The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 2, 2005, 02:29 PM   #51
Blind Tree Frog

Quote:
I don't understand how that Emerson Commander can be opened so fast - looks like an auto-knife....
It appears to have a hook on the back of the blade. So when you draw, you drag it against your pocket and it gets pulled open as you pull it out. I'm not that impressed with it really as an opening mech if i'm seeing correctly
Old February 2, 2005, 02:47 PM   #52
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyer Daggit
There have been problems- particularly at night spots in Sydney of people having a few to drink, becoming beligerent and knifing someone.
Maybe y'all should ban alcohol and night clubs. They sound dangerous.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old February 2, 2005, 03:46 PM   #53
Rojoe67

I like my little cheap Buck Lite folder.......darn thing went through a lot of calenders, deer hides, cardboard, rope, and foreign countries. I think it has about a 2 and 3/4" blade. I bet it has seen the fix- it stone a good dozen times. When I finish making a deer into table fare I boil it for about 5 minutes and wipe it off..... I think Buck is almost all import now? Got mine for under $20.00 back in 85.

I should say a few other knives I like are products built by Marbles Outdoors - of Gladstone, MI and a company called Bark River Knives make some nice tools too. These tend to be more of a hunting - camping type of line up but some darn nice knives.... made in the USA.
Old February 3, 2005, 05:05 AM   #54
LAK

Blind Tree Frog
Quote:
Any reason a diving knife would be a bad choice?
I rather like the Benchmade BM100SH2O dive, rafting and rescue knife. Of course their 140 Nimravus is very tough too.
Old February 3, 2005, 06:23 AM   #55
SNoB

Quote:
I don't understand how that Emerson Commander can be opened so fast - looks like an auto-knife....

I can open any of my non-spirng assist kershaws as fast as any automatic.......... *shrugs* its all the action of the knife and practice.
Old February 3, 2005, 08:33 AM   #56
smsdba

Just got this one....

from Cops Plus

Site has the best prices I've seen on lots of stuff.

This ones $41.25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cold Steel 58LC Night Force.jpg (23.8 KB, 45 views)
Old February 3, 2005, 07:00 PM   #57
cyf7tkwl

My self-defense weapon of first choice is a Glock 21; I do usually carry a folding knife, a Benchmade Stryker 905 to stay within my state's legal limit for concealed knives.

I think a knife intended for defensive purposes should be fixed-blade. You may not have time to open a folding knife. In many states, including mine, balisongs and auto-opening knives are equally illegal. If blade-length is not a legal consideration, the Benchmade model 141 Nimravus Tanto would be my choice. I may get one anyway, to keep at home as an art object.
Old February 3, 2005, 08:51 PM   #58
Blind Tree Frog

A good quality folder can be drawn and opened in the same about of time as a fixed blade knife.
Old February 3, 2005, 09:36 PM   #59
MrBill

I think pocket knives are a good thing to have/carry. I've owned and carried Spyderco's. I've lost all of them, about five. In a pinch, if properly motivated, you can at least cause severe damage to an attacker, he ain't gonna get away free.
Old February 3, 2005, 09:55 PM   #60
U.F.O.

Couple more thoughts on carry knives.

1. Carry two knives. Carry a small utility knife like a Case or a baby Swiss Army for everyday cutting needs. The small SA is wonderfully versatile as it has a knife, screwdriver, scissors etc. This will reduce wear to the blade of your defensive knife.

2. Keep all your knives sharp. Everyone's heard that a dull knife is dangerous. Buy a good sharpening stone and use it regularly.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old February 5, 2005, 02:40 PM   #61
wasteland

Nice topic.

My recommendation....get a Peacekeeper II made by Cold Steel.

That's all.
Old February 5, 2005, 07:47 PM   #62
tvdilbert

Quote:
A good quality folder can be drawn and opened in the same about of time as a fixed blade knife.
How so? To deploy a folder, you have to remove it from its carry location, then open it, then establish your grip. With a fixed blade, you remove it and its ready to go.

Quote:
It appears to have a hook on the back of the blade. So when you draw, you drag it against your pocket and it gets pulled open as you pull it out. I'm not that impressed with it really as an opening mech if i'm seeing correctly
Yo are seeing it correctly, but I'm not sure why you're underwhelmed. What would impress you more, if it were some sort of fancy mechanical doodad instead of a simple hook? It shouldn't be HOW it gets open so fast, it should be the fact that it just opens that fast that impresses you.

I've played with several different opening styles - auto, assisted open, inertia open, wave, fixed blade - and the fastest from a strict deployment is the fixed blade. The fastest folder option, bar none, is a "waved" knife. It doesn't have to be an Emerson -- it could be a modded Spyderco, but a waved knife is open the moment it clears the pocket. Anything else has to be removed from the pocket before it's open. Shoot, I could probably be on target with my Emerson SOCFK faster than I could with a concealed fixed blade.

If you're serious about carrying a knife for defensive purposes and you can do so legally, go with a fixed blade. Barring that, take a look at the Emerson demo video. Look at it again, and think about some sort of "waved" knife.

Quote:
I agree and know first hand how fast a knife from 25 yards can become a deadly weapon.
The Tueller Drill, the study everyone is thinking about gives us a distance of 21 FEET. 25 YARDs is over three times that distance. IIRC it is also based on the knife being already deployed and the firearm being holstered. In real life terms it should really mean something more like: If they're within ten yards, they're a threat.

