The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2009, 02:55 PM   #1
haskins02

Bullet Crimp Questions

I plan to begin reloading .308 Win (for Browning X-bolt). I plan to load Sierra bullets using the Lee Deluxe Rifle Die set (neck sizing + full sizing + seating dies). The bullets I plan to load do NOT have a crimp groove. I read that such bullets should NEVER be crimped in place using a bullet seating die, and that if crimping is desired, use a separate “factory crimp” die. I will be doing informal target shooting most of the time and occasional hunting.

Questions:

1. Do I really need to crimp these bullets?

2. Is it true I cannot use a bullet seating die to crimp bullets with no crimp groove?

3. Under what circumstances would I need a separate factory crimp die?

4. (on a related matter) If using reloaded rounds for hunting, I read that full case sizing, not neck-only sizing, should be performed. But does this rule still apply if my cartridges will be kept housed and protected in the X-Bolt’s detachable magazine (instead of loose individual rounds being loaded and unloaded from an internal magazine)?

Thanks.

Greg
Old June 13, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
QBall45

1. I always crimp. Using a LEE Factory Crimp die. Is this necessary with your bolt gun? Probably not. But I would.

2. you can not crimp using LEE's seating die for rifle cart. Get a seperate crimp die. This is not true with their pistol dies.

3. For me...Under all conditions for all cart's I crimp. This is what factory ammo is so I do it as well. For me it insures same neck/bullet tension for every round.

4. For Hunting... Yes I would full length size every round if you will be using your reloads. Do you what to have to take a follow up shot and suddenly find that you can't close the bolt? Full lenght size for hunting with your bolt gun and neck size only for your accuracy/target work.
Old June 13, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3
smoakingun

Do you need to crimp, not really, but if you do a little searching on this site, you'll find this topic has been thououghly discussed.

As to resizing, pay attention to haskins02, the accuracy gained from neck sizing only won't be noticed in the field.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old June 15, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
haskins02

Thank you all for taking the time and answering my questions!

Greg
Old June 15, 2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Shoney

1. Do I really need to crimp these bullets?
NO! If the expander ball in the sizing die is the right size, then the neck tension of the case is sufficient to hold the bullet. I do not apply a crimp with either cannelured and non cannelured bullets, including 300Winmag and 338WinMag. I do apply a crimp to 375H&H.

2. Is it true I cannot use a bullet seating die to crimp bullets with no crimp groove?
Not true. The seating die for bottlenecked cartridges will apply a crimp if it is set to do so. Again, see 1 above.

If the question is , "Should I apply a crimp to noncannelure bullets?" NO! Because it will squeeze down into the bullet, most probably causing accuracy problems.

I set my seat/crimp die by first screwing out the seating stem and with the case at top dead center (be aware that most presses reach TDC then cam over and go down slightly at the end of the upstroke) screw the die down until it just kisses the mouth of the case; then the seating stem is adjusted so the bullet is at the proper OAL.

3. Under what circumstances would I need a separate factory crimp die?
There are a lot of people who swear by the LFC die. In all the cartridges the I have used them on, both pistol and rifle, I have not seen any appreciable difference, so I do not use them. Many other experienced loaders have stated they are great for cleaning up bad reloading techniques.

4. (on a related matter) If using reloaded rounds for hunting, I read that full case sizing, not neck-only sizing, should be performed. But does this rule still apply if my cartridges will be kept housed and protected in the X-Bolt’s detachable magazine (instead of loose individual rounds being loaded and unloaded from an internal magazine)?
There are some instances where a full length resize is prudent; for semi-auto rifles, and rifles with very tight chambers.

I use neck sized ammo in all my hunting rifles, but I chamber each and every round to make sure there is not a problem. Neck sizing does not increase accuracy, it extends the life of the brass.

The problem comes in when the brass has been reloaded 4-6 times, depending on cartridge, it expands beyond normal tolerances and the bolt becomes hard to close. It then needs to be full length resized again to insure flawless feeding.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111