The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2009, 11:40 PM   #51
gdeal

Quote:
In any event a double charge can kill you at worse. Here is an example of a slightly overloaded round, my first ever.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=367060
wow man. that's scary. maybe I shouldn't reload now.
Old August 14, 2009, 12:07 AM   #52
dmazur

Quote:
You can get distracted at the wrong time and never notice.
I used to be paranoid about double charging on the 550B, but I have since adopted a practice which I believe should be used by everyone who uses this press -

Never turn your back on the press with the handle up. If you absolutely have to be interrupted, leave the handle down (mid-stroke). Then, when you come back to the reloading area after taking care of whatever was more important (is there such a thing?), you return the handle to the "up" position, index, insert brass at station 1 / bullet at station 3 and continue.

IMO, this simple safety practice makes it virtually impossible to pull the handle twice without indexing.

(As every stroke seats a bullet, the presence of a seated bullet at station 3 is another clue that you've completed a stroke and need to index...)
Old August 14, 2009, 02:06 PM   #53
BigJimP

Looking into a case is easier said than done ( unless you remove every case you load from the press - then put it back ) and depending on the powder you use, can you tell if its off by 0.3 gr - probably not .....

No press is fool-proof / you can mess up on any press - get a squib round or get a double charge or inaccurate powder drops ----- guys that don't read their manuals, they might be sloppy in setup, they leave a set screw loose, they short cycle the press ...... all kinds of things....

To some extent you can help yourself by picking a bulky powder - so if you double charge it / it'll overflow the case or be real obvious .

A no drop is dangerous / and you have to look in every case ( or rig a mirror so you can look in ) - or use a powder check. Powder check systems are not infallable either - you have to understand them, adjust them, and use them .....

Reloading is a very safe practice / if done with the proper attitude and good quality controls. It isn't for everyone .....but it isn't difficult either if you follow good procedures, check things carefully and use common sense.