Not trying to needle you on the above point, but there's a big difference in 25 feet and 25 yards. If you're worried about guys 25 yards away you'd better start watching people halfway down the block.

Quote:
Don't carry a knife for self-defence unless you are very skilled in knife-combat. Otherwise your own knife might quickly turn against you.
So we shouldn't carry our pistols if we aren't an expert gunfighter? If we aren't going to let the anti's use that against us in regards to handguns, how can you apply it to knives? We aren't talking about formal, polite blade dueling here people. Knife fights aren't going to be long and drawn out like in the movies -- they're going to be short, brutal, and messy.

- Jon -
Old February 6, 2005, 05:14 PM   #63
Blind Tree Frog

Quote:
How so? To deploy a folder, you have to remove it from its carry location, then open it, then establish your grip. With a fixed blade, you remove it and its ready to go.
A good quality knife is generally "loose" enough that a simple flick of the wrist is all that is needed to open it. Since they are generally shorter then fixed blades knives they clear their holster faster.

since the wrist flick can be done as part of the motion towards your opponent, the knife can be opened as it moves towards him which leaves you with an open blade moving towards your opponent and an adequete grip for the initial attack.

If you are really worried about your grip being wrong, you are opneing the knife wrong. The only readjustment you should need to do is slide your finger tips forward about half an inch.

With a balisong, you open the knife, hold one handle and let the other rest against your hand. Again, this is done on the attack.

Since folders are shorter then fixed blades, they have the capability to get into the fight faster (consider a compact pistol to a full size), but you have a weakness in that there are joints that can fail if not properly maintained.
Old February 6, 2005, 11:52 PM   #64
Lawyer Daggit

tyme

I don't think banning anything works.
Old February 7, 2005, 01:01 PM   #65
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I certainly agree with Lawyer Daggit's thoughts about banning...anything.

Tueller drill? Only guy I know personally who tried it for real from the knife perspective is dead. Something about a 20 gauge slug in his solar plexus just ruined things for him. Michael Warren Williams. February 25, 1982. Augusta, Georgia. Damn fool. Six weeks before his death, I warned him about that knife. Told him that it was not a defensive weapon and that as an offensive weapon that you'd best have dealt a mortal wound before your opponent realizes you have a knife. He didn't listen.

Shock and awe? AKA the intimidation factor? Intimidate me with a knife and I'll shoot you.

Had a guy suddenly attack me from a distance of four feet.
I got off his line of attack and was drawing my handgun for the purpose of going for slide lock. He suddenly realized two things: 1) He couldn't reach me in time. 2) Maybe he should quit and hope for mercy. Accordingly, he dropped his weapon and ceased his assault. Therefore, I ceased my defense and let the scum live. Apparently the Tueller drill assumes that you will just stand in the line of attack while trying to draw. I'm not the fastest around by any means. Hand slapping shows I'm a bit below average. By getting off the line of attack, I can beat the Tueller drill easily. I can beat an attack that initiates at four feet. So can you.

Oh, yeah. I carry a Spyderco Native. It'll do for pocket knife tasks such a box and twine cutting. It's cheap enough that if some official henchmen decide they want it that I don't have to hurt them. Fixed blades? I used to carry one. Try explaining that to a cop. Unless you live in a state where a carry permit allows you to carry such...you won't like the outcome of the conversation.
Old February 10, 2005, 07:45 PM   #66
futureforcewarrior22

My Grandfather's old K-Bar works well enough for me.
Old February 10, 2005, 09:59 PM   #67
ethernectar

Well, I'll speak up for the guys that buy knives 'because they're cool'. Have never really been 'into' knives, but bought a couple TOPS knives at a gun show just recently. They're very nice, and definitely 'evil' looking.

But when I'm camping or on a trip, I carry a great linerlock from Spyderco. Its a Bob Terzoula Special - and left-handed. Pretty rare I'm sure, but it works fantastic. When I carry it, I'm always checking to make sure its secure. Its irreplacable, some fond memories attached, and they're simply not out there available anymore...Its a fine piece of equipment.

matt
Old February 11, 2005, 03:42 AM   #68
JamesD

I actually do carry a knife for self defense--but mostly for utility. I don't carry a gun concealed, because it just isn't for me.

Since the primary purpose of my knives is utility, I usually carry one of my folding knives. I wouldn't really want to use them for self defense, though.. too unhandy.

When I feel the need, I carry one of my fixed-blade knives. They're all single-edge, 4-6" blades. Each has a neat feature or two (except the 4" Gerber... it's just your basic cutting implement). When I do carry them, however, I don't carry them concealed. They hang on my belt, fully or at least partially exposed under a jacket.

For self-defense, I prefer a single edge, longer blade, and as sharp as I can get it.
Old February 17, 2005, 06:03 PM   #69

I carry a BOKER® APPLEGATE 9'' BOOT KNIFE for everyday use and add a MASTERS OF DEFENSE DIETER CQD® COMBAT 3.75'' BLADE FOLDER while on duty.
Old February 24, 2005, 10:14 PM   #70
rugerman13

I guess like everyone else here I one like brand over another. Kershaw makes a good knife as well as CRKT and Gerber. I perfer my SOG Flash.
Like the kershaw it is assisted opening as well. If you get one you need to get one that feels good in your hand, if not you'll never be happy with it.