July 25, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Martowski

Sportsman's Warehouse on Gunbroker routinely sells 1,000 rounds of name brand reloadable 9mm for $200 (shipping included).
Old July 25, 2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Mike38

Dittos on ammoman.com. They have 1000 rounds of 9mm 115gr Wolf for $189 shipped. That’s $9.45 per box of 50. I’ve run 2000 rounds of it threw my 92FS with zero problems.
Old July 25, 2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Jo6pak

Shop Locally

I always prefer to shop locally. Yes, I may pay a little more, but it supports my neighborhood gun shop. At my favorite gun shop, I can usually get pretty good deals because they know I'm a frequent customer.
I just picked up some 6.5 Swede cartridges. Winchester 140gr SP marked at $27/box. He gave me 4 boxes for $90.
He helped me, I helped him, and he'll be there next time I need something
Old July 25, 2011, 07:45 PM   #10
jaydubya

The least expensive 9mm ammo that I know of comes from www.mastercast.net, a reloading service. I have fired more than seven thousand (stopped counting) of their reloads with no problems (and have four hundred more, the remains of my latest thousand, in the garage waiting to be fired). Mastercast is a mom and pop operation (her name is Pat) in rural NW Pennsylvania. Prompt, reliable and inexpensive -- exactly the sort of enterprise we should support.

As you check their prices, you will see two columns -- one without spent brass in exchange, and one with. The savings from sending them your brass is considerable (same number and type). I save a bundle more by sending my brass via USPS Priority Mail. I can get 1,500 9mm cases in a ten dollar box, five hundred in their five dollar envelope. I know of no cheaper way to do this.

Cordially, Jack
Old July 25, 2011, 09:09 PM   #11
joelcaldwell

blincoln checkout cheaperthandirt.com they are fair.
Old July 25, 2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Martowski

BTW, I also recently bought 250 rounds of 9mm FMJ 115 gr. S&B ammo (brass case, reloadable) from Sportsman's Guide for $53 and that included shipping. I am a Buyer's Club member which reduces the price, and then you can always find a code online to use for $10 off if you're Buyer's Club (and no minimum purchase). Not a bad deal either.
Old July 25, 2011, 11:26 PM   #13
MikeNice81

I always use SG Ammo or Ammunition To Go.

Ammunition to go has 1,000 rounds of Aguila 124gr FMJ for $218 shipped. I would prefer that to 115gr Wolf. 124gr is probably closer to what most people shoot. In my opinion that is worth a little extra.

You can get 1,000 rounds of Winchester Ranger 147gr FMJ from SG Ammo for the same price. They also have 1,000 rounds of Brown Bear 115gr for $185.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:44 AM   #14
tahunua001

surplusammo.com, luckygunner.com, ammotogo.com are all decent sites, usa is running specials on once fired reloads I think it's $170 per 1000 115gr brass. one brand I'd stay away from would be independence ammo. I had to use it for my M9 quals and after my first battery(fire 2 shots in 4 seconds) I had 5 holes in my target. knowing that I'm not newb enough to fire 5 times from 2 conseous pulls of the trigger I called a safety time out and the instructor told me that the jackets were actually stripping off in the barrel effectively turning my M9 into a flechette gun. nothing like trying to score a target that's full of shrapnel holes!
Old July 26, 2011, 11:00 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

+1 w/ cheaperthandirt.com they're really good to me
Old July 26, 2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Mrgunsngear

slickguns.com has all kinds of deals posted if you search the ammo button. They're always changing so you have to watch it but there are good deals to be had.
Old July 26, 2011, 11:20 AM   #17
C0untZer0

In Illinois I can't purchase ammo without a FOID, but I'm not sure how people in IL purchase ammo online - or if they can.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Old July 26, 2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Mike38

Quote:
In Illinois I can't purchase ammo without a FOID, but I'm not sure how people in IL purchase ammo online - or if they can.

Does anyone have any info on this?

I’m from Illinois and just this morning got 1000 rounds of 5.56 SS109 from ammoman.com.

What you have to do, at least for them, is mail via USPS a copy of your drivers licence, you FOID card, and a signed form that you can download off of their web site. Just look for the link that says something like “Illinois customers click here” or something to that effect. You then mail everything to the PO Box provided. Wait a week or so, so you know they have received your info, then buy what you want on-line. They keep your info on file so you don’t have to send it every time you buy ammo.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:15 PM   #19
jonboyc

I've spent many an hour online searching for great deals. Buying bulk can save you a couple bucks a box but it wasn't anything that blew me away. So I decided to spend 200 bucks and start reloading my own and I've never looked back. Sorry if this doesn't exactly answer your question, but if you really want to save and you shoot a lot it's a great way to save some bucks plus you can mess around with different powder loads and OAL's and find a recipe that really works for you and your gun. Just a thought.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:22 PM   #20
Martowski

Good point. Not counting the cost of brass or dies/press/etc., you can reload for less than $5.00/box for 9mm. 9mm brass can be found very cheaply.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:59 PM   #21
jonboyc

I frequent one of the more popular ranges in my area and always ask them if I can take some brass home with me. I usually take enough to offset my range cost for the day. So I've managed to eliminate my brass costs. After adding everything up I'm able to produce a box of ammo(50 rounds) for around 6 bucks. Now that's buying smaller quantities. If I were to buy 500 to 1000 rounds worth of material at a time I can save another dollar a box. Plus, as I said, it's fun tinkering with recipes, and you get a certain sense of satisfaction rolling your own. It's certainly impressed my grandfather and gives us something to do together.
Old July 26, 2011, 02:00 PM   #22
abercasten

http://www.tacticalammunition.com/ has 115gr TMJ for $155 as "seconds". I've bought thousands of rounds of their blem ammo, usually just fingerprints, nicks, dings,etc. Great service and never a problem. They ship in military ammo cans from Oregon.
Old July 26, 2011, 02:01 PM   #23
model18

http://www.weaponsworld.com/

exc prices & service!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 26, 2011, 03:40 PM   #24
Roland Thunder

I've noticed most gun manufacturers state in the owners manual that using reloads can void the warranty. My Glock owners manual certainly says that and so does my Kahr manual.

Maybe there in cahoots with the ammo mfgrs.
Old July 27, 2011, 01:52 PM   #25
C0untZer0

Thanks Mike38 !

Tags
9mm ammo , ammo , ammunition , bulk ammo