The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Powder Measure Problems

I am thinking of getting a new scale/powder measure along the lines of the RCBS Chargemaster combo.
Why? (Because it is neat!) I currently use the Uniflow powder measure and can not get a consistent measure using Unique powder. When I am trying to get 8.0 grains I end up with anywhere between 6.0 - 15.0 grains. I do not know what I am doing wrong, or if it is just the powder... But measuring 400 loads by hand is going to take awhile.

I have no problems with the Uniflow when measuring the 2400 or Universal.

Will the chargemaster combo help with this problem? Or is it just the powder is too big for my uniflow powder measure, and will not work in the automated Chargemaster?

I am pushing a Hornady 200 gr. SWC and I could not find any loads for it with 2400 or universal.
Old August 4, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Sevens

I think the Chargemaster will help you with this. I have heard more positive reviews out of the Lyman DPS 1200... but I don't know how they compare in price.

However, the problem that you are seeing with Unique is, well, somewhat odd.
I say somewhat because (to put it bluntly), Unique SUCKS to meter for all of us with powder measures... but not that flippin' bad! You try for 8.0gr and you end up with a NINE grain spread? You are either embellishing or you have a real problem with that measure.

But yeah, Unique is a well-known PITA for powder measures. I have found the best way to deal with it is to wash my hands of the "combustible dirt" and don't buy any more of it. Yes, it was the greatest stuff on earth from the 1940's to the 1980's, but there are so many more choices today that I have ZERO use for Unique. And I'm also a big proponent of keeping many different powders on hand for specific uses... and the best thing about Unique is that it has so many applications that folks like to keep it as a "do all" powder so they don't have to buy a bunch of others.

Unique is by far the most popular powder that I've ever hated. The best way for me to never have trouble with metering Unique is to never use the stuff.

Unique fans can rejoice... more left on the shelf for them.
Old August 4, 2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Uncle Buck

I assure you I am not embellishing the problem. I am getting partial loads when I work my lever, then I get double loads, and anything in between.
How-ever, I think I am going to join the Unique haters club. I seen it listed as a choice for so many different bullets, I figured I would try it. Well, I have tried it and do not like it. Maybe because it is such a bulky powder compared to the other two powders I have used?

Do you have any loads for a 200 grain lead SWC using Universal or 2400? I have check a few different website and written both companies, but no luck yet.
Old August 4, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I'm with Sevens. Unique is probably the worst powder in my measure (Lee Perfect Powder measure) but it's not THAT bad. I bought Unique when I first started out because it was available and it worked in every revolver I have. But that's when I was trickling and measuring every single load. When that got old, I got my powder measure and some other powders and then I became disillusioned with Unique. It's just kind of inconsistent. I'm still trying to use it up, but now unless I'm just making some low power plinking loads, I weigh every Unique charge my powder measure throws. Here is what I typically see if I throw and measure 10 loads of Unique, say for 8.0 grains and after I have my powder measure all adjusted and it is all settled down:

I can live with 0.2 gr variation no problem. And if it was just 0.4 gr once in a great while, it MIGHT be OK. Usually it's fairly close, but you just never know when it might be off by 0.5 or 0.6. After I found 231 and Tite Group and Trail Boss, I don't have much use for the Unique. And then I finally got my hands on 296 and H110 and I don't think I've opened the bottle of Unique since then.
Old August 4, 2009, 07:20 PM   #5
billcarey

Maybe you should change powders instead of powder measures. I've been using a Uniflow for about 20yrs with the small cylinder and it measures all the way down to 1.5 grains with great consistancy. It meters Accurate powder without surprises.
Old August 4, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
RKG

1) There are many reports of electronic scales being affected by outside influences.

2) There is no way you should get that variability throwing Unique from a Uniflow. I have used one for more years than I'm willing to admit to for throwing Unique and Bullseye charges for pistols, and neither powder varies more than .2 grains (the Bullseye less).

3) Be sure you are using the cylinder with the smaller bore for charges this small.

4) Be sure not to let the powder in the hopper get lower than about the 50-75% full level.

5) After first charging the hopper, throw about ten charges back into the can to get the powder settled. And throw a couple each time after topping off.

6) Develop a consistent action with the cylinder handle, including one good knock on the up stroke and one or two knocks on the down stroke.

