The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 27, 2018, 01:59 PM   #1
kmw1954

Ammunition tax

While driving home this afternoon with the radio on I caught part of a story The some congress person just summited a bill to enact an ammunition tax. I didn't catch where or who.

The radio was on channel 560am Chicago. Now I already know that Cook County Illinois already has an ammunition sales tax but this story wasn't about that. This was a new bill today!

I did a quick search in the interweb and cannot find anything.
Old February 27, 2018, 02:08 PM   #2
FITASC

The Feds already put 11% excise tax on all guns and ammo; anything more should be considered an unreasonable burden
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 27, 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
kmw1954

From the story I thought I was hearing this sounded to be something similar to the Cook County tax. My impression was it was like the cigarette taxes that were passed as a Sin Tax.
Old February 27, 2018, 02:23 PM   #4
TXAZ

I'm remembering back several decades....

After most incidents ("never letting a good crisis go to waste" as 1 Chicago politician plagiarized from a EU pol), there is a call to action for:

Taxing (whatever it is into oblivion)
Banning (everything related to the incident)
Registering what you can't ban (something your opposition doesn't like)

With few exceptions, this and "new legislation" by a Jr. Rhode Island congressman for the AWB circa 2014-now-2018 isn't going anywhere.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 27, 2018, 02:55 PM   #5
kmw1954

Again I am not sure this is what I heard but I did just find this. Dated today! And of course this is out of Illinois!

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/news...-tax/992628589
Old February 27, 2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Tom2

I saw something about they wanted to raise it to 20% or something. Basically a punitive measure against legal owners and nothing more.
Old February 27, 2018, 04:17 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954
Again I am not sure this is what I heard but I did just find this. Dated today! And of course this is out of Illinois!

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/news...-tax/992628589
From the article...
Quote:
The bill will increase federal taxes on shells and cartridges from 11% to 50%. For pistols and revolvers, teh [sic] tax would increase from 10% to 20%. The same would go for firearms, including assault weapons.
Does this person believe that pistols and revolvers are not firearms?

Hopefully someone here will post a new link written by someone capable of spelling words properly and writing things that make sense.
Old February 27, 2018, 05:37 PM   #8
Lucas McCain

The Pittman-Robinson act puts a tax on all firearms, ammunition and fishing tackle. These tax monies are then returned to all states, earmarked for conservation programs. It has been going on for few decades now. After Obama took office and the panic buying kicked in there was millions of dollars returned to the states. The Natural Resource Depts got used to those big checks but now that the trump slump has kicked in, the checks aren't so big anymore. That more than likely is going to cause hunting and fishing licensee increases.
Old February 27, 2018, 06:51 PM   #9
kmw1954

Again, sorry, though my impression was that this will be very similar in nature and intent as the Cook County Illinois Tax which is 5 cents per round. Meaning, you can have your firearms but you are going to pay dearly to use them.

Also again kind of like cigarettes in that we cannot ban them but we can tax the hell out of them. That monies was supposed to go back to treat smokers. Yeah right!!!!
Old February 27, 2018, 06:52 PM   #10
s3779m

Quote:
These tax monies are then returned to all states, earmarked for conservation programs.
Wow, and Texas never thanked me for all the tax $ I chipped in.
Old February 28, 2018, 12:21 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

The Pittman-Robinson monies are extremely important to state conservation funding. I believe this money can also be used for state ranges.
I'm not a fan of federal wealth redistribution schemes, but this one is low on my personal list of offending taxes.