The only time I don't fully trust the measure is with match loads for extruded propellants like 4064. There, I set the measure to throw light and finish the charge with a trickler and the scale. By definition, I'm only loading 50 or 100 rounds at a time with these rounds.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Uncle Buck

Quote:
3) Be sure you are using the cylinder with the smaller bore for charges this small.
I am not sure what you mean by this, I read (somewhere) that there is supposed to be two measuring knobs for the uniflow, but I had only one when I opened my rockchucker kit. I did not fully understand why you would change the knobs. Is this the cylinder you are speaking off?

I will eventually change powders, but I hate to think I wasted $15.00 for a pound of this stuff.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Blue

$$

$15 - pretty good price these days. WHere did you get it for that? I want some!
Old August 5, 2009, 11:18 PM   #9
SQUAREKNOT

I have the same problem with the Redding powder dump. I see you can buy the small diameter part and switch it. I have the very large size 11/16" so
Unique and Blue Dot meter like crap. Buy the smaller diameter pistol barrel
size and I think things would get a whole lot better. I'm going to order one this week as I have at least 10 lbs of Unique and Blue Dot
Old August 5, 2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Uncle Buck

Blue, If you promise you are not from Missouri, and live no-where near this state, I will tell you.

PM Sent
Old August 11, 2009, 08:20 AM   #11
Uncle Buck

RCBS Customer Service and You Guys Are Great!

Guys, Thanks for all the help. I got ahold of the RCBS folks yesterday and we figured out I was a knucklehead.

I was using the wrong drop tube (I guess that is what they call the little green thingy that screws into the bottom of the uniflow). The powder was building up behind it and sometimes just a trickle would come out and other times I would get the full measure PLUS what was left in the tube from the previous measure.

I was looking for bridging in the hopper, not the tube. Once I was told where to look, it was so dang obvious I felt like a true knuckle-head.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions. After hearing what you had to say, I figured I had to be doing something wrong. I now have the cleanest Uniflow ever. (Blue - You can not have my Unique now, I am going to at least finish the bottle.)
Old August 11, 2009, 01:50 PM   #12
Shoney

I agree that Unique will throw unevenly in PM's. When I put a double baffle system in my PM, it now throws very accurate charges with all the flake powders.

You can make your own from pop can aluminum with Unclenicks powder baffle template, go to this thread
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ghlight=baffle
go down to post #9
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 11, 2009, 02:22 PM   #13
jaguarxk120

I threw in one of those plastic thingy's from a pizza box ( the one that holds up the top from squashing into the cheese.
Gotta clean it first though. Works fine, not as fancy as a cutout baffle, holds up the powder column just fine. Letting a constant weight of powder on the metering chamber.
Want better than the powder baffles then you need a Belding & Mull powder measure.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Shoney

OK, Lets play another arousing session of Mine's Bigger Than Your!!!!

Get the Promethius powder measure. Process Accuracy: +/- 0.03 grains, thats right 0.03.
http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html
Of course it does cost a little more than an empty pop can or if you choose, and empty adult beverage can.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 11, 2009, 03:59 PM   #15
jaguarxk120

Naa I'd rather setdown with some Blanton's over ice.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Shoney

At my advanced age, I prefer a bracer of prune juice and wine.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:16 PM   #17
jaguarxk120

Since I don't know what your advanced age is I guess it's your option. But it seems the OP did solve his problem.
One thing make sure it's very good wine, I like a red.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Shoney

Why spoil a good wine with medicinal black magic. I use Mad Dog 20/20, and keep the good stuff for sipping.

Last edited by Shoney; August 11, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:27 PM   #19
jaguarxk120

See all that is needed is the wine.
Old August 12, 2009, 12:27 PM   #20
Tuzo

Pleased with the Chargemaster

Last night I reloaded 300 rounds of .223 using IMR 4895 for 100 rounds and H335 for the remainder using the RCBS Chargemaster combination powder measure and scale. Checked the weight with an ancient but reliable and accurate Redding scale every 20 rounds or so and variation was not worth mentioning. The Chargemaster is accurate and fast when set up according to instructions and is not sensitive to air currents when the shield is partially closed over the scale. The "auto" feature saves time and a keystroke. I have been using the Chargemaster for over two years and have had no difficulties. It is certainly easier to use than a manual powder measure, trickler, and analog scale because set up and measuring time is much faster and there is no need to fiddle with frequent powder measure micrometer adjustments.
Old August 12, 2009, 12:47 PM   #21
margiesex

I'm the lucky one....

Frankly, I use Unique all the time - 9's and 40's, and I use the Uniflow on my progressive press.....and yes, I do spot measure......almost always spot on.

Next someone will pick on Bullseye......that's my back up - .38 and 45 - no problem there either.....

I got the good one?

God bless you alll.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!